TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TheQuietGirl Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Abigail

How did you chose your career/path? - August 20th 2012, 06:40 PM

So I am venturing into 10th year, and I currently go to a private "College Prep. School". And they are pushing us to know our career paths ASAP.

I know I want to be a theoretical physicist. I can't explain why, but I just have this love for it. I can write about it, and I just love being able to think about that kind of stuff. I'm not narrowing my mind, it's just where I show the most promise at the present moment.

I am aiming to go to the University of Oxford in England. However, being an international student, I would have to get a pretty good scholarship to be able to go. And I know that that chance is very slim. Plus I know I wouldn't be able to make it as a soccer/football player because they don't draft like the U.S. does. But the course offers a "Physics and Philosophy" major which would be perfect.

So I'm looking at physics colleges in the U.S. where I would also be able to get into a professional soccer/football team (which has been my goal since I was, like, 4 when I started soccer training, and got stronger at 8 when I started goalie training).

Argh, I just don't know what to do. I guess just apply to an array of colleges and see what happens, yeah? I can't do much now but keep my grades perfect and keep my training schedule tight

How did you chose your career? Did you know from when you were younger what you wanted to do and where you wanted to go? Or did it just kind of happen? Did you let the colleges deside your fate like I'm giong to have to do? LOL

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: How did you chose your career/path? - August 20th 2012, 06:48 PM

Sounds like you have things figured out. Try doing research on some different colleges with your major to see which is the best fit for you. If you're very specific about what you want, it'll be easier to narrow down your search.

I chose my career path in the middle of my sophomore year. I knew I wanted to do something with psychology. I strayed away from it a couple times, but it always came back to that. I just figured that there was a reason for that and decided to stick with it. I had an idea of where I wanted to go during sophomore year, but that didn't pan out for me. I'm honestly really glad it didn't, though. I'm getting more and more psyched about the school that I'll be going to and realizing that it really is the best fit for me.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TheQuietGirl Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: How did you chose your career/path? - August 20th 2012, 06:57 PM

You sound like my one sister Yeah, I'm really glad it worked out for you, your university choice. I really hope that is how it pans out for me.. I'm basically choosing between two dreams; going to England for university and playing professionally.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Re: How did you chose your career/path? - August 20th 2012, 09:39 PM

I agree with Sammi- it's great that you've got goals!

I didn't know my career path maybe up until now. I've changed my major from Music Education, to Anthropology, to Sociology, to Human Development & Family Studies. Looking back at it, I'm seeing a pattern...they *all* involved working with and studying people.

I suppose the best way to really find a path is to find common ground. Where would you *not* want to work? Would you prefer an office, a stage, or a classroom? Those sorts of things.

BTW, theoretical physics sounds incredible, and complicated. I bet you've got the brains for it, though!

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Mitch Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mitchell

Re: How did you chose your career/path? - August 20th 2012, 11:00 PM

List as many ideas and interests and possible career paths and then work towards the one you desire or would do best at. And if you can't succeed there for whatever reason then you have plenty of other options. I wanted to do Aerospace studies but my teacher pretty much fucked my grade up so now I am going for Architecture and doing the easier maths. Even though English is the only requirement for the University courses lol.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
TheQuietGirl Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: How did you chose your career/path? - August 20th 2012, 11:53 PM

Haha, I've certainly got goals! Hopefully they aren't too impossible to achieve My coaches (before my accidents) seemed like they expected me to make it far, so hopefully I still have that going for me!

I honestly don't know specifically *where* I would like to work; I suppose a university? I heavily fancy writing papers though. This summer, after my knee (bone) surgery, I wrote a theoretical physics paper on how Distance and Time are extremely relative and shouldn't be used as a solid state of measure for the rest of the universe.

Aerospace studies.. That's the kind of thing I couldn't get into! I'm not the biggest fan of hands-on studies. I love just lectures and listening to and coming up with new ideas about the universe and all it contains. I'm not sure there is a theory/law of physics out there I haven't challenged But I most certainly can not build things!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: How did you chose your career/path? - August 21st 2012, 12:43 AM

That's awesome that you want to go into Physics. My roommate is actually majoring in physics with a minor in nuclear engineering. (It's actually funny.. she plays soccer for the university too. And not to creep on your profile or anything.. but she also loves horses. =P Weirddd)

I'm studying Electrical Engineering.. and I absolutely love it. I know almost nothing about the field of study, but I think that fact that I use it so often yet know so little about the processes of electrical systems and power. I love math and science, but I knew I didn't want to go into teaching or strictly research.. So engineering was the next choice. I wasn't sure at first, but I picked a school that I loved, and went for it. Not only do I feel satisfied with my choice to study Electrical, but I've also met intelligent people who I get along with better than friends I've known for 8+years.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

(#8 (permalink)) Old
TheQuietGirl Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: How did you chose your career/path? - August 21st 2012, 01:15 AM

Haha that's really strange! Your roommate must be pretty awesome LOL, the creeping is totally fine, I can be guilty of it at some points.

