TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
jane67 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

flunking(?) 1st term of freshman year NEED HELP - August 16th 2012, 10:11 AM

So my freshman year started just last june , I've been lucky to have been in a class full of friends but I've been flunking almost every quiz and not submitted most requirements since then.

I know I can do better than this but I've been so lazy lately. I usually get As and Bs and I've only gotten a C once but this year I might actually get an F in english.

I'm good at english , usually. But I can't stand my english teacher! I just dont get what he's trying to teach us , same goes for my Religion teacher. I've failed 7 out of 8 of english quizzes so far and the lowest I've gotten was 1/15. I never copy notes in his class because he always clicks his powerpoints so fast and I can almost never get complete notes so why bother? And on the subject of notes , I never take any. Which I guess is one of my problems? I'm remedying this by rewriting my friend's notes on my empty notebooks. The only subject I'm good at is Algebra , because thats the only subject where I dont need to take notes. Usually in Algebra I'm the first one done in seatworks and quizzes (one time we were doing a seatwork and I had finished all the equations + copied the questions and none of my classmates were done with copying the questions yet.) Putting that there because does that have anything to do with my flunking?

I have this friend who is very smart but never studies , I want to be like her but I cant. I'm burdened by these bad grades , I feel like I could do better but feel like its too late (for this semester anyway) I used to be very smart but laziness and procrastination got to me. I always feel so bad when I fail a quiz sometimes it borders on suicidal. I want to study in an artschool abroad when I get to college but feel like I cant because of my grades and laziness.

Its worse when people think I'm smart or praise me on it just because I'm good in algebra because I know I'm not , I suck in every subject that isn't math.

So basically I'm flunking my first semester because I procrastinated too much and I'm asking for tips on how to study. Specifically tips on how to study other subjects and make them feel more like math? because I really like math and if theres something to make other subjects feel like it that would be great.

Also , is it too late to turn this semester around? we're in that part where there are only 1-3 quizzes left to take and projects are being given out , no periodical tests yet , can I get tips on how to study on those too?

WHAT SHOULD I DO

(#2 (permalink)) Old
longgone Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: ,,,,,,,,

Re: flunking(?) 1st term of freshman year NEED HELP - August 16th 2012, 04:41 PM

I know exactly what you mean, last year of high school I couldn't get myself to study for any test. I believe that you should start taking notes because what got me to pass all my classes was just paying attention in class and writing down the notes helped me remember the information for the tests. If the teachers are going to fast in class with the notes than ask them to wait for you, if not go after school and ask for a print out of the PowerPoint or a chance to copy them down after class.

I wouldn't give up just yet, in my psychology class I had an F 2 weeks before grades came out but once she graded my project it got brought up to a C+, along with my class participation grade.

For the periodical test you should get the correct answers from those past quizzes and test and study from those, which could be as simple as reading over the questions a few times till you know the answer without looking at the sheet.

Almost all teachers will help you if you just tell them you are having trouble in their class and need help.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: flunking(?) 1st term of freshman year NEED HELP - August 18th 2012, 06:39 PM

My senior year I had an English teacher like yours, she went too fast and expected us to already know the stuff she had to teach us. The only people who understood what she was talking about were the 2 kids smart enough to be in the Honors class! You HAVE TO take notes, whether that means asking the teacher to slow down, asking him for a copy of the notes, or taking/making copies of your friends' notes, you won't pass or understand if you don't have the material.

I know teachers are intimidating, especially if you're not doing well in their class, but they want to help you if you need it, they don't want to fail you! The difference in high school (and college) is that if you need help YOU have to ask for it, they don't freely offer it unless you ask.

I don't think you should give up yet either, it's better late than never to turn things around, the sooner you can start taking care of things the better you'll do later, especially if there are projects coming. I don't think it's possible to turn English or religion into algebra, other than not having to take notes, what makes algebra easier for you?

As for study tips, other than making sure you have notes, look over them for a certain amount of time a night and if there's somthing you don't understand ask the teacher the next day. As said above, keep your quizzes with the correct answers and study for the tests from those in addition to your notes, and your book. Also, if you get study guides assume that not everything will be on them.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: flunking(?) 1st term of freshman year NEED HELP - August 19th 2012, 12:52 AM

Summarize the notes that your teacher puts up. You don't have to copy it word for word. Just jot down key phrases, words, definitions, etc. Then later on go back and copy someone elses notes or the teachers.. Or go online and look up those key phrases and make your own notes. The purpose of writing something down in class is because it may stick in your head with something else your teacher may have said. Kind of like a written/spoken memory combination. Writing down your friends notes can help complete your own, but just because you can read what was written doesn't mean that you'll understand it. By writing your own quick notes, you'll have a better chance of knowing what it's all about. Or go to your teacher and ask for help.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

Closed Thread