TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Michael

Question Regarding Pell Grant - August 11th 2012, 04:46 AM

I am currently enrolled for Fall semester. The only financial aid I accepted was the pell grant. Classes haven't started yet, and I was wondering if I dropped the courses, would I be required to re-pay the pell grant? (I am moving out-of-state)

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Question Regarding Pell Grant - August 11th 2012, 04:53 AM

I found this information on Pell Grant FAQ:
Quote:
What happens to my Pell Grant funding if I withdraw from a class or classes?
The Pell Grant can be fractionally prorated in regard to your enrollment status, so if it changes before you have actually received any aid from a Pell Grant, the amount you receive will simply be altered accordingly by your school’s financial aid office. If your enrollment status changes after you have received the proceeds of your Pell Grant, you will most likely have to pay back what the difference is, and if you don’t you may risk having a Pell overpayment on your record, and this can make you ineligible for any sort of future federal aid.
I don't know how reliable this website is, though, so your best bet may be to contact someone via the FAFSA website or Federal Student Aid website and ask about your particular situation. Someone at your current university's financial aid office would probably also know the answer to your question.

In my opinion, it would make sense that the government would require you to repay the grant. Otherwise, the government would just be throwing money at the university for no real reason, which doesn't make sense, and would just deprive another student of the opportunity to receive that money! If you're not going to use the money, then it should go back to the government, or it should be used at another university you attend... but it's not like you or the university can just keep the money if it's not being used for its intended purpose.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Question Regarding Pell Grant - August 11th 2012, 11:49 PM

The courses haven't even started yet, it would make sense that since the money isn't being used, they can give it back

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Question Regarding Pell Grant - August 12th 2012, 04:06 AM

Ah, okay. I misunderstood your question - I thought you were implying that you might stick around and drop the classes AFTER you start attending those classes. If you leave the university (which would automatically result in your removal from any classes you are currently enrolled in), then yes, I imagine it would be easy to just have the school and FAFSA talk to each other, in order to ensure the money is returned to the proper individual(s).

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Question Regarding Pell Grant - August 12th 2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY View Post
Ah, okay. I misunderstood your question - I thought you were implying that you might stick around and drop the classes AFTER you start attending those classes. If you leave the university (which would automatically result in your removal from any classes you are currently enrolled in), then yes, I imagine it would be easy to just have the school and FAFSA talk to each other, in order to ensure the money is returned to the proper individual(s).
Sorry, I was on a phone and it has some missing pixels so it is really shitty to type on. Otherwise, I would have responded more clearly.

Closed Thread