TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Name: BDF

Job application questions - June 22nd 2012, 02:38 PM

So I'm applying here and there, and have come across this question which I find pretty hard to answer for some reason.

2.This question asks how you have communicated effectively with another person or other people.

Please describe a time someone disagreed with a decision you had made.
Why did they disagree?
How did you react?
What action did you take?
How did the other person react?
What was the outcome?
What, (if anything), did you learn from this situation?

I could do with some ideas. Disagreements with parents... don't count lol. The problem with me is that I don't usually give a shit about 2nd opinions, and get most things done by myself. That's just the truth. It's obviously not what I'd say in a job interview. Besides... it's different when I'm working towards towards some fixed goal as part of a group... but I can't think of any examples to fit those questions above.

"I don't care about politics"
Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
survivor. :)
I've been here a while

Name: Anna

Re: Job application questions - June 22nd 2012, 05:57 PM

Hey there

I'll have a go at suggesting a few things that could apply to you!

In a group project for example, have you ever had a different opinion to someone else on how to do something? A disagreement with friends/colleague/a boss/teacher over anything?

Also, although I wouldn't advise it all the time, you could write one based an experience you have had - maybe when you disagreed with someone else? Or maybe a friend has had an experience that you could use. If you do - make sure you know it inside out as if you are interviewed they could talk about it.

In addition, there doesn't always have to be a "proper" answers to the questions as you will find it hard to find a scenario that answers them all fully. Some questions may have only 1/2 lines of writing.

Hope that helps a bit!
Let me know if I can be of any help and take care,
Anna

You have to have the negative things in life
to be able to appreciate the positives.
TG 05/04/2013

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Job application questions - June 22nd 2012, 05:59 PM

First, it might help to think about what you want to convey to the employer. The answer is right there in the question: they want to know that you can communicate effectively with bosses, co-workers, and customers, even if those parties disagree with your approach/method. They want to know that you can explain your process, and do so without being rude or overly sensitive. They want to know that you can be flexible and accommodating, if your approach/method doesn't work well for the team as a whole.

After you've identified what the employer is looking for, it's easier to come up with a story that shows the employer all of these things. It could be something as simple as choosing which movie you wanted to see. Hopefully, you can come up with a better example than that, as going to the movies can be pretty mundane... but hear me out. =P

2.This question asks how you have communicated effectively with another person or other people.

Please describe a time someone disagreed with a decision you had made.
"I was with two friends, and we wanted to see a movie. I picked [Title], and while one friend was okay with the selection, the other was not."
Why did they disagree?
"They disagreed because it was a sequel, and they claimed the first movie had been pretty bad, so the second movie could only be worse."
How did you react?
"I was surprised, because I really liked the first movie, and I was excited to see what would happen with the second movie."
What action did you take?
"I still wanted to see the movie, but I didn't want to force my friend to see a movie he wasn't interested in, nor did I want to leave him out while my other friend and I watched the movie. I asked my other friend (who also wanted to see the movie) if they were okay with seeing something that all three of us would be interested in."
How did the other person react?
"They were very appreciative of the gesture, and apologized for not being interested in seeing the same movie that my other friend and I wanted to see."
What was the outcome?
"We ended up finding [Other Title], which turned out to be a pretty good movie. My other friend and I ended up seeing [Title] the following weekend."
What, (if anything), did you learn from this situation?

"I learned that you can almost always find a way to compromise so that everyone is satisfied with the outcome, even if it's not the 'perfect' solution for them. I also learned that it's important to be flexible, because sometimes you won't be able to get what you want right when you want it. It's important to think about the whole team first and focus on your personal interests afterward."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Job application questions - June 22nd 2012, 10:41 PM

Thanks, it's certainly useful.

Then politics doesn't care about you either. Truth. You've got to make your voice heard, if you want to be listened to. But that's too logical for some people, so let me go a step further. Not making your voice heard, leaves other people free to hijack it by speaking on your behalf, even if they don't actually give a shit about you. That's politics. So, make your voice heard. That's not a quote from anywhere. That's just me.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Job application questions - June 24th 2012, 04:28 PM

The problem is that it depends on the situation.... Like for example, if I was doing a group project and I said we should do X and someone disagreed, I'd obviously argue my case. If it really wasn't something that was a big deal, then I'd let it go and probably compromise, but I'm also not about to be a push over and put on an application that OF COURSE I ALWAYS back down to someone else. I don't think it shows that you are a team player or what ever by telling a boss that you back down to people just cause they don't agree with your idea. But at the same time you don't want to tell them something that will make you look stubborn and uncooperative. So I can definitely understand your problem here...

