TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Points: 22,445, Level: 21 Points: 22,445, Level: 21 Points: 22,445, Level: 21

First Year at College...ahhh!! - August 8th 2012, 01:44 AM

16 days until I leave my house to live on my own, with people I don't know, not even one familiar face, without my parents, by myself with my issues...Any suggestions? What was your first time at college like? (No horror stories please!) I'm doing as much as I can to be prepared but with an anxiety disorder AND this huge transition...I'm freaking out!

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
kiuncci Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,195, Level: 12 Points: 7,195, Level: 12 Points: 7,195, Level: 12

Re: First Year at College...ahhh!! - August 8th 2012, 02:42 AM

I remember my first time at college, it was really exciting and it get me to be nervous too :P however it's more fun in college lots of new challenges..lots of pressures :P probably the most interesting haha..

Here...I finally discover that it was interesting to be in a college level, there are more challenges to be encountered. A little bit hard compared for being a high school student; when you were already college then you were in a more complicated years of your life. However, you are free to choose your schedules you wanted to attend; sometimes you can even chose not to attend to the subject you didn’t want and simply drop it off. But I’m not one of those, yet I will simply drop out the subjects that I knew I had taken already in my previous school (or course I’ve take formerly). I’ve find out that you can add a subject you wanted to enroll whenever it was not in your curriculum. I realized how powerful we are to choose what we wanted to take when we were in college life.

I don;t know if in your country is having the same education system at college :P
Well, that's my story..I am now graduate w/ associative degree but I really want to study again with major in Literature or in Psychology, if I can get a luck why not?

No matter how ready you were, surely you'll get hurt when something happens was unexpected to you, even when you say nothing at all.

There are a lot of things you can discover about something/someone but even only few is enough if you have a better understanding to know what's behind those you already knew...

As long as you have a heart you can love, but you cannot love unless you did it with your heart.

Forgive, Forget
Found True Love in the Lord, our God
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: First Year at College...ahhh!! - August 8th 2012, 05:21 AM

Well, I wouldn't call my first year of college a "horror story". It is true that I almost failed out in my first year. But I don't think that is something that should freak other people out. Put it this way, I have ADHD with a history of some problems with depression and anxiety (always brought on by things in my life as opposed to it being clinical), so not only was I in a program I didn't really intend to be in (I just chose something cause my parents said to go and I really didn't have a well thought out alternative to counter them with) I also have a high tendency to NOT do things if I find it boring, not to mention I found high school easy so I didn't have good study skills and ended up needing special help from the place that helps people with disabilities. I was also living in a city where I didn't know anyone except my BF from back home who lived 30 mins away and our relationship which started going downhill shortly after starting college put a lot strain on my life as well. I ended up failing 2 classes and getting a few C's and D's, in fact the only courses I got B's in were in politics which was why I ended up changing programs and turning to the social sciences. Why I don't want you to think this is a horror story is because I stuck with it, I changed my program, went part time for a year to sort things out, and started getting better grades. I got my first A's this last semester, sure it took 2 years but I am a full year behind any how because of my first year, changing majors AND going part time for a few semesters. I am MUCH better with my ADHD now (in my attention issues don't affect my school any longer to the same degree) and I no longer have the problems I was having with depression and anxiety due to the stress I was under from various things. I think if anything I am a good person to talk to about going to college, I actually had to struggle so I know more about over coming the challenges that such a big change in your life can cause. I think people who just glided through never really have to worry, sure I don't have the financial issues that some people do, but that's about ALL that I didn't get hit with, which is a blessing because I think if financial stress had been added to the debacle of my first year I probably wouldn't have shown up for my second year. And now I am grateful for the challenges I went through because I think it made me a stronger person and I think it made me more self aware and confident in myself. So THAT is why I don't consider it a horror story. So don't let people tell you bad stories, they just haven't been bothered to grow and make use of their experiences yet.

MY BEST RECOMMENDATION is to contact the disability service office at your school if you have an anxiety disorder. They'll make sure you are getting the help you need in how to study even if your anxious and how to manage stress during exam time and stuff like that. Trust me, it would be better to do that and make it into a TO BIG of a deal than act like it doesn't matter and get screwed over. You can always leave if you think that you aren't really getting anything from them and going to see them WILL NOT show up on your records so employers and/or grad schools won't judge you for being someone who has quote unquote "issues". Example: I don't take their help any more, I just keep in contact with them enough to maintain my accommodations that allow me write my exams in a separate room from my class with fewer people and get time accommodations and stuff.

If you need to talk, please PM me ok.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
Closed Thread