TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
semiunbalanced Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kimmi

Mini to Severe Panic Attacks - September 25th 2011, 10:29 PM

I've been having trouble with anxiety and panic attacks for about 3 or 4 years now. It's been and off/on thing depending on stress levels and the physical health of me and the people around me. Any little thing that stresses me out sets me off. If I have a test I have to study for and it's too loud in the room next to me I start to hyperventilate. When I'm on the phone with my girlfriend and I'm afraid I might have hurt her or upset her or if she sounds angry with me I start to have an attack. Just today my dad yelled at me to hit the brakes in the car because I was going out driving (I haven't driven in SO long and I need to get my license soon) and he ended up getting mad cause I yelled back. Guess what? I went up to my room and cried and cried until I had hyperventilated enough to feel like my hands, feet, and face had fallen asleep on me. The attacks have been so bad and so constant lately that I'm always exhausted. I've been to the doctor but they just prescribe pills and I HATE taking pills. More than anything in the world... that alone can give me an anxiety attack. I get to the point where I don't even know what's going on around me or where I am... My girlfriend is the only one that ever notices I'm having an attack and she can calm me down to the point of breathing again. My parents never notice cause I'm always up in my room.

I guess what I'm asking is: Is there any reason my attacks might be more frequent and is there a way I can calm myself down? This is getting in the way of my school and work and I can't deal with it anymore. It's affecting my entire life, even my social aspects and it puts me on edge constantly. Plus I'm always exhausted. I'm sick of this.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Mini to Severe Panic Attacks - September 25th 2011, 11:02 PM

Kimmi, everyone panics, but on rare occasions. Yours sound entirely too frequent!

To answer your questions, it's always hard to determine what causes a sudden increase in panic, but we usually look to some issue or event first. However, in your case, the attacks are so frequent and intense and debilitating that the first step would be to get them under control ASAP, and to do that, we use meds. So, even though you don't like taking pills, you might try it for a while and see if they can't stabilize these attacks. that way, you can learn to manage them after you feel a sense of control and security.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
semiunbalanced Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Kimmi

Re: Mini to Severe Panic Attacks - September 29th 2011, 04:08 PM

Is there ANY other way besides pills??

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Mini to Severe Panic Attacks - September 29th 2011, 04:17 PM

Kimmi, you could try seeing a therapist. Maybe if you find a therapist who has some coping techniques for anxiety, you could use those in place of medications. It'd probably be harder to manage without medication, not going to lie (I have Anxiety, and I have to use medication for high-stress situations), but I'm sure it's still possible.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Mini to Severe Panic Attacks - September 29th 2011, 09:26 PM

Anti-anxiety medication isn't always necessary. There are various forms of therapy (ex. Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy, or CBT) that can help you identify the various triggers/stressors that are more likely to "set off" panic attacks. You can also learn more effective ways to cope with the feelings of anxiety. With time, the severity and frequency of your panic attacks may be reduced. =)

Closed Thread