TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Wildflower ♥ Offline
Soakin' up the way of life
I've been here a while

Name: A Team

Recommendation Letter-Transferring - September 6th 2012, 03:57 AM

So I am right now in the process of transferring out of community college to a State University. I have the basic information filled out, I still need to write the essay and such, and have some forms to fill out, but I also need to find people to write letters of recommendation for me. I know when you transfer out of high school to college (university), normally teachers (or professors) write the letter of recommendation for you, but I know that is also not a requirement. I have different options I can pick. I don't know how many letters of recommendation I need either (it doesn't tell me), but I think it would be a good idea to at least have 2, and one being a professor from the community college I'm at.

Some input I would like.

Do you think it would matter if I pick a teacher that I'm taking this semester if I ask them and they agree? Even if it's the first time I have this professor, as in I haven't taken a course that they taught before.

Should one of the 2 be a professor (if not both) or can they both be from other parts of my life?

I was thinking maybe my Rabbi could write one (he has known me my entire life), or my boss that I've worked with since 2007 or so.

If anyone has any other ideas of people who could write recommendation letters, also, please respond.

Send a message via AIM to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via MSN to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via Skype™ to Wildflower ♥ 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Recommendation Letter-Transferring - September 6th 2012, 05:01 AM

I needed letters of recommendation for graduate school. Most required three letters, so if possible, I would aim for a professor AND your rabbi AND your boss. If you give them some guidance (or even offer to write the letters for them), it shouldn't matter if it's two or three letters.

I think it's important to have at least one professor. After all, you ARE going into an academic setting, so it's important to have a letter of recommendation from an academic person. Your rabbi and boss should be fine for the other two letters. =)

The professor you mentioned should be fine, as long as they can include your final grade in the letter. I mean, how would it look if the professor said, "Shows a lot of passion and initiative, but I don't know how she did in the class because we're not technically done yet"?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Wildflower ♥ Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Recommendation Letter-Transferring - September 6th 2012, 05:43 PM

What about my tutor? Would she also be a good option?

I'm currently talking to a friend who transferred and he said that he got no rec letters and such and still got in, but I don't wanna risk it.

Send a message via AIM to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via MSN to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via Skype™ to Wildflower ♥ 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Recommendation Letter-Transferring - September 6th 2012, 06:47 PM

What can this tutor say about your character and/or ability to perform well in an academic setting? If the answer is "not much," then I wouldn't bother.

Definite get letters of rec, despite what your friend told you. It's better to be safe than sorry, and it'll be good experience for when you have to do this again in the future.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Recommendation Letter-Transferring - September 6th 2012, 08:07 PM

If it doesn't tell you how many you need, and it doesn't say they're necessary, one or two should be plenty. One should definitely be a professor and then your boss or your Rabbi would be fine, ask who ever you think could write you a better one first and use the other as a back up in case the other person says no (I've never had this happen), but just in case.

The number of classes you've had with a professor doesn't really matter unless the person you choose says they need to know you really well. It will help if you've had them recently or that you've kept in touch with them so that they remember who you are and can write well on your abilities. Don't pick a professor who you don't think can do this or that you don't like just because you have them this semester.

I've asked for a total of 4 recommendations and two of my professors agreed to write me letters twice (I got rejected from the first school I applied to and asked them both for a second letter for another school). Start with people who you think know you best and who you believe will say yes and then have a list of 2-3 people you can ask in case they tell you no. When you ask in the future, avoid asking certain people for multiple letters at once, the more you ask them for, the less likely they will be to agree and the poorer the letter quality will be. One other tip they gave us is when you ask say something like "Do you feel you know me well enough to write me a letter of recommendation?" not just "can you" wording it the first way gives the person an out, if they don't feel they can give you a good letter it allows them to turn you down instead of pressuring them to say yes when they might not really want to.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Wildflower ♥ Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Recommendation Letter-Transferring - September 6th 2012, 08:52 PM

I wonder if Rob writes letters of recommendation Just kidding

I just saw my boss and she said that as long as I don't need it today or tomorrow she can write one. I told her that I am not sure yet, but if she was willing to if I needed her to, and she said yes. (I definitely don't need it today or tomorrow)

