TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous116 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy I really need help, with what i want to do... - May 30th 2012, 01:53 AM

I've been really stressed because of the ACT. The first time i took it in April I got a 20, which is below the average. I'm in a pre-engineering program at my school so its harder for me because all of my other peers did a lot better than me. I don't know what to do! My gpa is a 3.86, so its not like I'm that bad in school. But thinking about the ACT gets me so stressed out that I cant even study for it, and I'm taking it again in June, which is like 2 weeks. I've tried breathing techniques but nothing seems to work. My mom was so dissapointed in me when I got a 20 so it makes me feel so much worse. I don't come from a wealthy family so I need to get a good score on the ACT to get good scholarships...My score has really made me reconsider my future career in engineering, because I feel that'd I would be wasting my time, because I'm too dumb. Please I need techniques and ways to study ): And Advice on if I should keep the same career choice or go to a different path. I would talk to my parents about this, but sadly they cant afford any tutors, and all they would do is try and pray for me or something

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: I really need help, with what i want to do... - May 30th 2012, 02:40 AM

Honestly, this is one of the reasons I have serious issues with standardized tests and the way they're discussed. They make it sound like one test on one day determines your entire future when that's not even close to true. I took the SAT and didn't do that well, my grades were about average and I did just fine in college and I'm starting graduate school on Monday. Don't let this discourage you from whatever career you want and try not to feel bad or compare yourself to others. Sandardized tests aren't as important as everyone makes them seem. Just do the best you can. Your GPA is higher than mine was, that's proof that there's no real correlation between test scores and intelegence. Your score doesn't make you dumb.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BECCALICIOUS! Offline
take me as you found me.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Re: I really need help, with what i want to do... - June 4th 2012, 06:36 AM

isn't the ACT broken up into different subjects like the ACT? If overall you got a 20 but your math was the highest, then I wouldn't worry so much. I'm currently an engineering major and my math was well over 100 points greater than both Reading and Writing on my SATs.

And choosing your career should be based on WAY more than ACTs. Once you hit college your work ethic matters way more.

when you love and laugh abundantly you live a beautiful life.

Closed Thread