TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
corcor76 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Corrie

The decesion - April 27th 2012, 09:03 PM

So by midnight tonight, I have to make a choice. I've been pretty much on the verge of signing my enlistment papers, just waiting til I turned 18 due to my parents not wanting to sign them. However, last week my acceptance letter to St. John's University in Queens came in, and my parents became very excited about it. They require a deposit to be made by the 1st of May, so my decision time was short. I really don't know what to do at this point. Any advice?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Online
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: The decesion - April 27th 2012, 10:31 PM

What are your goals are far as jobs/careers are concerned? See, it's hard for me to tell you what to do when I don't have that kind of information. Are you looking to make the military a career? Or are you just enlisting for a few years so you can set aside money for college later on (and obtain other benefits)? Do you actually have a strong desire/commitment for the military, or do you just see it as a "meal ticket," a means to an end (eventually being able to pay for college)?

If you are wholeheartedly committed to the military, then I don't see the point in putting that dream on hold for 4 years while you attend college. If you aren't really keen on going into the military, but you see it as a way to pay for college, then I would start looking at your other options: student loans, part-time work while attending school, part-time school while working full-time, etc. If you don't have a clear goal, then maybe you should put both plans on hold until you have one. I know the deadline is coming up quickly, but it's better to take a year off to work a part-time/full-time job while you solidify your long-term plans, than to make a huge commitment to the military or college and realize that it was a mistake.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
MD8 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: The decesion - April 28th 2012, 07:17 AM

It really depends, if your dream is to join the Military then go for it. However if its just something you want to do along with other careers then go to University. Remember a Military career is always available. Plus your parents mind will be at ease with you going to University.

Remember you are very young, a Military career is very demanding and you will grow up doing it whether your ready or not , but if that is your dream go for it. Going to University will give you time and factors you can control in your development as a person.

Closed Thread