TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
madmax0116 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sage

Procrastination ruining my life - August 13th 2012, 05:38 PM

Hello, I'm Max and I've just joined TeenHelp. I may have created this thread in the wrong category but I'm new here so forgive me.

I'm in my final year of school. I only have to attend six lectures a week, for three days. My school is somewhat like prep schools in the US. I live in one of the school dorms. I'm preparing for the entrance exam of a very prestigious college which is very competitive and rigorous. It requires me to study at least seven hours daily. But I procrastinate and waste so much time I don't even study for an hour these days. It's really worrying me. This is my schedule:
School Day:
Between 12PM-2PM: Wake up and have some breakfast which has gone cold (breakfast is served at 9AM)
3PM : Have lunch
4PM-8PM : Class
8PM-10PM : Hangout with friends
-3AM : Surf the internet and fall asleep doing so.

Non school day = Complete waste from start to end. Hang out with friends, surf the internet, try to study (but fail).

Most of the times I cannot get down and study. I just stare at the wall, use the internet, scratch my head, listen to music, doze off, or talk to friends on cellphone. My family is not very rich and have sacrificed a lot for me so that I could get into this expensive school. But even all of that does not motivate me enough to stop procrastinating and study seriously.

Please help me. Any advice would be appreciated. Also, I love reading (but not my course material), so please suggest some books that might motivate me. I know I cannot do anything unless I decide to do it myself, but these things would be like catalysts for me. Thank you in advance.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Procrastination ruining my life - August 13th 2012, 06:50 PM

Welcome to TeenHelp! =)

I would start off by altering your sleep and eating schedule. Human beings are not designed to wake up at noon and fall asleep at 3:00 A.M. Breakfast is served at 9:00 A.M. because you're supposed to have a meal early in the day. It gives you energy to get through the rest of day - which means being able to study effectively. Start by getting up at a decent time, like 8:30 A.M. Get dressed, look at your agenda for the day, and grab breakfast. Eat it with as few distractions as possible (ex. not eating while you're surfing the internet), and when you're done, get to work. Turn off all your electronic devices that aren't required for studying (if you need to use the computer for writing papers, disable the internet so you can only use the Word program). Set a goal, such as "work uninterrupted from 10-12 P.M." Once you have met that goal, feel free to treat yourself to a short break - no more than half an hour is my recommendation. After that, work for another 2-3 hours. Grab lunch at some point and go to class. When you're done with class, grab dinner, have another short break, and get another 2 hours of studying done before going to bed at a decent time (12-1 AM should be the absolute limit, so you can still get around 7-8 hours of sleep each day). It's important to maintain this sleep and eating schedule on the weekends as well (and instead of going to class from 4-8 PM, you could spend that time with friends in order to make up for the lack of time you spend with them Monday - Friday).

Ultimately, this is going to come down to willpower and discipline. We can give you suggestions on how to improve your concentration, and we can give you titles for self-help books... but if you want to succeed, YOU will have to make the decision to do what is needed in order to succeed. That means being strict with yourself and limiting the amount of time you spend goofing off. That means prioritizing school, your goals, your family's sacrifice, etc. above the temporary satisfaction of spending time with friends every single day. You don't have to give up ALL your fun time with friends, you don't have to give up ALL your fun reading time, and you don't have to give up ALL your fun time online... you just need to do all of that in moderation, always remembering what the ultimate goal/reward is for all your hard work in school. If you can apply yourself during this last school year, you can enjoy a better future and have a lot more "fun time" when you have that dream job/career in a few years.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
madmax0116 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Procrastination ruining my life - August 13th 2012, 07:06 PM

@PSY Thank you so much. I'll do that. But still, it would REALLY help if you suggested a book because books, no matter what type, have a huge impact on me. Thank you once again.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Procrastination ruining my life - August 13th 2012, 09:03 PM

There's a book I own (but haven't read yet) called "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People." It's been around for a long time and seems to have generated positive reviews for the most part. It's designed to help with a number of issues you're dealing with now, such as time management and prioritization of goals/activities. From what I understand, that book is really meant to be studied, vs. skimmed over (think of it as a seminar in book format), so you can get as much as possible out of it.

Do you have any role models who are famous? If they have written an autobiography, that might be a great book to check out as well. Whoever this person is, I can guarantee they had to work very, very hard to get to where they're at today (even if they came from a well-known family). Find inspiration from your role model and try to be as driven as they are/were.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
madmax0116 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Procrastination ruining my life - August 14th 2012, 10:58 PM

Thanks, I'll check it out.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
#summer Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Procrastination ruining my life - August 15th 2012, 09:31 AM

you really need to change your sleep pattern going to bed at 2am and then having to study that same day is ridiculous if u went to be earlier you would get up earlier meaning then you could have breakfast at 9 and then have lunch at 1 and study between breakfast and lunch and then you could study afterwards before going to class and then you could hang out with ur mates in the evening

Closed Thread