TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stiena Offline
Average Joe

Name: Christian

School is pushing me over the edge... - August 9th 2012, 01:32 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of suicide, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread therefore might not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I'm two months to being legal.. dropping out is so tempting. I don't want to go to college in the first place really, and I don't care what employers "require". They don't have the right to force me to go somewhere I HATE, blackmailing me with the option of a life of poverty. Between sucking it up and going to college, joining the military, or living a life of poverty, I think I'd rather just end it all. I hate everything about high school. Telling me that my life will become worthless crap when it's already worthless crap is not apt to make me change my mind.. it's all so pointless.

I am not alone- not beaten down just yet.. I am not afraid of the voices in my head. Down the darkest road, something follows me! I am not alone.. 'Cause misery loves my company!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: School is pushing me over the edge... - August 9th 2012, 04:33 PM

NO one will hire you for a reputable job without a high school diploma. You will be flipping burgers forever. They aren't "threatening" you with a life of poverty. It's true. In most countries you can't even join the military or become a police officer with out it. I know it's hard, I HATED high school more than most. If you are as depressed as you seem right now you need to talk to someone. You need to just get through high school. Even if it doesn't matter to you now I can pretty much promise to you that it will matter later. Do you really want to be a janitor or flip burgers for ever? Yes, someone has to do it, and no, there is nothing wrong with it technically, but I'd hate for anyone to do it because they had no choice. I think you need to talk to someone about it. Like a professional, because it's high school, it's not that hard to get through, and you might need some help with depression or what ever is going on in your life. High school ends, you need to finish it, and do what ever you can. College isn't the only reason you need it

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: School is pushing me over the edge... - August 9th 2012, 10:18 PM

Hey there,

How close are you to graduating, are you a senior? Would it be possible for you to switch to online high school inbetween now and graduation? I know it's tough, but the degree is worth it, and it doesn't HAVE to be miserable, things can change!

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said ďit hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Stiena Offline
Average Joe

Re: School is pushing me over the edge... - August 11th 2012, 11:51 PM

I don't think I could switch to online school without money and parental support. All I am trying to do is cut these evil morons off, and they're not going to come back into my life.. Also, time is very much different for me than it is for other people. No matter how short the time seems for you, right now I'm already pushed to the breaking point, and MONTHS more of this will not do.

I am not alone- not beaten down just yet.. I am not afraid of the voices in my head. Down the darkest road, something follows me! I am not alone.. 'Cause misery loves my company!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: School is pushing me over the edge... - August 12th 2012, 12:25 AM

I agree with bumble bee and Traci. High school is something you just have to get through as best you can, because it will help you later in life. You may not want to go to college and that's okay. But a lot of jobs, even the military, are requiring a high school diploma now. It's probably best just to get through it so that you will have it later on.

Have you ever even researched online school options, Christian? I don't know where you live, but if you live in the U.S. I am almost certain that you will be able to switch to an online, PUBLIC high school program at little or no cost.
Quote:
http://www.k12.com/schools-programs/...public-schools
Because they're part of the public school system, Online Public Schools are always tuition free. The entire curriculum is provided free of charge, and in many cases a loaner computer, printer, and Internet access* are also provided.
And many parents do find out that the online option is better for their kids. Yours might, too.

I'm sorry you're hurting right now, and I'm sorry that life seems so pointless. But giving up isn't the solution. Find a counselor, a close friend, or just someone to listen. Reach out. There's so much more to life than this, if you just give yourself the time to experience it.

