TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Senseless phobia. - February 4th 2012, 11:52 PM

Basically, what the title says.

I'm beginning to think that I have a phobia of phones, which is even in my eyes completely senseless. But I can't help it. I'm honestly terrified of the things. I won't answer them, even if it's important. I won't call places with them. I seriously pace back and forth and wring my hands the entire time I'm on one. It really didn't both me until recently, as I never really had anyone to call; but now I have friends to call, a guy friend that I'd really like to talk to. He's trying to get me past it, but I seriously can't.

He's not the only one. I won't call my cousin, who I've known since I was born. I won't call my best friend, who I trust more than anyone else in my life outside my family. I don't like to call my mom even when it's imperitive that I do. It scares the hell out of me, because I imagine the other person mocking me. It's about the only fear I ever really had, and it's quite crippling. I need to be able to answer phones to get a good job, and call people to get a good job.

But I just can't. And don't think this is just me being anxious or nervous around the people I'm calling, 'cause it's not: I can talk to them just fine in real life, or on Facebook, for hours, even. I just can't bring myself to use a phone, no matter how much I need to. It's not just a little fear, either. I seriously panic, and needing to call people causes me immense stress and makes my heart pound.

Help, please?

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
anony mouse. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Senseless phobia. - February 5th 2012, 07:43 PM

It's the nature of phobias to not make much sense. Having a phobia of something that we use so often must be so hard to handle on a day to day basis, though, and I'm sorry you're going through that.

I found this here:
Quote:
Consider treatment for your phobia if:
It causes intense and disabling fear, anxiety, and panic.
You recognize that your fear is excessive and unreasonable.
You avoid certain situations and places because of your phobia.
Your avoidance interferes with your normal routine or causes significant distress.
You’ve had the phobia for at least six months.
I believe that therapy for this phobia is your best (but not your only) option at this point. Apparently finding help for phobias can have very quick results. If you look at that link, there's a section titled 'Phobia treatment tip #1: Facing your Fears' and it has a few really good techniques for learning to face your fear of phones. It also tells you how to practice relaxation techniques and how to challenge your negative thoughts regarding your phobia. I hope this helps and you can PM me if you need!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
SouthernBelle. Offline
InsaneAnnie
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: Senseless phobia. - February 5th 2012, 09:21 PM

I'm looking around that site to see if I can find some self-help strategies; I'd rather deal with it myself if it's at all possible. Thank you very much.

Anna's Personal Keys to Happiness
1. Do what you want within the bounds of reason, whenever you want to, and regret nothing. 2. If you have an opinion, don't beat around the bush, or there isn't a point in saying it. 3. Don't keep the company of anyone who won't like you and will try to change you.

Closed Thread