TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
jellylegsjinx Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Emily

Post Bad Study Habits? - May 25th 2012, 12:55 AM

I have horrible study habits. I mean HORRIBLE. I'm currently in eighth grade, but the year's almost over. I worried for high school, where everything supposedly a lot harder. I always get distracted while working on something, and it takes me a LONG to to get anything done. I sleep really late, and I'm always cranky and tired the next day. How do I help prevent myself from getting distracted (on youtube, fanfiction websites, etc.)? Also, how would I be able to do work faster? I'm a sort of perfectionist, and I really spend time on everything I do. How could I not spend too much time on an assignment yet still get a good grade?

Thanks so much for helping!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
♔ Queen of Ambivalence ♔
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Bad Study Habits? - May 25th 2012, 01:13 AM

Hi! First off welcome to TH and...oh hold on a second. Unjellify! There, my legs feel much better now. Ok you have a lot of questions here lol but I'll try to answer them as best as I can!

For starters I wouldn't worry too much about high school. I can't speak definitively for you, but in my case my middle school teachers all went on about how different and more intense high school would be. The reality? It's not that bad. It steadily increases the work load each year but it's manageable. You aren't going to suddenly be flooded by homework and assignments as soon as you walk in the door.

As for sleep, why do you sleep so late? Is it because you can't sleep or you like staying up? There are many reasons so it's hard to give advice. I suppose something general would be to try to go to bed earlier. Also, it's important to remember that you're going through that whole puberty thang so you need more sleep. I used to sleep in super late but now I wake up a couple hours earlier. Bottom line: get enough sleep.

Ahh yes, distractions. Why must they be so distracting, right? From what you've said it's mostly the internet that distracts you. So logically you should try to avoid the internet (at least until you're done your homework). If you can do your work without a computer that's even better. Take all the distractions you can and get them out of your sight. Out of sight out of mind. Besides, you'll be able to enjoy them more when you don't have that nagging feeling telling you to do homework.

How does your perfectionism manifest? Are you the type to procrastinate, do you edit a bazillion times, etc.? Lemme know and I can give more specific advice. I'm a major perfectionist so I might be able to help you!

♥ PM me anytime, I'm here for you ♥

Out of the ashes I'm burning like a fire. You can save your apologies, you're nothing but a liar. I've got shame, I've got scars that I will never show. I'm a survivor in more ways than you know. 'Cause all the pain and the truth, I wear like a battle wound. So ashamed, so confused, I was broken and bruised. Now I'm a warrior.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
jellylegsjinx Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Bad Study Habits? - May 25th 2012, 03:26 AM

I sleep late usually because I can't finish my homework in time. I don't actually get an enormous amount of homework, but I can't seem to do a single page of work without getting distracted. It's become my routine to go on the internet for a long time, then start my homework only when I absolutely have to.

As for my perfectionism, I ALWAYS procrastinate, and still then I must make everything as if it was done weeks ahead of time. I also do edit my work a lot, but I think that, if I actually managed my time, that would be okay for me.

Basically, my biggest issue is not getting enough sleep. I require a LOT of sleep, because if I get, like, seven hours of sleep for a week, I'll be really tired and weak at the end of it. I'm averaging about seven to eight hours lately, which is definitely not enough for me, though it may be for others.

I guess my main question is this: how do I finish my work quickly and get more sleep?
(Wow, that question took a long time to come to me... ) :P

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Bad Study Habits? - May 25th 2012, 08:56 PM

Hey Kelsey, As far as high school being this big scary place where the work is harder, it's not as bad as they make it seem. It has always seemed to me like teachers or professors at one level scare the daylights out of you about the next level and then you get there and it's not that bad. If you're doing okay ability wise on your work now, you'll be fine

As for the sleep and procrastination issue, as an avid procrastinator I feel your pain. It looks like you'll have to change your routine to make this work, instead of going on the internet or doing anything else that will distract you, take a short break when you get home (I'd say no more than half an hour) and then start in on your homework. If you need the internet for your work, but don't trust yourself not to stray, set up another account specifically for school related activites and block all the "fun and distracting sites" so you won't be tempted. If you finish your work on time you can get more sleep. Your work should be done to the best of your ability, don't worry about it being perfect, no one's work is perfect. You might also have a study hall now, USE IT. Start your homework at school where it's nearly impossible to focus on anything else, preferably assignments with the heaviest books so you don't have to carry them home.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Closed Thread