TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
cardio Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Shannan

Question about Panic Attacks - October 13th 2011, 02:46 AM

Is there such a thing as very mild panic attacks? Because for the past 3 or so years, when I get upset (usually an argument with my ex-boyfriend), I have these symptoms:
-tightness in my chest (some pain, but not very bad, mostly just pressure)
-a little more difficult to breathe
-stomach ache/nausea
-uncontrollable shaking
-obsessive behavior (like for example, calling my boyfriend [now ex] a bunch of times, like 2 minutes apart)
-crying or sobbing
-feeling helpless, like everything in the world was going wrong

The reason I ask if there's a such thing as a mild panic attack is because, although these symptoms are difficult to handle and emotionally draining/disturbing, I've never felt like I was dying or having a heart attack, like many people describe. And I also eventually get over them by either crying myself to sleep or my boyfriend answering and not being annoyed with me (when he was annoyed, it made it worse and I would have to resort to the first solution), or occasionally just going out in public/around my parents is enough to make me pretend everything was ok (even though internally I was freaking out) and eventually the symptoms fade.

Last edited by cardio; October 13th 2011 at 03:04 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
oldaccount Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Question about Panic Attacks - October 13th 2011, 04:13 AM

I'm not an expert, but I have panic attacks frequently. I would say, there is such thing. And I want you to know you aren't alone again, I'm no expert, but this is something that would be good to bring up with a doctor, just so he can refer you to someone who can help.
PM me if you'd like to talk

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cardio Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Question about Panic Attacks - October 13th 2011, 04:20 AM

Thank you! I may very well have an anxiety disorder, which I have been told I probably have by a psychologist (not one I went to, but this ex-boyfriend's mom). I'm going to a psychologist in a couple weeks for other (semi-related) reasons, but I think anxiety is the root cause of it all.
And I just realized how related all these things are, all of the 'panic attacks' could be related to anxiety as well as how much I stress over tiny little things (like not knowing the exact place to go for this appointment even though I know the building and floor), how my ex-boyfriend would always comment on how tense my muscles were whenever he would give me a massage, how I clench my jaw most of the time, how I often have a hard time taking deep breaths, etc.
It actually feels better to know that these might be small panic attacks because that means there's something wrong that can be fixed, it's not just me being awful at relationships/arguments.

I remember I think the worst time was last New Years I wanted a New Years kiss because the year before my boyfriend had been on vacation with his family and the year before that was right before we were dating and I chickened out on his invite to his New Years party. But anyway, his family went to the beach this past year for New Years and I was upset about that but he said he'd ask if I could drive to visit them (only like 1 hour drive) on New Years Eve and leave the next day or the day after. And they of course said no because they usually said no to that sort of thing. And I just flipped out, sobbing and shaking in my room, on the phone with him and he got very annoyed with how I was reacting so he was yelling (I don't mean like screaming, I just can't think of a word for talking angrily) at me on the phone and that just made it so much worse and I'm in my bed just trembling and sobbing like crazy for hours. It was like I knew it was irrational, but I felt like I just couldn't control how upset I was and the worse I felt about how irrational I was being and how much I was annoying my boyfriend, the worse I felt overall and just got more and more upset.

Last edited by cardio; October 13th 2011 at 04:45 AM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: Question about Panic Attacks - October 13th 2011, 07:10 AM

I think there is such a thing as mild panic attacks. I have ones where, although I get the feelings of heartattacks/dying/whatever, they don't last as long as people say they do. So I think it probably just depends on the person, but it sounds like it's still a panic attack.

I hope you get these sorted out. x

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Question about Panic Attacks - October 13th 2011, 07:22 AM

I think I had one today... ?
I'm not sure if it's called a panic attack, maybe an episode of extreme anxiety. I would talk to a psychologist about it, maybe just your school counselor, just to ask some questions. Because we are not professionals, we do not know exactly.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
cardio Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Question about Panic Attacks - October 13th 2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionLover View Post
I think there is such a thing as mild panic attacks. I have ones where, although I get the feelings of heartattacks/dying/whatever, they don't last as long as people say they do. So I think it probably just depends on the person, but it sounds like it's still a panic attack.

I hope you get these sorted out. x
Thank you! I hopefully will very soon! It's such a relief actually that it might not be entirely my fault that I caused so many problems for so many people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee❤ View Post
I think I had one today... ?
I'm not sure if it's called a panic attack, maybe an episode of extreme anxiety. I would talk to a psychologist about it, maybe just your school counselor, just to ask some questions. Because we are not professionals, we do not know exactly.
Yeah, something like that. My college actually has 3 psychologists that are there every weekday and have appointments as well as walk-ins during certain hours. I have an appointment for a little less than 2 weeks because they couldn't fit me in sooner (I had classes during all the other open spots). But tonight, I was having pretty bad anxiety tonight where my chest felt all heavy and I've had a hard time taking deep breaths all evening...so I think I'm going to go to a walk-in appointment tomorrow or Friday if this keeps up. I haven't had a 'panic attack' or whatever in several days, but I really want some help for my anxiety, possibly an opinion on whether or not I have an anxiety disorder (I don't know how long it takes them to know enough to judge that) and these episodes would definitely be something I would mention.

Last edited by cardio; October 13th 2011 at 07:56 AM.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Question about Panic Attacks - October 13th 2011, 05:49 PM

Hey Shannan,

Your symptoms do sound like they could be Panic/Anxiety symptoms. But, as has been said, we're not professionals.

I have Anxiety myself (was never told a particular type, but I think it'd be GAD), and it didn't take that long for my doctor to understand (after I described it to her), or to start treating me. I take anti-anxiety medication (when I'm dealing with high-anxiety situations, like work, large gatherings, etc.), though it's more likely that you wouldn't be medicated, but instead go through therapy, due to the more "mild" nature.

I suggest talking about this with the psychologist that you're set up to see on campus, because they would be able to help you better than we can. Perhaps you'll learn some coping techniques, for one.

I wish you the best with your appointment, and hope you get the help you're seeking.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#8 (permalink)) Old
cardio Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Question about Panic Attacks - October 13th 2011, 06:16 PM

Thank you. I am going to talk to them about this. Originally I wanted to see somebody because I'm having a hard time getting over this break up, but I think a large part of why it's so hard is because of this anxiety or whatever. I've never been to see someone before, but I'm assuming they'll ask what's wrong so I may talk about the break up for a while and then try to bring up anxiety/panic attacks (or whatever they are) at some point.
As I mentioned before, I have had a professional tell me I probably have an anxiety disorder, but it wasn't someone who was treating me. And either way, she didn't really know the whole story so she could be wrong, but I have a feeling it's something like that.
Anyway, thanks everyone. I think I have all the answers I need for now.

Closed Thread