TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Summer Classes!! - May 14th 2012, 10:37 PM

I have to take 8-9 semester credits this summer. I did this last summer and actually ended up with really good results. (I enjoy studying 2-3 things intensely as opposed to 4-5 things less intensely.)

Anyway, the time has come to pick two or three classes to take, and I really want to make the right decision.

I can either take Statistics + an easy elective, Statistics + Accounting (i don't like that it's a night class, but the prof is supposed to be really kind and helpful), Accounting + 2 easy electives, or 3 easy electives.

Extra information: I am an economics major, I will have to take all of these classes eventually regardless of when I take them, and I may or may not be an overachieving academic type.

Is anyone else taking summer classes at college? Anyone have experience with these classes over the summer? I would appreciate any input! Thanks guys.

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Summer Classes!! - May 14th 2012, 11:31 PM

Hey, I'm doing summer classes too, but mine are graduate level (which means they're worse than yours ugh). If there's anything you really want out of the way, it might be nice to get it over with. That's what I did, I have 2 courses that are taught outside my major dept. and that I never plan to use again once I graduate, so I figured I'd get them over with early and then get on the the more relevant stuff. I don't know what year in school you are, but it will be nice to have all or mostly easy classes left your last semester.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Summer Classes!! - May 15th 2012, 02:50 AM

Thanks Katie

I am a freshman (going to be a sophomore) at a community college and I will be at university by fall '13. Basically, I do need to get a few general ed courses out of the way, but they might actually be easier during the semester (online classes, etc). Major classes, while they would be a bit more challenging over summer, might also help me get into my top choices. My top choice universities look very kindly on students who have as many major courses completed as possible BEFORE they even apply in November. (Either way I will be finishing all of them before I transfer, so that's not an issue.)

But the Accounting summer class is held at night, and I am NOT a night owl. So this puts me at risk of not being alert during the class. I am leaning toward this route anyway, but I'm anxious that it'd be too much if I'm looking to really absorb the material.

^^ Hope that wasn't too confusing. Caffeine buzz haha. Any more advice would be really appreciated. Thank you!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Summer Classes!! - May 15th 2012, 06:38 PM

It really depends how late the class runs, I'm a total night owl so I actually didn't mind them except for the fact that they were one night a week for 3-4 hours! That would also mean having all day, or most of the day to get your homework done as opposed to having classes all day, having a night class and then trying to squeeze in all the homework somewhere while having to be up for class the next day.

My senior year I had one really hard (and completely irrelevant) class my last semester because you had to be a senior to take it and then the rest were a piece of cake. I would suggest leaving as many easy classes as possible until the end because by then you're likely burned out and the last thing you want is difficult stuff. It really depends on you though.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Summer Classes!! - May 16th 2012, 03:19 AM

I did a few summer courses each semester in my undergrad, mostly sociology/criminology and a few psychology courses. I enjoyed the fast pace and classes were often on each day, so there wasn't much time to slack off. The main reason why I liked it was everything constantly stayed fresh in my head and the instructors usually gave a quick summary of the previous lecture and readings. I only had a few evening classes but nothing that went too late in the night. I found it helpful to take difficult classes during the summer because there were fewer students, which gave more time for instructors to help out each student.

A potential problem you may run into is the summer instructors may not be the regular semester instructors and may not have as much experience. This was the case for a few of my courses, where the instructor was also carrying out research but he still made time for everyone.

In my last year I took fewer courses but they were all research-based. The difficulty for most was what I expected, although one was much harder than anticipated and I may have gotten a better mark had I taken it during the summer, where I could focus entirely on just one course. I agree with Katie, taking easy courses in your last year can certainly improve your marks, however, try not to take first or second year courses if you want to continue studying for a Masters degree, law school, etc... . I intentionally took 3 fourth-year research-based courses, two of which were in the same semester.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Jack Lowden Offline
Afternoon.
Outside, huh?

Re: Summer Classes!! - May 16th 2012, 10:54 PM

I took summer classes my first two years of high school so I could take an extra class during the school year. The first year, I went to a regular classroom at a high school every day. But the next year, I did independent study where I picked up packets, worked on them all week, then went in once a week to take a test. I believe I took geography/health my freshman year, then world history my sophomore year.

I've also taken summer classes the past couple of summers for college credit. I started summer classes about a week after I graduated high school & this is actually my first summer off since I started college. I took online classes both summers, but last summer, I had to drive to the school once every couple of weeks for the tests. I actually hate online classes & I do much better in a classroom setting. However, my dad wanted to take a family vacation or something & asked me to drop the class I was already enrolled in & sign up for online. Last time I'm ever planning my schedule around theirs. I took an English class & a microeconomics class the first summer & last summer, I took psychology.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Summer Classes!! - May 19th 2012, 07:15 PM

Hey, guys!

I've decided on (and registered for) Accounting and Statistics, because I think it'll help me to have more options when I'm registering for fall semester and maybe give me an edge with admissions. Hopefully it will also help me solidify (or change ) my major. Thanks for all of the input about your personal experiences!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Summer Classes!! - May 19th 2012, 08:44 PM

I have not taken summer classes (yet) but my sister has almost every year. I think this is a great way to help you change your major and stay on track.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Summer Classes!! - May 19th 2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution View Post
I have not taken summer classes (yet) but my sister has almost every year. I think this is a great way to help you change your major and stay on track.
Absolutely. I am set on graduating in 2015!

Closed Thread