TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Getting paid "Under the table" - June 1st 2012, 10:49 AM

So I just started a job at a dog kennel down the street. I'm very excited to finally be working with dogs after years of working with children. This is definitely useful for my future as not all the dogs are friendly so I'm learning how to handle them and protect myself. I still don't know if I want to do this in the future or not. Anyway so after about three days training I asked my boss if he needed us (me and another kid I'm training with) to fill out a W2 form. (In the US it's needed to get paid). His respond was no, I'm just going to pay you guys under the table. So at first I was excited, no taxes much more money for me! But I know it's actually illegal and I was just wondering what the consequences could be. I know he could get in trouble for doing it but could it? My mom said it's not good incase I got injured there is no proof I work there. For now I want to keep working there but what are other consequences I could come across for doing this?
Thanks!

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Mitch Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mitchell

Re: Getting paid "Under the table" - June 1st 2012, 11:51 AM

It's tax evasion/fraud and you both could be prosecuted and fined on each occasion or be criminally prosecuted and face jail time or community service.
I'd suspect he would be doing it so that
a) he pays less; he earns more
b) if you do injure yourself are apply for compensation due to whatever then there is some lacking evidence that you work there and even then, you would be charged as above and you would lose any compensation benefits.
Perhaps you should confront him about it and if he refuses to have the forms signed then report him to the police. If you do report him, don't spend the money or accept any more payments, as then you too could be liable.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Getting paid "Under the table" - June 2nd 2012, 02:20 AM

This is a very bad idea. It's one thing to work "under the table" as a baby-sitter, personal assistant, etc. It's another thing entirely to work at a dog kennel "under the table." I worked at a boarding facility for over three years, and trust me, there were plenty of injuries, despite our extensive training and being careful. Animals can be unpredictable at times, so assume that, at some point, you'll be injured. If you're lucky like me, it won't require a hospital visit, but I know plenty of people who weren't so lucky. Assume you won't be lucky. =P

Okay, so let's say you worked for the rest of this year, then filed with the IRS. If you don't have any paperwork, the IRS will want to confirm that you're reporting the correct amount - after all, who's to say you're not underestimating the amount of money you earned, in order to pay less in taxes? How would the IRS confirm that you're reporting the correct amount? I have no idea... and that's where the problem lies. They could go to your employer, but your employer doesn't want to get caught by the IRS. You could send them copies of all the checks you ever received, but who's to say you didn't forget to make copies of half of the checks? If you get paid in cash, then you're really out of luck.

Bottom-line, I'd go to your employer and insist that he follows the law. If he refuses, start looking for another job. There are plenty of kennels, boarding facilities, etc. that will hire you AND do things by the book. There's really no need to take this risk.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Getting paid "Under the table" - June 2nd 2012, 03:17 AM

Thanks guys I'll definitely talk to my parents about it because it is scary to think if about if I got injured. As for the IRS Robin, I still live with my parents so they can like claim me or something that's what they did at my last job so that's not really an issue. But yeah definitely getting hurt is an issue. Thanks again.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Getting paid "Under the table" - June 2nd 2012, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisperer View Post
Thanks guys I'll definitely talk to my parents about it because it is scary to think if about if I got injured. As for the IRS Robin, I still live with my parents so they can like claim me or something that's what they did at my last job so that's not really an issue. But yeah definitely getting hurt is an issue. Thanks again.
Yeah, I would say that the risk of injury is the biggest concern. Also, even if you're filing as a dependent under your parents, I believe you would still have to file your own return if you earned over a certain amount of money in a year. It's been a while since I've filed as a dependent under my dad, though, so I would double-check with your parents just for your own reference. =)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Getting paid "Under the table" - June 5th 2012, 01:35 AM

Yeah but I don't earn enough money each year. Thanks though

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Getting paid "Under the table" - June 6th 2012, 01:39 PM

Well, I would say that legality is definitely an issue. It is one thing if you are doing something where you don't plan to file a tax return OR if you aren't working for a company. Like if you are just a baby sitter, or dog walker, or even a house cleaner (working independently and not contracted out) etc, it won't really matter, but being paid "under the table" when you have been employed by someone else is a bit sketchy. And like has been suggested, you should probably talk your family and possibly the police

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Getting paid "Under the table" - June 11th 2012, 05:14 PM

Well the inevitable happened. Someone was bit so badly they had to go to the hospital. So now he's going to pay us correctly. Thanks you guys for the help.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Getting paid "Under the table" - June 11th 2012, 09:15 PM

I'm glad to hear things worked out in the end (although I feel sorry for the person who got bit)! Since the issue has been resolved, I'm closing your thread; however, feel free to create a new one, or PM me if you would like to have your thread re-opened. =)

Closed Thread