TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Math class question - August 17th 2012, 02:24 AM

So, I need to find a upper division math class to take for next semester ( I know that is a ways away but this is something I have been struggling with for quite some time) and I am uncertain what class to take.

There is a part of me that would REALLY like to take Trig but due to the fact that back in high school I passed Geometry with a B the first semester and either a B or a high C the second semester. However, it was a struggle. I am worried that I will not be able to handle Trig. Geometry is the only math class that I struggled with; I got an A in Algebra 1 and 2 ( in college and in high school as well). So one of my questions is if you struggled with Geometry would that make Trig even more difficult? The one thing about my struggle with Geometry is I think a lot of it had to do with the teacher I had. He was known for being difficult, not explaining himself well etc.

With my college course, if I decided to take Trig, there are a number of teachers I could take for this class and there is one teacher that I have experience with.

There are, of course, other math classes I could take but trig has always interested me ... math interests me ... I just don't know if trig would be a wise choice ... so I figured I would ask here and see what some of the responses were.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Prof.Engrish Offline
愛してる
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Math class question - August 17th 2012, 07:39 AM

Have you checked with your school counselor/adviser? Not too say we wouldn't be able to help, but I've always found that things such as what class to take..etc are best with School advisers as every person has their unique learning styles.

"This is 10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Concentrated Power of Will, 5% Pleasure, 15% Pain; And a 100% reason to remember the name!"
Buddy/Live Help Operator/Technology and Gaming & Current Event and Debates Forum Moderator
PM/VM
  Send a message via AIM to Prof.Engrish  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
ertyuio Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Math class question - August 17th 2012, 10:25 PM

In high school, geometry is, more or less, pure. It involves proof after proof, and to be honest, I loathed it (despite the fact that I'm going to be a math major). Trigonometry is similar in that it involves visualizing most of the concepts through geometry, but other than that, it is algebraic in nature and deals with functions and actual calculation instead of memorizing a system of noticing equal angles, sides, and so on, to prove something seemingly trivial. With a B in geometry, and an A in algebras I and II, you should be fine to go into trigonometry. Consult with your counselor if you like, but you should be fine.

Also, the internet has a vast wealth of learning resources that you can use if your teacher doesn't quite do it for you. Let me know if you need any help with that!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: Math class question - August 18th 2012, 01:13 AM

I absolutely hated geometry.. But Trig is pretty good. I had no issue with Trig, because like said above, it's less about proofs and more about actual problem solving/equation knowing. You did great in Algebra 1 & 2, so you might not have much of an issue with Trig.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

(#5 (permalink)) Old
JGeek Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Math class question - August 26th 2012, 09:18 PM

I loved both geometry and trigonometry. Both of them are fun when you get them. And I found both of them very helpful for actual problem solving. Even though geometry might look like just a theoretical or non-practical subject - it's not. There are lots of problems which can be easier solved with some geometry knowledge. Anyway, it took a lot of time for me to understand geometry, but trigonometry was much easier. So, my answer is: if you like trig - nothing would stop you from successfully learning it

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Re: Math class question - August 26th 2012, 09:59 PM

I personally hated Trigonometry at GCSE and much preferred statistics. The teacher I had was great and I passed my exams with A's but Trig took a lot of practise. I think once you have grasped the basic concepts the whole thing becomes a whole lot easier.

If you're prepared to put in the work then you should go for it!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
serendipity2014 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: just ask :).

Re: Math class question - September 5th 2012, 12:53 AM

hey
if you're interested in trig and a teacher you've had experience with is teaching it, it may be a good idea
here's a shot in the dark, but usually colleges offer an upper-div class in more algebra. it'll be called "modern algebra" or "abstract algebra", or even better "group theory".
there are pros and cons with this, i guess. taking group theory will expose you to some algebra that'll increase your maths maturity, which will make it easier to understand other areas, like trig. and you should do fine, since you've gotten As in algebra 1 and 2.
hope this helps!

Closed Thread