TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Which to drop? - May 2nd 2012, 08:41 PM

I'm currently studying Law, Psychology, Sociology and English Literature.

I'm torn on which one to drop after summer, technically I don't have to drop one at all, but I'm not sure I can handle doing four. On top of these I'm considering doing Critical Thinking and Extended Project. I want to go into something relating to mental health (nursing, counselling, psych or occupational therapy), so Sociology and Psychology are the ones I definitely can't drop. Law makes me look smart, and English Literature makes me look literate. If I drop Law I'll end up doing Critical Thinking. Extended Project I can cover over summer, which shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Oh lordy. I'm just torn and confused. I don't *want* to drop any of these subjects, but I should. Yeah. So which are the most important out of my four main ones? Also, should I do Critical Thinking and/or Extended Project?

Sorry for this being so confusing.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: Which to drop? - May 2nd 2012, 08:45 PM

Well, you should think about what is going to benefit you must in the long run when it comes to your career. If you carry on taking law, will it help you? Same with English Lit, would it help you with the career you have in mind? I think that's the best way to go about it and then once you've chosen which one. You should look at the other two subjects you wish to take and again think, do you feel they'll benefit you in the future and if you want to take them regardless, just ask yourself if you feel you could handle the extra work or not.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Which to drop? - May 2nd 2012, 09:21 PM

Sociology and Psychology are what I definitely need for my career. I have no preference between Law and English Lit. :/ I honestly have no idea which would be best.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Anala Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Amzies

Re: Which to drop? - May 3rd 2012, 12:35 AM

English Lit would probably be the "better choice." (I do hate saying that. Each class has it's pros and cons).
If you're looking at English as just a "I look literate so I'm taking this" class, uh... I'm pretty sure Law covers that. On top of that, I thought that looking literate to people just means you present yourself as an educated person. It doesn't really matter what English class you take; as long as you present yourself in that sense, people will think of you in that sense.

Keeping Law sounds difficult, but if you are looking for a more rigorous... I guess you could say "padded" in a sense... résume, then I'd go for keeping Law and dropping English.

Then again, it is your choice. How you're going to use these in your career, or not use these, is up to you.

Oh. Forgot to mention: I HAVE NO EXPERIENCE IN THIS. I am a high schooler.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Halcyon Offline
Project Coordinator

I can't get enough

Name: Haley

Re: Which to drop? - May 3rd 2012, 09:45 AM

Dear Holly,

It sounds like a tough decision, but if you weigh up the pros and cons, I'm sure you will find an outcome that is best for you.

Are you planning to go to University after your A-Levels? If so, have a look at University prospectuses, if you haven't already done so - it might give you an indication as to which subjects are preferable. Also check the UCAS website for entry requirements and course specific requirements. Is there a career advisor at your college who you could talk to?
Consider how much you enjoy Law vs English Literature, and which would be more useful. Are Critical Thinking and Extended Project AS-Levels or A2-Levels, and would they count towards your point score?

As for appearing literate, this shows through in your written work, so you don't need to worry about that. Someone only has to read what you write (for example, essays, letters and personal statements, etc.) to know that you are very educated and literate. I'm not trying to make you steer clear from English Literature, but do think about how strong your argument is to keep each subject.

Be careful not to take on too much. I was taking six subjects at one point, and it did compromise my performance. Don't overload yourself with subjects, and consider volunteer work, as that is valuable experience when it comes to applying for University and in the world of work.

I hope you will reach a decision that you are happy about. Good luck!

Best wishes,
Halcyon

(#6 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Which to drop? - May 3rd 2012, 06:13 PM

I'm a little biased because I actually dropped English after my first year of college, as it was my least favourite. However, I honestly think that if you're keeping it for the sake of looking literate (nothing wrong with that!!) then surely Law might cover that for you?? Also surely on your CV you could still mention that you'd previously taken English Lit, even if you didn't carry it on. (: Overall though, I think it might be best to look at which subjects compliment the subjects you're definitely carrying on. I mean you've probably noticed that there can be some overlaps between Psychology and Sociology, so if there were a lot between Law and those two, or English and those two, it might be good to keep one.

Just do what feels right for you. You'll know what it is eventually.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Which to drop? - May 4th 2012, 07:01 AM

You should look whether English courses are mandatory for your program. If you want to continue studying beyond a Bachelor's level, you need at least one course in English, not to show you're literate but to show you have some understanding of the language. If you're concerned of looking literate and smart, both law and English will do that. If you already have completed an English course and don't need to do any more, then I'd drop it. On the other hand, you should look how the law course can benefit your field of study.

Personally, I would keep the law course. It provides decent information that can be useful in your field of study or for general knowledge. I did a few socio-law courses and they helped me with a few of the course research papers I did. It also helped in learning to analyze complex language, which can be useful when reading research papers to extract valuable information and determine whether the paper itself is useful.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
metalheadjessus Offline
Average Joe

Re: Which to drop? - May 13th 2012, 06:10 PM

My advice would be to wait until you get your results before making a final decision. You may get a result that you didn't plan on, such as a lower grade in one subject that you expected to do well on and a higher grade on one that you didn't expect to do quite as well on. It happens a lot. Obviously it's good to start thinking about these things, but don't let yourself get too caught up in the decision as it may lead to disappointment and ultimately, the best grades you attain will be the ones that take you on to university. I would say that law would look more impressive on UCAS applications as it is academic and shows a high degree of literacy and the ability to retain high volumes of knowledge.

Closed Thread