TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Amorphous. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Hamed Khatiz

Unhappy School - April 29th 2012, 03:16 AM

Hey, guys, whassup. Why do people take examination marks so emotionally and to heart? Let me tell my story as a vent, please?

I have gotten my exam marks and they are embarrassing. I am on track to get an ATAR of 25 (out of 99.95) if I keep this up.

I am the third worst person in my entire year group (248/250 ranking). I feel I am an embarrassment to my class. They have the second worst performance for this exam and the third worst for the entire assessment IN THEIR CLASS.

I love the guys. Bec, Lyn, Maria, Xav <3 and they have a dumb shit in their class.

Why do people take these to heart? I know academic results have emotional impacts but why?

Peace.

“At times the world may seem an unfriendly and sinister place,
But believe that there is much more good in it than bad.
All you have to do is look hard enough,
And what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of a journey.”

~My Childhood Friend.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
ertyuio Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: School - April 29th 2012, 03:30 AM

Many people associate their academic success with their intelligence and general ability. While I disagree with the notion that intelligence has anything significant to do with one's ability to do well on a test, there is a valid reason to be concerned with one's grades with respect to the fact that being accepted to college is nearly impossible with very low grades.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: School - April 29th 2012, 04:22 AM

Well, for me I go through this entire cycle where I put too much pressure on myself to succeed. I'm high in the class ranking and would be devastated if I get lowered. A lot of the time Bs upset me if I know they'll affect my final average or if I think I could do better (math being the exception to this, I'm proud of a B there). My academic success makes me think about college and if I fail even one thing I get into this whole cycle where I think I'll never get into a good college and therefore never get the job I want and therefore never be happy in life. I think most people just do it for the reason Jorge says, though.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
NoName12 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: School - April 29th 2012, 05:24 AM

Perhaps because your grades are what open doors for you in the future. Without good grades, it is likely that you will not get a good job. Yes, people can argue this all they want. And I guarantee there will be replies to this saying "Grades aren't everything! You could get a good job with mediocre grades!!1!". But the reality is, without being above average in school, you will be limited in academia and your future career.

First impressions last. Start behind the eight ball and you'll never get in front.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: School - April 29th 2012, 05:41 PM

Because we've been taught, implicitly or explicitly that grades define us to a degree. Good grades mean smart, hard-working, repsonsible, organized, etc. while bad grades mean the opposite and sometimes people get punished because their grades aren't up to parents' standards. As we get older we realize the flaws in this logic, but by then it's been ingrained. For me, I knew that if I got a C or below my dad would take my head off, I wasn't bothered so much by the grade as what it would mean in terms of lectures from dad which I took as he was disappointed in me because I wasn't good enough.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: School - April 30th 2012, 06:00 AM

When people study for exams, generally they hope for the highest mark possible (100%) or a more realistic high mark (i.e. 80% if you're lousy in the subject). Earning a high mark confirms in one's mind their academic success, directly affects their social status and allows them to think they are one step closer to achieving their desired career. I say, "confirms in one's mind" because it's a subjective value, whereas realistically, one can be very intelligent, academically successful and achieve their desired career goals while still earning a few poor marks.

For example, in my undergrad, entrance into fourth-year research courses isn't on first-come first-serve basis. Instead, it's based on overall GPA, marks in required and relevant courses and permission from the professor(s). Each has a maximum size of 20 or less and many more applied but were refused. Across different semesters, I applied to 4 such courses but only got accepted into 3. Even though my marks in the required courses were fairly high, they weren't high enough relative to other students. I can still certainly succeed without that one research course but if my marks were lower than they were, I probably wouldn't have been able to get in any of them. In other words, realistically, high marks matter no matter what but lack of high marks does not necessarily mean one is stupid in all areas of study.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

Closed Thread