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Stiena Offline
Average Joe

Re: School is pushing me over the edge... - August 12th 2012, 07:39 PM

The problem is that this will all be pointless if I'm dead.. because truth be told, even if you complete high school, then the push is on to send you to anything other than work after that, even if you don't have a choice such as in the case of my partner. I'm just so sick of the way we do things. It's ludicrous and I hate everything about it. I don't want this "American Dream" bull.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Mitch Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mitchell

Re: School is pushing me over the edge... - August 13th 2012, 03:18 AM

You do realise that the American Dream isn't a reality for most? You do realise you are privileged enough to be able to attend a school in the first place? There are kids on the streets whose parents ran out on them or did drugs and got killed or were so poverty stricken they couldn't afford a life for their children, let alone an education, and these kids have nothing, without somebody to provide these things to them, they are wasted souls, and now they too have lost the strive to succeed. But yet it wasn't their fault or their intention.
Odds, are with that attitude, even if you did stay in school, I don't see why they are going to bother wasting their time and resources to push you into post education. Just get an apprenticeship and go into the workforce, life sucks.
And no, businesses or others can't force you to make decisions, but then that is the part where they just don't give a shit. People will only be willing to help you if you help yourself.
Just put in a little effort?
But honestly, what is the problem? People, grades, or something happening at home?

Last edited by Mitch; August 13th 2012 at 04:21 AM.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: School is pushing me over the edge... - August 13th 2012, 12:05 PM

Finish highschool, join the military.

Trust me, that's the way to go. You have a guaranteed job, will stay fit, secure income and residency, food isn't half bad, you'll be doing something that actually matters, and you get to go shoot guns and fight people :3

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Stiena Offline
Average Joe

August 13th 2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
You do realise that the American Dream isn't a reality for most? You do realise you are privileged enough to be able to attend a school in the first place? There are kids on the streets whose parents ran out on them or did drugs and got killed or were so poverty stricken they couldn't afford a life for their children, let alone an education, and these kids have nothing, without somebody to provide these things to them, they are wasted souls, and now they too have lost the strive to succeed. But yet it wasn't their fault or their intention.
Odds, are with that attitude, even if you did stay in school, I don't see why they are going to bother wasting their time and resources to push you into post education. Just get an apprenticeship and go into the workforce, life sucks.
And no, businesses or others can't force you to make decisions, but then that is the part where they just don't give a shit. People will only be willing to help you if you help yourself.
Just put in a little effort?
But honestly, what is the problem? People, grades, or something happening at home?
EXCUSE ME?! You don't even know me! You have no idea about my life or me! I am NOT some whiney fourteen year old! I am almost 18 and I have been through more hell than some adults. I'm not a stranger to poverty; many people I know including myself went through it. School is enforced by law; it is not a privilege. If someone is under those circumstances, if they've any sense at all, they go to the police and human resources. Child protective services will step in. Don't you DARE act like the "American dream" is some happy privilege! How is living the same life as every else any different than communism? It's not! I will not be made to feel guilty when I know good and well what I've endured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
Finish highschool, join the military.

Trust me, that's the way to go. You have a guaranteed job, will stay fit, secure income and residency, food isn't half bad, you'll be doing something that actually matters, and you get to go shoot guns and fight people :3
Nope. Military goes against every single principle I stand for. Guns aren't honorable weapons in the least.

Last edited by PSY; August 24th 2012 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: School is pushing me over the edge... - August 15th 2012, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiena View Post
Nope. Military goes against every single principle I stand for. Guns aren't honorable weapons in the least.
Guns are perfectly honorable and the world needs soldiers. Hell, go be a PMC and make over $100,000 a year for standing guar and shooting at the occasional paki when you get the chance.

Just seems more exciting then more schooling, and you've got a guaranteed income.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: School is pushing me over the edge... - August 15th 2012, 03:31 AM