What kinds of things do you do in Electrical Engineering? This probably sounds extremely stupid, but is it like circuits and different ways to get energy from other sources or something? Or like, do you study light-bulbs Just kidding!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
ertyuio Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: How did you chose your career/path? - August 21st 2012, 05:37 AM

Good luck to you in your endeavor to land a spot in Oxford! (I might also suggest Cambridge, which is more well-known for its science and mathematics departments - to my knowledge, you can only apply to one or the other, as an international student, but to each her own.)

I also want to venture into theoretical physics (primarily quantum mechanics, quantum gravity through string theory and loop quantum gravity, and relativity), and I'm studying at MIT beginning in September. I'm just like you in that I never really understood why I love physics - it just feels right, and I couldn't imagine myself doing anything else. I realized that I wanted to go into physics in 10th grade (when I took my first physics course) and because all of the other fields bored me to death (mechanics, electricity, classical things) I decided that it would be best for me to go into the theoretical side of physics. Having written a research paper on theoretical fluid dynamics as well as having exposed myself to the environment in which other theoretical physicists thrive (Alan Guth's office & surroundings (!!!), Michio Kaku, etc.), I have no doubt in my mind about what I want to pursue as a career.

A side note: my single most important piece of advice for a budding theorist is to never forget the importance of math. Challenge yourself with it, have fun with it, but always remember that it will be your oxygen when you get to upper-level modern physics courses. Don't let a mathematical concept appear to you for the first time when you're sitting in a physics lecture. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
TheQuietGirl Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: How did you chose your career/path? - August 21st 2012, 02:27 PM

Yeah, I've been looking at Cambridge too. But the Oxford major of "Physics and Philosophy" really interests me. My physics class last year (9th grade) was this mix of philosophy and physics, and the philosophy aspect really helped when I wrote my papers.

Oh yeah, those are super interesting topics! And that's cool, I'm also looking at MIT! Garsh, yeah, my physics teacher definitely stressed how important math is in this field. I'll definitely remember to not hesitiate with questions, because that is my biggest habit. Luckily so far I've been able to figure it out, but I need to get out of that habit!

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Online
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: How did you chose your career/path? - August 21st 2012, 11:37 PM

I decided when I was about 12. I was watching a movie and this one scene stuck with me and then it kind of led to an epiphany and now I'm going to be a counselor within about years.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#12 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: How did you chose your career/path? - August 22nd 2012, 01:00 AM

It's a really vague field, Electrical Engineering. All students study the basics, circuits, math, physics.. etc. But there are so many paths to choose. Communications, wireless technology, robotics, electronics, power/energy, nanotechnology. I haven't really mapped out which direction I want to go in for my undergrad, but I'm thinking of getting my Masters in Electrophysics.. which basically deals with electromagnetism and the study of waves/optics.
It's a really challenging field, one of the hardest (depending what school you attend) but it's a pretty awesome major.

Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
TheQuietGirl Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: How did you chose your career/path? - August 22nd 2012, 07:08 PM

That does sound like an awesome field! Electromagnetism is amazing. We lightly went over that in physics last year and I found it fascinating.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: How did you chose your career/path? - August 23rd 2012, 02:39 AM

Yeah, like.. with Physics, you could literally go into almost any sciencey field.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
MaryBrown Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How did you chose your career/path? - August 24th 2012, 04:21 AM

Since my childhood I have been of leader nature..true that this leadership was for my friends gang. Later in my school and college days, my administrative quality got blatant and I thought of Civil Services. And I opted for that.
Well that has been my best decision and here I am today An IAS officer.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: How did you chose your career/path? - August 24th 2012, 10:07 PM

Personal experience. I've always been interested in nursing but seeing my family go through mental health problems and going through it myself, has inspired me to go to University to be a mental health nurse. There's nothing in this world that I feel more passionate about.

I'm glad you have goals to aim towards

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread