TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Panic Attacks - December 12th 2011, 03:10 AM

I'm diagnosed with Depression and Anxiety (though I think it's worse than that, but that's a whole other topic ) And lately I've been having a lot of panic attacks. They come on REALLY hard, REALLY fast. Just today I was walking and talking fine, rather upset, but able to hide it really well. I walked out the back door of my boyfriend's house, turned the corner, and the next thing I know I'm sitting on the ground, unable to breathe, convinced that I'm going to die or something.

I have a therapist, though she's been gone for awhile because her husband is very sick. She got me into meditation as a preventative technique, and I got into it for awhile, but I got out of it when she left. It never helped a whole lot anyway.

Anyway, rambling aside, I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on how to stop a panic attack. I've heard of those stupid things, get a paper bag, ext. But what am I supposed to do, carry around a paper bag with me? No... It gets really bad, and I've got low blood pressure. In the past once I had a panic attack so bad I literally passed out from oxygen deprivation. The hardest part is remembering what to do when I'm having said panic attack, all I can do is sit there and freak out.

Help

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
EmisaurusRex Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Em

Re: Panic Attacks - December 12th 2011, 03:56 AM

Hey Marissa
The things that typically help me the most are breathing exercises or just finding anything around me to focus on. I'll breathe in for a certain number (i change it a lot...most often i use three) and i'll try to visualize the side of a box forming. So on and so forth until i have a box. and i just keep making them until i calm down, or if it isn't working, i'll try something else. Something like trying to find all of the objects in the area that are a specific color. Listening to music. Really anything that gets me focused on something other than the panic I'm feeling.
Also, I hear you can just breathe into cupped hands instead of a paper bag as an alternative. That way you don't have to carry one around I've never tried it myself, though.
Anyways...that's just what I do. It helps most of the time. I hope this has been helpful!
Take care <3

Great works are performed not by strength, but by perseverance.
PM me anytime <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
katpanda Offline
Average Joe

Name: Kat

Re: Panic Attacks - December 12th 2011, 05:49 AM

I suffer from panic attacks frequently. I suggest seeing a doctor.
In my case, I can feel when I am starting to get a panic attack. So, I isolate myself from other people, sit down and slow down my breathing. Bad panic attacks can also be more provoked by low blood sugar, so eating a lolly or drinking a small amoutn of juice can help.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Panic Attacks - December 16th 2011, 09:44 PM

Hi there.

I think that as hard as it is, you need to stay in control because you CAN control these. It does admittedly, take time and practise but you can. You need to try and change the way you think when you're having a panic attack or feel one coming on. You freaking out and feeding yourself negative thoughts like I can't beat this or this is going to kill me is not going to help at all, but will probably make you panic more making the situation a lot worse.

Yes, carry a bag around with you. It's not a lot of effort and I know how much panic attacks can affect everyday life and if something as simple as carrying a paper bag around with you and using it when you feel like this can help, then you know, it's not a big thing to do. Or like Em said you can try cupping your hands together. When we hyperventilating it's because we're taking in to much oxygen due to the sharp, fast, shallow breathes we're taking in. When breathing into a paper bad it helps you to in-take the oxygen you've breathed out helping to regulate your breathing. Things such as breathing in and out can generally help but you have to take control yourself and for example, as hard as it is, take three breaths in through your nose and three out through your mouth to help regulate your breathing. It's does take time to learn how to do this so you have to sick with it.

I hope this helps.
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread