TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SilentLucidity Offline
Dreamer ♥
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Karina

Question Panic Attacks? - September 14th 2011, 01:27 AM

So about 4 months ago, I started getting what I think are panic attacks. I had never had a panic attack or anything close to one before then, and the first time I had one, it scared me to death. Ever since then I've been having them at least a once a week, if not more.
They also vary in how bad they are. My symptoms when I have them are.. -my chest is super tight, almost so I feel I can't breathe right. -very very shaky hands. -uncontrollable shivers up and down me, like waves of cold prickling fear. -I can't really focus well on anything; my minds almost fogged over. & -before and during I get them, my stomach feels so so sick. I almost always throw up at least once when I get really bad panic attacks.

The main feeling I can pinpoint when I get them is separation, or if I feel like I'm suddenly going to be very alone. For example... say my boyfriend and I get into an argument, or a tough discussion. If it gets bad enough I have this horrible fear that he's going to break up with me or leave me for someone else. And I know he won't, but.. I cannot shake that feeling. And I'm very afraid to be betrayed, or have someone that I trust completely leave me. And I also feel very terrible for thinking these thoughts, and I often blame myself for what I feel and for getting this way.

So, are these panic attacks? And regardless of whether they are or not, how do I stop them?
Any advice would be really appreciated

The hardest ones to love are the ones who need it most

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Panic Attacks? - September 14th 2011, 03:48 AM

They sound like panic attacks. But question, is there ALWAYS a trigger, or do they ever just happen at random?

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cognitive Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Max

Re: Panic Attacks? - September 22nd 2011, 01:11 AM

It sounds like it may be panic attacks, not sure if it is in the clinical sense, usually you get extreme drymouth and sometimes you don't even feel that anxious mentally, and may last for hours. how i've dealt with them is going to a doctor and getting anti-anxiety medication, but i understand not everyone can do that. try to find something that helps calm you down like music or whatever. seeing a doctor would be ideal though.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
kaylalee Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Panic Attacks? - September 24th 2011, 03:36 AM

I used to get panic attacks a lot. Something that helped me was very slow calming music. Preferably without words. Block out the world, close your eyes and focus on that melody playing. Even if you don't usually like that kind of music. Make a conscious effort to slow your breathing, deep breath in, slow exhale. Therapy has helped me, though I know not everyone can go to therapy. The best advice I can give you is sit or lay down, close your eyes, and breathe slow. Music if available. Just ignore the world and everyone in it for a few minutes. Try to go somewhere nice in your mind.

Hope this helps, good luck. xoxo
  Send a message via Skype™ to kaylalee 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
semiunbalanced Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kimmi

Re: Panic Attacks? - September 24th 2011, 04:43 AM

Cognitive - Can I just point out that I have clinical anxiety and I feel mentally anxious when I have anxiety attacks? It depends on the person. (I'm not trying to sound rude at all, btw! haha)

They definitely sounds like panic attacks. I get them when I don't know what's going to happen. Like if I get in a fight with my girlfriend I get scared because I don't know the outcome. I also deal with separation anxiety. Panic attacks are very real and very scary. One thing that helps me prevent them is to stop always thinking about them. The more I think about getting one, the more frequently they happen. I have told a few friends about my panic attacks and I contact them or my parents when I feel like I'm having a panic attack. They are usually able to talk to me softly and help me get through it. If you're in a situation where you feel like you need fresh air, get there. Do what you feel like you need to do. Sip on ice cold water (don't chug it, just sip) to help open your lungs and maybe even avoid tighter clothes (clothes that hug your chest or stomach) for a while until the panic attacks become less frequent. The more relaxed and comfortable I am the less of a chance there is of me having one. Caffeine and sugar are both recommended by doctors in small doses after anxiety attacks to help open up your lungs and try to stay awake after them because I know I get extremely tired afterwards. Just stay awake until you're positive your breathing is back to normal. I know a lot about panic attacks and I have gone through a lot in the past three years because of anxiety. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me! <3 Good luck!

Closed Thread