TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
vrgtfvgt4vg Offline
Junior TeenHelper

I have to take Algebra 2 - September 2nd 2012, 01:14 AM

I have to take Algebra 2 this year. I took Algebra 1 in middle school and by the end I just didn't understand anything anymore and continually failed every assignment in the last quarter, despite my dad helping me and me going to the teacher's study hall every day. I failed the final and midterm too.

I took Geometry in ninth grade and I think I got a D (plus!) one quarter and C's and B'c for the other quarters. My dad helped me every night with the homework in the end. Usually it would take about three and a half to four hours a night. I remember one time I studied for like six hours and I got an 81 and that was one of my best test grades all year. This was a class that was integrated special ed so there were normal kids like me and kids in the the special education program but it was so hard. I passed the state exam at the end of the year just barely. A pass is 400 which is like a 60% and I got a 412.

In conclusion, I'm really terrible at math. I looked at rate my teacher reviews for my math teacher and they all said things like, "He can't teach, "He doesn't explain things well, "His explanations are unclear." My mom tells me she doesn't see the point in switching because I'll have trouble no matter the teacher. What am I supposed to do? This doesn't seem like it's going to go well.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Mindyy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mindy

Re: I have to take Algebra 2 - September 2nd 2012, 01:21 AM

It really does depend on the teacher. I did horrible in math every year up until now. I would read the book and even look at examples on the internet and nothing seemed to work. This year, I have a great teacher who teaches from the same book that I used last year and now I can read it and understand it. Sometimes I don't even need his help at all! I'll never be "good" at math, but I do understand it, it's not like reading hieroglyphs anymore lol. If there is a teacher who has decent reviews, I think you should switch if you can

(#3 (permalink)) Old
vrgtfvgt4vg Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I have to take Algebra 2 - September 2nd 2012, 01:37 AM

I have two classes where that's the only time they occur in the day. I'm really lucky there's no conflicts. School starts on Tuesday anyway and I don't think it will be that easy to switch and it would mess up my schedule.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: I have to take Algebra 2 - September 2nd 2012, 02:37 AM

Hey there,

If switching isn't an option, then I really would recommend studying as much as possible and even do extra examples from the book so you know what you are doing.

If you have any friends who are taking Algebra II and are relatively good at math then you can even ask them to help you out a bit. Sometimes you can learn a lot from peers!

Take LOTS of notes. If you learn a new formula, way to do something, or a new key word, write it down. You can refer to these later when doing homework.

I know it can be hard but you may also want to stay before or after school with the teacher for extra help, or during a study hall. It may not be ideal, but I know that I myself need math explained to me a few times before I understand it, and it may be easier for you to learn in a one-on-one setting.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
vrgtfvgt4vg Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I have to take Algebra 2 - September 2nd 2012, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
Hey there,

If switching isn't an option, then I really would recommend studying as much as possible and even do extra examples from the book so you know what you are doing.

If you have any friends who are taking Algebra II and are relatively good at math then you can even ask them to help you out a bit. Sometimes you can learn a lot from peers!

Take LOTS of notes. If you learn a new formula, way to do something, or a new key word, write it down. You can refer to these later when doing homework.

I know it can be hard but you may also want to stay before or after school with the teacher for extra help, or during a study hall. It may not be ideal, but I know that I myself need math explained to me a few times before I understand it, and it may be easier for you to learn in a one-on-one setting.
I know there's only so much I can do, but it takes me so long to complete an algebra question. I can never finish tests in time and I always need extra time. What am I supposed to do if the teacher won't give me extra time? Everyone's like just practice you'll get faster but I never do!

My notes never make any sense and we go so fast. Everyday we learn a new thing and I can't remember it all. In the last quarter of algebra it was factoring that got me. I still don't know how to factor.

I'm so nervous thinking about it. What am I supposed to do if everything just falls apart and I end up failing?

(#6 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: I have to take Algebra 2 - September 4th 2012, 10:13 PM

How are you with your other classes? Do you struggle with school as a whole, or is it just math? It might be a bit of a stretch, but there is a learning disorder specific to mathematics - you could excel at most of your other subjects and be normal IQ-wise, but struggle more than usual with math, regardless of how much you study. You may want to consider ruling out this possibility with a psychological professional. Also, if you've ever been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD, a change in your treatment/medication plan could help. In the meantime, I would arrange a meeting with your parents and the school principal in order to discuss your options. You may still have to take math classes in order to graduate, but perhaps those math classes could be modified slightly to meet your needs.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
serendipity2014 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: just ask :).

Re: I have to take Algebra 2 - September 5th 2012, 01:40 AM

hey
i agree with Mindyy, switching is very important considering your teacher has gotten numerous bad reviews. my guess is these reviews were most likely written by students who have learned the material and think they have better ways of explaining it. i wouldn't be surprised if they've explained it to other people in the class while group studying already. you don't know what they new teacher has to offer, they might be much better than you expect.
about what your mom said, yes, you might have trouble, but that's precisely the reason for switching. she's arguing that it isn't worth the energy and paperwork hassle(redoing your schedule) to switch. if you're really that concerned about learning the math, then maybe it's worth it. basically, switching costs you energy but you get the possibility of a teacher who can really change your situation.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Mitch Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mitchell

Re: I have to take Algebra 2 - September 5th 2012, 07:04 AM

I was in the same boat, and I refused to switch classes because I love the people in my maths class and I love my English class and I would of had to swap in English to get another teacher so instead I dropped the weekly (on Wednesday afternoon) sport to do maths tutoring with the Head of Department.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
vrgtfvgt4vg Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I have to take Algebra 2 - September 7th 2012, 02:58 AM

I really don't want to switch and mess my schedule up because it worked out so well. My mom was pretty much saying I'll have trouble in math no matter the teacher. I have trouble in math with the material and other classes with organization skills and time management. The teacher doesn't seem mean or anything. He's perfectly nice and he doesn't give excessive homework like last year.

We're reviewing algebra 1 and I'm already very lost. I don't want to be the person who has to ask the teacher how to do every question. I missed every classwork question today! I really want to do well. I told the teacher I don't understand. I'm also the only person lost in Chemistry. I can't read the notes I write! I know because everyone started working and I was the only one who had to ask the teacher for help when everyone started working.

There's Saturday tutoring at my school, my dad can help me, khan academy videos, I can go to the teacher's study hall and stay after school. I have a goal to not get anything lower than a seventy in math.

Closed Thread