My tutor I feel may be good because she has been able to see my academic capability one-on-one, especially in math, and seeing that I'm an engineering major, I feel that that may be important.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Recommendation Letter-Transferring - September 6th 2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkeinu ♥ View Post
I wonder if Rob writes letters of recommendation Just kidding
Actually, he does, and he wrote one of my three letters of recommendation for graduate school. =)

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Wildflower ♥ Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Recommendation Letter-Transferring - September 7th 2012, 02:16 AM

He does?! Did you get to read them?! Do you suggest haha...I mean I feel that someone can speak to some of my abilities that will help make me a stronger engineer and why I should be accepted to the school (and the engineering school, which is a total different application, and you can only apply once, if you aren't accepted to the engineering school, you can't become an engineer if you go to that school), which is why I feel my tutor may be a good option, because she has been able to see that I do understand this math stuff even though in the classroom I get overwhelmed

I have an email written out that I'm sending to someone over at the college with many of my questions, I sent it to my sister and she said not to send it yet because of grammar mistakes but she didn't tell me what they were, and she didn't have time to tell me, she said I would have to wait until tomorrow.

My mom isn't supportive of this really at all, so my sister is helping me a lot. Like once the essay is written, my mom will insist on reading it and editing it, which I'm cool with, but she hasn't been involved in the process much otherwise, and I really never went through the college application process, so this is my first experience with this application process.

I went to the writing center today to ask them about helping me brainstorm ideas for the essay, and they said that I need something first, and they said I should first come up with something so they can work with it, which is understandable.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Recommendation Letter-Transferring - September 10th 2012, 01:18 AM

Yes, I was able to read the letter, and it was great. =) Ultimately, you want to pick people who can talk about the traits that your university will be looking for. Since I was applying to a graduate program in clinical psychology, it made sense to receive a recommendation from a Project Coordinator at TeenHelp, an organization I had been volunteering with for 1.5 years at the time. As an engineering student, I'm not sure a recommendation from Rob would be your best option, because all he could really say is that you're a hard worker (which your professor and tutor could also attest to, AND it would be related to your field of interest).

Feel free to keep us updated on what's happening! =)

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Wildflower ♥ Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Recommendation Letter-Transferring - September 11th 2012, 10:49 PM

The person still hasn't emailed me back I'm waiting...

(#11 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Recommendation Letter-Transferring - September 11th 2012, 11:20 PM

Depending on when you sent it, they may not have had a chance to respond because their e-mails backed up over the weekend, and it's taking a while to work through everything. Can you call them to make sure they received the e-mail and ask when they anticipate they'll be able to respond?

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Recommendation Letter-Transferring - September 13th 2012, 05:56 AM

When I asked my professors for letters of recommendation, they always required my final grade being sufficiently high. I had a few classes with the same professor, so in that case, the professor was able to comment on my past marks with them and my progress in the current course. It's also best if you did a paper, essay, research experiment or some other project, so the professor can comment on that performance instead of only test marks.

I asked the professors (4 in total) to submit their letters of recommendation to various graduate schools. I gave them a MS Word document of the mailing address, department name, contacts and the application deadline, so they could send pretty much the same information all at once. Since this required a great deal of effort on their part, try to make sure you ask them far enough in advance because they may not be able to do it last minute.

Unfortunately, the application process for my graduate schools stated I couldn't read the letters beforehand, so if you are able to, then that can be great.

Try to also pick people whom know you very well, such as your rabbi. If you did any sort of work that is related to engineering, anything from using certain engineering software (i.e. MatLab), then that is something you can include as additional details.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Wildflower ♥ Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Recommendation Letter-Transferring - September 13th 2012, 07:45 PM

So my friend gave me the wrong email address, so in reality I first sent the email to who knows who, but I just resent the email...hopefully now I will get a response.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Wildflower ♥ Offline
I've been here a while

September 14th 2012, 04:05 PM

She emailed me back. Now that I have the right email address this person replies to emails so quickly

Oh and I need quotes about time and such, and things being right when the time is right and such for my transfer essay, so if you have any feel free to share

Last edited by PSY; September 15th 2012 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.
Closed Thread