Quote:
EXCUSE ME?! You don't even know me! You have no idea about my life or me! I am NOT some whiney fourteen year old! I am almost 18 and I have been through more hell than some adults. I'm not a stranger to poverty; many people I know including myself went through it. School is enforced by law; it is not a privilege. If someone is under those circumstances, if they've any sense at all, they go to the police and human resources. Child protective services will step in. Don't you DARE act like the "American dream" is some happy privilege! How is living the same life as every else any different than communism? It's not! I will not be made to feel guilty when I know good and well what I've endured.
I understand that high school can be extremely difficult. But not finishing high school is going to be so much harder on you in the long run. High school is not a happy time for a lot of students and you are not the only one who feels like this. It can be extremely challenging and at times feel impossible to connect to anyone or anything around you. But you are so close to finishing; it would be such a waste of all the effort you have put in for the last ten years for you not to finish now. You do not have to go to college; I really believe that is not the best path for some people. And you do not have to join the military if you do not wish to. But I really feel that finishing high school is something you do need to do. You will not be eligible for most jobs without a diploma or GED. If you do not pass now, you will regret it in the future one day, maybe not next year, maybe not in the next five years, but one day you will wish you stuck out those last few months to finish. Once you leave, it is so much harder to get your GED.
May I ask why high school has been so difficult up to this point? Are you being bullied or pressured by peers? Do you feel like you donít fit in or that you canít relate to anyone? Maybe we can help you more with some more information on your situation. Remember if you are feeling upset there is always someone on TH to listen to you.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#12 (permalink)) Old
#summer Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: School is pushing me over the edge... - August 15th 2012, 09:25 AM

you have only got 2 months left, i hate high school and im on in year 8 ( 12 to 13 year olds) last yer almost made me kill myself due to the fact i had two much homework, this yr is going to be even worse, but i no i need gd grades to get somewhere in life. i know im never gonna be to top but i no i can only try my best to be. For a career i would love to do professional sport and even go to the olympics for taekwondo

just keep trying, your then be glad when its all over

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Delicious Chaos Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: School is pushing me over the edge... - August 15th 2012, 09:51 AM

I know exactly how you feel. School can be super stressful. My life has been really hard too. I am also 18 but I graduated HS a few months ago. Ultimately this is your choice. You can really live your life any way you want. No one can force you to do anything but if you do drop out, what are you going to do to stand on your feet because one day you will need your own income.

Other thing you could do is get your GED (I know many people that have done this, including my mom because she dropped out of the 11th grade because she was pregnant at the time) but they GED also takes a huge amount of studying.

Its your choice on how you want to live your life but consider staying in HS till the end, you are almost done!!

ďIíve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. Iíve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, Iíve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. Iíve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.Ē
- Michael Jordan

Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.
- John Wooden
  Send a message via Yahoo to Delicious Chaos Send a message via Skype™ to Delicious Chaos 
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
JohnCoop Offline
Average Joe

Name: John W. Cooper

Re: School is pushing me over the edge... - August 15th 2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
I'm not really sure what an 'honorable' weapon is but if you don't want to use guns or kill people than join the Air Force or Navy and be an aircraft mechanic. They'll give you all the training you need to get a good (and fair paying) job after your time is up. The world and the US in particular is need of people who can service and repair all of the countless systems on an aircraft whether it's a Cessna 172 private plane, an F-15 Eagle or a Boeing 787 airliner.

I'm sorry but I don't really see a whole lot of options for you if you don't finish high school, all I can say is go on ahead and finish it the best you can.

What kind of job do want? If you answer that question then perhaps the people on here can better help you.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Goodbye_Lullaby Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Ciara

Re: School is pushing me over the edge... - August 23rd 2012, 01:35 PM

Ok, I'm not sure how things are over there in America, and how school works and stuff. But just grit your teeth and do it. Your nearly there and then you can chose your path. And because I don't know you I won't say what you should do. Because it all depends on the person. But think about what you like and find a career. I understand that you don't want to join the military, so if that's not what you want to do. Don't, there is a whole world with lots of opertunitys. I don't know how it feels to be in your situation as I'm 13 and still have a lot of school left. But don't give up! Trust me it will be worth it

(#16 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: School is pushing me over the edge... - August 23rd 2012, 11:51 PM

I would just like to state that most "burger flipping" places won't even let you stick fries in a vat of oil without a high school diploma or GED.
If you want to drop it, at least do something with a GED. Honestly, not staying in school may be what seems right as of now, but without a diploma or equivalent, things just aren't going to go very well in terms of employment.

I don't know.. Become self sufficient, start a farm if school isn't your thing.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

Closed Thread