TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Name: Jess

Gap year pros and cons? - August 13th 2012, 10:51 PM

So I am going into my final year of high school and I feel I've decided on working for a gap year before I go into University, and at the time my sister and I had worked it out so I could save a bit of money to travel or bring my boyfriend over from Croatia between my second and third year of university...HOWEVER that didn't work out so now I'm singular and working a shit farm job (hard labour for minimum wage (if that)) and I REALLY don't want to be stuck doing this sort of thing in my gap year it's making me want to go to University faster. However if I don't take a gap year in a familiar city I'm kind of intimidated just to leave my province and straight for a new one where I hardly know anyone...what do you guys think would be important in the making of these sort of decisions? What are some pros and cons of a gap year?

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows.
It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.
How much you can take, and keep moving forward.
PM me if you need to talk about ANYTHING.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Gap year pros and cons? - August 14th 2012, 06:17 AM

So just to clarify, your plan is to take a gap year in the city where you would be attending university? Or would the gap year be spent where you currently are? If it's the latter, then how will taking a year off give you any opportunities to meet people in/near the university you plan to attend? Will you have time for that, if you're working full-time?

There are plenty of pros and cons to gap years. Some pros include being able to save money (and not have to take out as much in student loans), gaining work experience relevant to your future career, developing connections you can use while at university and after graduating, teaching you self-discipline and how to be financially independent from your parents, allowing you to gain some maturity by working full-time and becoming financially independent, and being able to determine what exactly you want to do at university/for a career. Some cons include losing momentum/motivation to attend a university, putting off your future plans/career for an additional year, remaining "stagnant" academically, feeling "left behind" by your classmates who go straight into university, and the stigma you might experience from family/friends when they wonder why you're not going straight into university.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Gap year pros and cons? - August 14th 2012, 06:55 PM

In addition to what Robin said I'll mention this: I don't know how financial aid works in Canada, but here working for a year means that you get less money from the government because they use your tax information for the year before you apply and there's a chance you made more money in that year then you plan to make while you're in school. Having said that, I ended up with a gap year between undergrad and grad school, and even though it was an accident, it was the best thing I could've done because I wasn't ready to jump into graduate level work within 3 months. Try not to make the decision out of fear of the unknown. Change is scary, but it isn't a good reason to keep yourself from doing something that you really want to do.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: Gap year pros and cons? - August 15th 2012, 08:57 PM

I'm doing a gap year program this year instead of going right into college! For mine you take classes that prepare you for college but you are prepared MENTALLY as well. There is more support helping you feel comfortable away from home and making friends with kids in the main college (the gap year is part of a college and located on its campus). I didn't think I could start college right away because I have issues with transitioning and lots of other stuff. But overall, tons of colleges have support too. If you do choose college right away set up a support system to help you get into things on campus and feel most comfortable. Other then the expense I really don't see a negative of it. Also you don't have to work a bad farm job, most college campuses offer tons of jobs for the students so I'm sure you can get a job there.

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Re: Gap year pros and cons? - August 15th 2012, 10:50 PM

I'm working a bad farm job now, I have no other choice to save up and move out and I was planning on doing a gap year in winnipeg because it's the city closest to most of my family and it's most familiar...close to home till i get living alone all figured out...

It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.
You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Re: Gap year pros and cons? - August 15th 2012, 11:02 PM

Also would it be an okay idea to take a gap year in a bigger city I haven't been before where I don't have family, it's always an option but It's a scary one...I'm just tired of constantly being "study first" no dating or friends around much I keep telling myself its better for my grades...and also i live in a small town with nothing to do and nowhere to go unless you have money and work is an outting im so sick of this i dont want to dive straight into another 5 years of this i keep wondering when do i get to start living and have a little fun...

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Gap year pros and cons? - August 16th 2012, 07:11 PM

Where you take the year is entirely up to you, but like I said before, don't let fear stop you from doing something you really want. I know what you mean about constant work and no fun, but college is completely different from high school and college is all about balance. Unless you have problems with academics it doesn't take as much time as they make it sound and you'll have time for fun.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#8 (permalink)) Old
AmazonQueen Offline
Why so Serious?
I've been here a while

Re: Gap year pros and cons? - August 17th 2012, 02:51 AM

problem is i dont know what i want i need to go by what i need in order to not end up being on the streets not being able to afford tuition and rent and all that...there is nothing i really particularly want

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: Gap year pros and cons? - August 18th 2012, 12:22 AM

You can search for temporary jobs in a few cities your interested in. Then if one opens up you can rent for that long and you will have been able to experience the city.About tuition though, most colleges have tons of on campus jobs. Which, depending on the college but most let the kids who need the money the most get priority. I think right now you should do a lot of research. Look into the place you want to go. Look for apartments and jobs. Look into the college you want to go to. Look for colleges on campus and nearby. I think once you find somethings you will have more options rather then being so limited.

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

Closed Thread