TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
into creation x Offline
Not a n00b

Interview Tomorrow - June 17th 2012, 04:12 PM

I've got an interview tomorrow. I'm not confident in interviews and I'm especially not feeling confident about this one as I'm worried they will ask about time off at my previous job. This was asked in the application form but I left it blank.

I've taken a lot of time off sick and don't know if I should be honest or slightly lie. I don't have a record but I probably could work it out so it's not far out the truth. This year alone I had taken 3 seperate weeks off, so that's already 15 days over 3 periods, then I took 2 weeks off as one period. And I think there was the odd day here and there but not too many. Last year there were I think a day or 2 off every 3 to 4 weeks. But I don't think I took off any whole weeks.

My sickness last year was mostly for migraines and this year has been for low mood/depression.

That's obviously a lot of time off and this is going to go against me.

If they ask about sick days/periods which I think is likely, what do I say?!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Interview Tomorrow - June 17th 2012, 04:48 PM

Depending where you are applying, taking time off doesn't matter. I had a took and left for a week, then 3 weeks, then at least another weeks worth of time here and there in a matter of a few months. It really wasn't a big deal. If it were me, and someone inquired into why/how often I take time off my reply would be something like "well, my parents don't live here, so of course, I do travel a few times a year so I can see them, but as long as I will be able to go see my parents for Christmas, I am willing to be flexible with when else I take time off"... You can't tell an employer that you will NEVER take time off, you just need to make it clear that you will do you're upmost best to make it work for THEM (even if in reality, you will travel/need time off when you bloody well need it, like you can't exactly control it if you have to write exams on days XY and Z and need the day before and day of off right...)... You just need to say it in a way so that you are being honest, but spin it positively so that you can let them know that anything that isn't 100% positive can sound good for them... And if you try to be casual and friendly they'll be more likely to overlook sometimes if you make up for it in other ways since people can't be perfect

Closed Thread