TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Anxiety This forum is for seeking advice on anxiety and stress related issues.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kikidon11 Offline
Kiki/Alex
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alex

Unhappy Mum is calling my OCD an excuse... - February 29th 2012, 02:38 AM

When I have to do a chore or something with chemicals or dirt or anything else similar, I usually suck it up and do it. Which is terrifying. And there are times when it's just really bad and I tell her that I'm scared to. Then she just goes, "Thats just an EXCUSE. AN EXCUSE TO GET OUT OF DOING WORK!" I love my mom but... Not this particular part.
Any advice?

I love you.... I wish you'd love me too...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
YOLO ♥ Offline
RoBsesseDirectioner <3
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Manasvi (Mandy)
Location: A hidden, faaaaar-off world where people love each other and everything is just perfect. :)

Re: Mum is calling my OCD an excuse... - February 29th 2012, 06:05 AM

Just have a calm, long and detailed talk with her. Tell her that you're not fibbing. I'm sue she would understand.
Hope everything works out!

All we can do is Keep Breathing...!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye

I've been here a while

Re: Mum is calling my OCD an excuse... - February 29th 2012, 06:19 AM

Hey Alex
Maybe you could talk to your school counsellor about this and let them explain stuff to your mom? Sometimes its difficult for people to understand this stuff and they don't know how to react. Counsellors are usually trained to explain all this stuff. They might be able to explain to your mom that she shouldn't ignore this and how she should handle it. She could be unsure about how to help you, how to react, hence this reaction.
I hope it works out.
Take care <3

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Robin

Re: Mum is calling my OCD an excuse... - February 29th 2012, 07:01 AM

I would take things one step further than speaking to a school counselor. If your fear of chemicals/dirt/etc. is affecting your every day life and causing this much distress, talk to your doctor and ask for a referral to a psychological professional. There ARE forms of therapy that address these sorts of problems, such as exposure and response prevention. Rather than avoiding these situations for the rest of your life (and dealing with people who don't understand/think it's an excuse), tackle the problem head-on and make it more manageable! =) A psychological professional would also be able to educate you and your mother about this condition, whether it's OCD or a specific phobia (based on what you said, I'm not sure how this is OCD vs. a phobia of chemicals/dirt/etc.).

Something you could do in the meantime (because it may take a while to set up an appointment) is offer to do other chores to make up for it. For example, ask your mom which chore she likes the least, and offer to do that instead of work that involves being exposed to chemicals/dirt/etc. You could even offer to do extra chores around the house. Your mom may be under the impression that you're lazy or don't like to do manual labor. If you can show her that's not the case, though, then she may not give you as hard of a time.

Closed Thread