You could always use an example, like say, you were planning a trip trip to the cabin with some friends and you said that you didn't want anyone drinking there yadayadayada, and GI Joe likes his disgusting cheap beer, Bud, Bud Light, Canadian, Corona, take your pick, they're all nasty, and was convinced he should be allowed to bring it any how. Obviously this is a situation where you would say no, and it would be all happy happy.... But then again, you might want to change it to GI Joe wanting to bring peanuts and having to say no since Captain America is allergic to peanuts haha cause yeah mentioning alcohol on a job application, probs not wise haha

I think the best thing to think of would defs be something where you can show you are willing to cooperate with others, but that you will stick to your decisions unless someone else comes up with an idea you enjoy better (which you can explain on the "what did you learn" part). Bull shit if you have to, you can embellish an insignificant situation if you have to. Don't lie, just beef up the story. It's super hard to think of monumental ideas sometimes lol so don't feel like you need to come up with the "well, my buddies and I had to come up with an elaborate plan to build a fort high up in trees and we even built weapons and this was all in order to evade a zombie invasion" kinda tale.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
BDF Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Job application questions - June 24th 2012, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble bee View Post
The problem is that it depends on the situation.... Like for example, if I was doing a group project and I said we should do X and someone disagreed, I'd obviously argue my case. If it really wasn't something that was a big deal, then I'd let it go and probably compromise, but I'm also not about to be a push over and put on an application that OF COURSE I ALWAYS back down to someone else. I don't think it shows that you are a team player or what ever by telling a boss that you back down to people just cause they don't agree with your idea. But at the same time you don't want to tell them something that will make you look stubborn and uncooperative. So I can definitely understand your problem here...

You could always use an example, like say, you were planning a trip trip to the cabin with some friends and you said that you didn't want anyone drinking there yadayadayada, and GI Joe likes his disgusting cheap beer, Bud, Bud Light, Canadian, Corona, take your pick, they're all nasty, and was convinced he should be allowed to bring it any how. Obviously this is a situation where you would say no, and it would be all happy happy.... But then again, you might want to change it to GI Joe wanting to bring peanuts and having to say no since Captain America is allergic to peanuts haha cause yeah mentioning alcohol on a job application, probs not wise haha

I think the best thing to think of would defs be something where you can show you are willing to cooperate with others, but that you will stick to your decisions unless someone else comes up with an idea you enjoy better (which you can explain on the "what did you learn" part). Bull shit if you have to, you can embellish an insignificant situation if you have to. Don't lie, just beef up the story. It's super hard to think of monumental ideas sometimes lol so don't feel like you need to come up with the "well, my buddies and I had to come up with an elaborate plan to build a fort high up in trees and we even built weapons and this was all in order to evade a zombie invasion" kinda tale.
I managed to think of something good. It's to do with an entrepreneurship project that I did last year. Someone wanted to base a business plan on some vague idea of a law consultancy company... I wanted to base it on a new solar PV technology.

And I just talked about all that typical stuff about communication, informed group decisions, rational approaches, keeping cool about the whole thing, etc.

Yea... ACED.

Thnx for all the help though. It did take me a while to figure this one out nicely.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Job application questions - June 25th 2012, 02:47 AM

Yeah sorry, I mean, I hope I helped (apparently it is a Canadian habit to apologize unnecessarily, I realized I didn't know why I was saying sorry and came back to edit), i wasn't really sure if I was actually telling you anything useful or if I was just giving on of those explanations that made sense in my mind but would be one of those things that just illicits confused stares from those who were listening lmao (it happens now an again...)... I hope you get the job, or at least an interview .. I hate coming up with answers to questions like that for applications, so I hope it is worth your time... Though I have always wanted to get a job application and just fill it out with random answers (read: creative and amusing but yet totally true) and see how well it goes though, keep in mind, it would be to somewhere like wal-mart where i wouldn't give a damn whether or not they think I need to be picked up by the nice men in white jackets or not.

Closed Thread