TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
HelpLINK Mentor

Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Question Schools in the U.S. vs. Schools in the UK - May 19th 2012, 03:56 PM

I always wondered how the school system in the UK works and is different from the school system in the U.S. In the U.S., the school system goes from Kindergarten-8th grade for elementary school, 9th-12th grade for high school, and then there's college. So, I was wonder if the school system in the UK is different, the same, or somwhat the same as the school system in the U.S. I was also wondering if they had different names for the different levels in the UK.

"I think I now understand what my dad meant when he told me to be stronger, like you, Link. He wasn't talking about strength, like lifting stuff. He was talking about being brave"~Colin, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

"Shadow and Light are two sides of the same coin...One cannot exist without the other"~Princess Zelda, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

|Member Since 1/15/2012|HelpLINK Mentor Since 6/22/2012|Videos Team since 7/27/2012|Technology and Gaming Forum Moderator since 12/1/2012|Eating Disorders Forum Moderator since 9/12/2014|Social Networking Team since 12/27/2012|Live Help Operator since 2/24/14

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Nami. Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Schools in the U.S. vs. Schools in the UK - May 19th 2012, 04:04 PM

Not EVERYWHERE in the US does it that way
I've really only heard of most private schools doing it that way.

It also can be:
Elementary- K-5th grade.
Middle School/Junior High- 6th-8th
High School- 9th-12th
College/uni

I think it depends on the size of your school and the amount of kids in it as well.

I'm not sure, but I think the UK calls school years - years. So year 9? But maybe I'm dumb. They also have sixth form? And I'm not sure what that is. I obviously know nothing about the UK

Not all those who wander are lost.
  Send a message via AIM to Nami. Send a message via MSN to Nami.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
HelpLINK Mentor

Outside, huh?

Name: Cathy

Re: Schools in the U.S. vs. Schools in the UK - May 19th 2012, 04:07 PM

I go to a private school, and I knew that public schools did it a different way then private schools

"I think I now understand what my dad meant when he told me to be stronger, like you, Link. He wasn't talking about strength, like lifting stuff. He was talking about being brave"~Colin, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

"Shadow and Light are two sides of the same coin...One cannot exist without the other"~Princess Zelda, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

|Member Since 1/15/2012|HelpLINK Mentor Since 6/22/2012|Videos Team since 7/27/2012|Technology and Gaming Forum Moderator since 12/1/2012|Eating Disorders Forum Moderator since 9/12/2014|Social Networking Team since 12/27/2012|Live Help Operator since 2/24/14

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: Schools in the U.S. vs. Schools in the UK - May 19th 2012, 04:33 PM

In the uk, there's primary school, which is reception to year six - that's also sometimes split into Infants ( reception to year two) and Juniors (year three to year six). That's followed by secondary school which is year seven to year eleven, and that's the end of compulsory education. After that you get sixth form, which is split in my town into first years - year twelve - and second years - year thirteen. At sixth form you take the exams necessary for going to university.

-Infants (also called Key Stage One)-
Reception - aged 4 to 5
Year one - aged five to six
Year two - aged six to seven
-Juniors (also called Key Stage Two)-
Year three - aged seven to eight
Year four - aged eight to nine
Year five - aged nine to ten
Year six - aged ten to eleven
At the end of year six, kids take exams called SATs, which help secondary schools sort classes by ability.

-Secondary school (Key Stage Three)-
Year seven - aged eleven to twelve
Year eight - aged twelve to thirteen
Year nine - aged thirteen to fourteen
At the end of year nine, you do more SATs to help determine which class you'll be in for your GCSEs.

-Secondary School (Key Stage Four)-
Year ten - aged fourteen to fifteen
Year eleven - aged fifteen to sixteen
At the end of year eleven, you take GCSE exams, which I think is the most basic qualification, required for pretty much anything. Some people leave education at sixteen, some do vocational courses such as hairdressing, and others go onto sixth form.

-Sixth Form-
First years/year twelve - aged sixteen to seventeen
Second years/year thirteen - aged seventeen to eighteen
The ages of students at sixth form aren't as rigid as in school; you can switch between colleges if you don't like the qualification that you're doing, so if you start on a vocational course, you can at the end of the year change to a sixth form college and do a more academic subject and vice versa. In sixth form you take exams (there are several different types) and the grades from these are what you use to get a place at university.

Also, our school year runs from the start of September through to the middle of July

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Snufkin Offline
XO
I can't get enough

Name: Scott

Re: Schools in the U.S. vs. Schools in the UK - May 19th 2012, 04:42 PM

Scottish education is also different to England's (I don't know how the rest of the UK's works).

We have primary school, called Primary 1 - 7 from ages 4-5 to 11-12. Then secondary school, referred to as S1-6, from ages 11-12 to 17-18. You can leave once you've finished S4 if you like, once you're 16. Then it goes to either college to obtain an NC, HNC, or HND, or straight to university to work for a degree, honours degree, masters or doctorate.

Education is also free in Scotland if you're Scottish.

Closed Thread