TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
keybladeninja11 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Art jobs? - May 18th 2012, 11:41 PM

so before i started my first year of college, i had decided that i wanted to be an art teacher....now recently, my family hasn't been very supportive of that choice (they weren't being mean, just worried) and i know it will be a very tough road if i really get my masters degree for art education and pursue that career but i still worry a lot. Art education isn't exactly encouraged at public schools and stuff and i WANT to teach at a university but i know that i will most likely have to work my way up to that. I've started worrying about whether art teaching is a good job for me. I want to be able to support myself without worrying my parents too much, and most of all, i want to be able to give my kids (when i have kids) a good future and give them the things they need as they grow up.
So putting art teaching aside, what are some well-paid art jobs? i've heard that graphic designing is on the rise so i was thinking about that...but i'm not sure if that would require being stuck behind a computer all day and i don't really want that..
I've looked and looked at other things and it has to be art. I'm just really not very good at anything else. ^_^()

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Art jobs? - May 19th 2012, 12:42 AM

Unfortunately, many modern-day art careers do involve a certain degree of computer usage. Gone are the days of cel shading! If I were you, I would start talking to your art professors about the different types of careers they've heard about. Chances are, there's a website or two out there that talks about art careers and their trends (on the rise/decline). Here's one I found after a quick Google search:

8 Creative Jobs that Pay Over 60k

I think it's very smart to re-evaluate your goals. Public schools aren't really looking to hire art teachers at the moment, because art isn't a high priority class. If you want to teach at the university level, a masters degree may not be good enough (perhaps for a community college, but a 4-year university may require a doctorate). In addition, it's not just about having a degree - most of the art teachers I've met have spent several years in some other endeavor before beginning their teaching careers. They've worked for companies, art museums, studied abroad, opened up their own galleries, etc.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
artlover13 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Maddie

Re: Art jobs? - May 30th 2012, 06:17 AM

I've always wanted to be an artist and my parents have never been that supportive, but here's a list of possible creative jobs

Interior/exterior designer
Architect
Art restoration
Art historian
Art auctioner
Teacher
Museum Curator

I hope that helps a bit!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Cheshire Cat Offline
2+2=5
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ella

Re: Art jobs? - June 3rd 2012, 01:38 PM

Hah, well, my mother just got her masters in art pedagogics. She actually did get to teach at an art institute before getting it - she had a baca in glass art, but this was back when my country was still occupied by the USSR and many things were different then, so I'm not sure if teaching at an university with such little qualification would be possible nowadays.
As for other possible jobs though - interior design is one of the most sensible choices in the art field. So is architecture, but you have to have an understanding of maths and physics for that as well. Graphic design is also something my mother has done and she says that it's such a wide field - you can do advertisements, billboards, web pages, just photo manipulation, magazine layouts, business cards, business logos, etc, etc, etc. And I don't think you have to worry about being stuck behind a computer all day either, you can write down some ideas and sketch some things wherever you feel the most inspired. It's certainly not a bad career choice.
At the end of the day though, do what makes you happy. Just don't make an implusive decision that you haven't thought through right now because you may end up regretting it. I'd advise you to maybe talk to your own art teachers or people you know that are in that field and ask them for pointers because they can actually speak from experience and I'm just reporting what I've learnt from my years of having an artist for a mother xx.

"Your tiny hands, your crazy kitten smile..."
Radiohead

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Re: Art jobs? - June 4th 2012, 02:09 AM

I think it's awesome that you are pursuing a degree in the fine arts department. If your parents are really adamant about you changing that choice, then perhaps a minor in something else to keep them pacified? Perhaps...history, or European studies. Something that's related to art but more "approved" of?

Nearly all of the art professors at my university have experience in a big city like New York or Los Angeles to get their art out there. You can also sell your works on Etsy to fortify your talent. Maybe even study abroad? Wouldn't that be an incredible experience!

Your life, your dream. Make them come together.

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013

Closed Thread