TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
VeggieFiend Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Megan

Talking Not sure what career to choose - August 27th 2012, 10:35 PM

I'm 19, and I'm still trying to figure out what career is for me. Most people have things figured out by now!

I'm currently doing a Higher National Diploma in Interactive Media (an HND is equivalent to the first 2 years in university). It involves design which is fun, but also a lot of website creation which sucks.

For my a-levels I did a Media Production course, which was all about cameras/filming etc. At that time I was convinced Photography was for me, but now it seems like everyone is doing it, and I don't like being "a follower" of popular things (not to mention it may be hard to get started with all the competition).

I like creative things, and I would be most comfortable with "behind the scene" sorta stuff, if that makes sense.
I also want a job that has a happy environment. Recently I've considered being involved in the wedding/bridal career industry but I don't know how hard it is to get into that.

Has anyone got any advice and/or is anyone in the same position? Thanks! :3

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Not sure what career to choose - August 27th 2012, 10:48 PM

Well, first of all, I wouldn't worry about doing what's "popular" career-wise. If you enjoy doing something, then find a way to make a career out of it! Of course, that doesn't mean you can't (or shouldn't) try to find your unique niche in the field of your choosing. If everyone is doing wedding photography, and there isn't much of a demand for more photographers, then find another area of photography that interests you and has a greater demand.

The beauty of being a photographer is that you can start your own business, and therefore decide what you want to do, when you want to do it, who you want to work with, etc. You are your own boss - and if that doesn't make you happy, I don't know what will! If you're looking to go into other creative industries, then I would consider doing an internship and see if you like the environment you're in. If you enjoy the work you do and the people you work with, see if you can find a paid position with them upon graduating.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: Not sure what career to choose - August 27th 2012, 10:51 PM

I've no idea about how popular, etc. things like this are, whether you think it might be for you, and/or whether there are vacancies, but off the top of my head, I think that the BBC or another TV broadcaster could well be impressed by your resume.

The graphics, etc. have an artistic side; whether you enjoy it or not, having knowledge of website building is always good, and filming and photography are certainly deeply embedded in TV Media.

If you really don't enjoy web design, ignore this: however, there is a lot of money to be made from things like web design. Just saying.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
VeggieFiend Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Megan

Re: Not sure what career to choose - August 27th 2012, 11:04 PM

Yeah... I don't think I could do the website design stuff lol. Not really into sitting in an office or anything :P plus I'm not very good at it.

I like the idea of the wedding sector in general because it would always be a happy working environment and you'd hear so many nice stories!

I don't know what type of photography is most popular here at the moment, but there are SO many people my age walking around with a professional camera thinking they're photographers... -__-

I'd even be happy to work in a bridal store! Even considered forestry before too.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: Not sure what career to choose - August 28th 2012, 02:55 AM

Freelance photography.. paparazzi, media, concerts, films.
You like doing behind the scenes work.. think about theatre and television production companies.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Obliviate Offline
Mother of Dragons
I've been here a while

Re: Not sure what career to choose - August 28th 2012, 03:50 PM

Hey Megan!
I think that you should do some volunteer work/ work experience in a few different areas to get a feel of what each job entails. You might find something is a lot less fun than you originally thought & vice versa. Your outlook could completely change.

I don't think you should let competition put you off. If you have the experience and passion for something, you should go for it.

I think with your degree in TV production you could easily get a graduate apprenticeship with someone like the BBC or Channel 4. Remember, it's all about standing out from the crowd.

Closed Thread