TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

What should I do about this job I want? - June 16th 2012, 04:17 PM

Ok, so I wanted to apply at the local social services place (child protective services) and I brought my resume in and they said no, no, you gotta email it, and wouldn't even tell me who I could contact about the kinda job I wanted.

So what ever, I left and emailed it in instead with a brief description of myself and why I want a job there. I haven't heard anything yet but it has only been a week. I really want to email the "contact us" email and ask who I can talk to about getting a position asap and see if I can AT LEAST get the form to bring to the local police and get a criminal record check done for the place to keep on file with my resume while I wait to get hired. I mean, seriously, I pretty much expect them to hire me within the next few months if nothing else and will do what ever is necessary to make it clear that I am VERY interested in the job and that I haven't applied just for a minor curiosity in the field. I actually seriously intend to make a career out of the social work, specifically focusing on child welfare. I would also be willing to call and request the form be emailed to me or available for me to pick up (it takes about 4-6 weeks to get any kinda police check to be returned to you). I would like to do it now as i currently ALSO need to get a 2nd police check done for a volunteer position as it is also involving working with children.

But I am just worried that if I am to insistent on wanting them to hire me at the earliest possible point for ANY part time entry level social work related job they have available that they might not hire me. I don't want to seem like I am not cooperative or come off as one of those people who think that they can have what they want when they want it. I just really want a job there. And I want then to know that getting a job there is also very important to me. And if they had the police check on file ahead of time wouldn't that make their lives easier? I mean, they'd probably want another one, but at least they'd know I'm not already a pedophile right?

It is a Saturday today, so I am going to wait until Monday at least to proceed with anything, but what should I do? Email, phone, don't do either? mooch for a job, just the police check.

PS. when I emailed my resume I got an automated email back saying thanks for sending the resume, that they keep resumes on file for 6 months and that they'll contact me further if they're interested etc. But does that mean I CAN'T show further interest? I don't see why it shouldn't but yeah I dunno...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: What should I do about this job I want? - June 22nd 2012, 02:32 AM

I think it's strange that the person you spoke to didn't even give you an e-mail address or specific instructions for applying online! How rude. There's absolutely nothing wrong with following up. Just because you got an automated response doesn't mean that someone saw your message. The e-mail address could be out-of-date (and whoever manages the website didn't update it). The message may have been viewed, but someone may have failed to file your resume in the proper area. It's always, always a good idea to follow up, and I would do so over the phone if possible. That way, you don't have to wait for a response via e-mail, you can be transferred to the correct person right away, you can listen as they search for and confirm that they received your e-mail, etc. It's not pushy, and it doesn't suggest that you feel a sense of entitlement. It just shows you're proactive and serious about working with the agency. =)

Now, I'm not sure if pushing the idea of keeping a background check on file is a good one. For starters, like you said, they may want a new one after they decide to hire you. They may also want it done through a company/agency of their choosing, not yours. They may not feel like keeping additional paperwork on file for someone they haven't decided to hire yet. Even worse, they may feel you're assuming too much, and some (very cynical) people might question your motives. I would stick to being proactive, while following the agency's rules/guidelines for applying. Show them you're passionate and want to work for them, but that you can also be obedient/a follower and won't cause trouble for your future boss/supervisor.

Closed Thread