TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
jofus2015 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Final exam trouble - June 15th 2012, 10:34 PM

HI, my name is joe, and I just finished my final exams today, but when i checked my biology exam grade, I GOT A 44 PERCENT. That is a failing grade. I am lucky that my other grades were high enough that i still kept a B for the class. This very troubling to me because i am used to getting straight A's and perfect grades, and this was a very powerful blow to my self esteem, I am almost shaking! I am also worried what my parents will think too. My mom insists that i always get straight A's, and i don't want to disappoint. I am sorry for putting so much up all at once, but I am pretty worried.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
katiep Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Final exam trouble - June 18th 2012, 09:32 PM

Well, it appears that you did pretty well in Biology throughout the year, apart from your final Biology exam. Do you think there was a particular reason as to why this was so? I mean, were you not able to prepare as well as you'd want to have had for it?
I can understand how you appear to by quite shocked by this, but you need to remember that it's just one grade, and you need to move on to be able to do better in the future. : )
Just talk to your parents calmly about this...I'm sure they'll understand. Everyone makes mistakes. : )

(#3 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Final exam trouble - June 18th 2012, 11:54 PM

Hey!! I'm in a similar position at the moment, had my last college exams a couple of months ago and when I got the results I apparently failed one, although it's usually my best class... so I know exactly how you feel. Is there any way you can go in and view your exam script?? You may have misread one of the questions or they may even have marked it wrong...either way you deserve to know what happened. Can you talk to a teacher about it??
Don't worry too much about what your parents might think, people can do badly in exams for all sorts of reasons and it doesn't seem like the bad grade reflects on your academic success throughout the year at all.

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Final exam trouble - June 22nd 2012, 04:19 AM

Welcome to TeenHelp! =)

This has happened to me on a few occasions - I've done really well throughout the semester/trimester, only to "choke" at the very end and get a B instead of an A. I would definitely follow the suggestions the other members provided.

Think about what could have affected your performance this time around. Did you not have enough time to study for the exam? When you took the exam, did you feel like there were a lot of questions that you were uncertain about?

If you can't identify anything that might have affected your performance, send an e-mail to the teacher and request to meet with him/her so you can review the exam. Maybe you made a technical error, ex. forgot to do the back of a page or wrote down your answers incorrectly (a classmate did this once with a Scantron - she ended up failing because she put the answer for #20 in the #21 slot, #21 for #22, etc., so everything was off on the actual answer sheet but not on the exam itself).

Worst-case scenario, you simply didn't know how to answer the questions... and if that's the case, it's good to know where you need to improve for the next class (assuming you take a more advanced biology class).

If your parents find out about your grade before you've had a chance to meet with the teacher, explain that you're going to have a meeting and determine what happened. This will show you're proactive and every bit as shocked/dismayed as they are about the final grade. If your parents find out after the meeting, just be honest with them and explain that you don't plan to make the same mistake twice. I mean, there isn't much else you can do, aside from showing some initiative. If your parents disapprove, then they disapprove. Don't let THEIR disapproval affect how YOU feel about your overall academic performance (or your self-worth as a person). You sound like an excellent student who slipped up - most of us do at some point, and that's okay, as long as you learn from your mistakes. =)

Closed Thread