TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

W's on my transcript - August 26th 2012, 12:30 AM

Okay, so I have about a year and a half left at my Community College and due to that I have been looking into some colleges that I would like to transfer too.

I have a decent Cumalative G.P.A of 3.4 it would be higher but during the course of two semesters I got one F, two D's (in PE), and a C. The reason for this was because my medical issues got to be overwhelming and my motivation for the classes dwindled and I started focusing on the most important classes. But, I am not concerned about these classes because I am most likely going to make up the two D's in my PE class and I am going to make up the F as well. Once I do that I will have a better overall GPA and it will look better on my transcript because once I get a better grade I can get the previous grades for the classes waived/replaced (Sorry if this is getting confusing).

But, my main concern is NOT the bad grades because I can make that up. The biggest thing I am worried about is the Excess of W's on my transcript. All of the W's are due to medical reasons. But, not all of them were filed as such (Stupid on my part but I was focusing more on my medical issues). Anyway, I have more W's than I would like (+7) which is kind of embarrassing to admit.

My question is, what can I do to fix the W's on my transcript so that when I start applying to Four Year Universities they don't impact my acceptance too badly?

I talked to my counselor about this last semester a bit and he wasn't all that helpful. I asked him if I could go back and file a petition for extenuating circumstances for the W's that are not covered under that. He said I could do that but he didn't really say whether or not it would help and he didn't explain how I would go about doing that. I think there might be a different process involved due to the fact that the semesters are long gone; it might even be impossible to get them 'fixed' (getting a note for extenuating circumstances).

I am trying to figure out what the best course of action would be and I was hoping that some of you would have an idea?

I am going to be seeing my counselor this coming Tuesday and I am going to be asking him about this and explaining why it is such a concern: The fact that I am not just looking at colleges in my state and so out of state colleges will/might have different requirements.

I know I am rambling and I feel as though it is pretty much hopeless. Like I won't be able to make it better and therefore I'll have to settle and go to a college I do not want.

So, any ideas would be greatly appreciated and I am sorry if this is confusing.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: W's on my transcript - August 26th 2012, 12:54 AM

You can try to file for extenuating circumstances, but I have never done so and don't know how to go about it. Since the semester(s) in which you took the classes are long over I don't know if it will make much of a difference, but it's still worth trying. W's don't affect your GPA, but schools might consider them in terms of your commitment or ability to complete a program. Even if you had good reason for withdrawing, doing so 7+ times may be a red flag. Maybe put a note in your application or with your transcript (sometimes you can put notes or messages when you request them) explaining that the withdrawals were do to medical leave.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

Last edited by Kate*; August 26th 2012 at 01:24 AM.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: W's on my transcript - August 26th 2012, 01:10 AM

Like Katie said, 7+ Ws are going to be a red flag the only thing you can do is attach a note with the application stating you had medical reasons for not being able to complete the course and if need be you can prove this to them. I admit, this is going to make things difficult for you. I think you should make sure you look into online schooling as well, they tend to have less restrictions when they accept students. Not to mention, that might be better if you do have medical problems often. There is no way to remove Ws as far as I am aware. I know you can position to change grades to Ws... but what else are they going to put in place of that? They can't assign you a grade and they can't remove the class from your transcript.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: W's on my transcript - August 26th 2012, 03:39 AM

I can't do online courses because they are even more stressful than being in real class and I don't think they would do me any benefit because it would just lead to me isolating which will not help in regards to my medical issues. I guess all I can do is get the Note in my file about Extenuating circumstances and go from there. I will also talk to my counselor and see if he has any suggestions. I know you cannot make the W's disappear though. If worse comes to worse I guess I'll just transfer to a college in my state which will have less restrictions as well.

Thank you both for your responses.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: W's on my transcript - August 27th 2012, 05:28 PM

First things first - if your current counselor lets you down again, meet with another counselor (or someone working in the administrative offices who would know more about the process). As a student, you have the right to receive accurate information - your money goes toward classes AND other services, even when you're at a community college. I don't care if this counselor was assigned to you... stand outside another counselor's door until they are available, then quickly explain you're not getting the answer you need and would like to schedule an appointment with them. If that's not possible, ask if you can at least catch them for a few minutes to inquire about a very important matter. The bottom-line is that you can't afford to be complacent when it comes to receiving information about W's. This is YOUR education, not the counselor's, so YOU have to take charge and get the answers you're looking for.

The state I live in has some of the best universities in the country. That being said, there are plenty of state and private universities that would consider taking your application, despite all those W's. They may not be the best universities out there, but they would take you with a 3.4 GPA. What do you want to major in? Depending on the major, it honestly may not matter where you go - oftentimes, it's what you make of the university you're attending, vs. where the university ranks on the national charts. The university I went to for undergrad is very prestigious; however, I am the only person I know with my major that is not only employed, but actually employed in the field they studied! If you don't apply yourself (getting good grades in classes AND interning as a research assistant AND volunteering elsewhere), it doesn't matter if you go to the #1 university in the country. You could, however, go to a lower-tier university, apply yourself, and stand out to future employers/grad school admission panels.

Good luck, and feel free to keep us updated! =)

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: W's on my transcript - August 27th 2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY View Post

The state I live in has some of the best universities in the country.
Just a word of warning, while California may have some great schools, trying to get into one is next to impossible as a transfer student because of the failing economy of the state. I lived there for 11 years. I tried to transfer from Penn State and didn’t get accepted because they are “no longer accepting transfers for the foreseeable future.” You can imagine how happy I was when I got that letter! I ended up transferring to a school in Georgia. So, do not limit yourself in location, apply to schools all across the country.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Lorelei Offline
Resident Nerd
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: W's on my transcript - August 28th 2012, 02:52 AM

To be perfectly honest, there are quite a few people who get into great universities with W's on their transcript. It would depend on the policy of each campus, though. In my state, people get into top-notch public universities mostly based on their GPA and there is little attention paid to W's. I don't know as much about the policies of private universities, but I would think many of them might be more stringent on that. Like Robin said, if your current counselor isn't cutting it, see if you can speak with a different one. Give them specific transfer goals and they may be able to help you from there. Counselors sometimes need you to narrow it down for them so they know what question to answer.

If it turns out to be very important for the schools to which you are applying, definitely make a note regarding your 7+ W's on your applications. But I really wouldn't sweat it if I were you. Ultimately you will do your best to end up at the campus that is right for you. If a campus doesn't accept you because you had those medical issues early on, then the campus is probably not a good fit for you.

My main focus would be to get my GPA up, write a killer personal statement, and flesh out my application with extracurriculars.

Good luck!

"How dare I? Because it is the truth." -Jane Eyre

"You do what you love, and f#%* the rest." -Little Miss Sunshine

Closed Thread