TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
prettygale17 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Stephanie

I want to be a chef but my mother.. HELP! - July 16th 2012, 11:44 PM

I'm in 10th Grade and its the time to to start looking into careers well i have a thing to cook and bake i want to become a chef but i was talking to my mother and she wants me to do something in science or math or something medical like a nurse she wants me to have money but i don't like math im not good in math and i dont like science i like cooking and baking i want to become a chef what do i do should i do what my mother wants then go into what i want or what i just need to know what to do.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: I want to be a chef but my mother.. HELP! - July 17th 2012, 12:29 AM

Hey Stephanie, I think you should do what you want because if you do what other people want you to do then you'll HATE it and probably end up quitting and going into what you originally wanted to do anyway. Save yourself the time, it's your life you should study what you think you'll enjoy. Talk to your mom and see why she's so set on you doing medicine/science and then explain that you really don't want to. In the end she just wants you to be happy with a stable income and there's no reason you can't have that as a chef.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
CanadaCraig Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: I want to be a chef but my mother.. HELP! - July 17th 2012, 12:31 AM

Hi Stephanie!

I hope you're having a groovy day!!

Chances are - your mom just wants you to do something that she thinks probably has more promise insofar as being a 'stable job' is concerned. [So she doesn't have to worry about you as you get on with your life]

IF you are quite serious about the idea of becoming a chef - then do some homework. Find out how likely it is for a chef to make a living. [i.e. 'get a job'!] What do you have to do to become a chef? Is there a chef's school anywhere near you? How much would it cost to go to that school? What would you do for money while AT school? And would you be guaranteed a job once you graduated? Even a chef needs to eat!! haha

What you need to do is gather up as much information as you can so you can enlighten your mom [And yourself] to what life is like for a typical chef.

Who knows. Maybe you'll change your mind and decide to become an astronaut!! [LIFE is like that - sometimes!!]

Good luck!

GBH - Craig!!

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: I want to be a chef but my mother.. HELP! - July 17th 2012, 01:29 AM

You could always just take home ec classes, cook lots, etc. and get part time jobs AS a cook while in high school.... You should check out colleges and find out what kind of classes you need to get into the cooking programs (since it'll only help your case when trying to open your own restaurant and/or getting a stable job at someone else's restaurant), that way if you need anything other than english you can take it. PLUS you can always take math and science until grade 12 just to shut your mom up while still living with her AND to keep those as a back up incase you decide "hey guess what I DO wanna be a nurse". And when it comes time to apply for college/university, you can just apply to all the places (apply to nursing or what ever to make your mom happy, and apply to chef college to make you happy and just accept the chef one) AND you can always tell your mom that you can get 2 degrees, a lot of people do (I'm probs going to end up with a 4 year degree, a masters and a 2 year diploma). These days it's pretty common to end up with more than 1 degree. Why you'd need a nursing diploma AND a chef diploma is a mystery but you can always tell your mom that being a chef is what you wanna do, and that you WILL compromise and take science classes in high school JUST IN CASE but that you wanna go to college to be a chef, and tell her that you will be willing to get nursing diploma (part time OR full time) after that if being a chef doesn't work out for you....... You just need to do your research, find out what requirements you need in high school (and for extra curriculars for medical/chef college programs) and then go to your mom AND be willing to compromise with her (you'll keep taking science as a back up so long she stops resisting the fact that for the time being becoming a chef is what you want)

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread