TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Education and Careers (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/)
-   -   Would you go to college out of state to be with someone you love? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/t111006-would-you-go-college-out-state-someone-you-love/)

HisPrincess October 13th 2012 04:49 AM

Would you go to college out of state to be with someone you love?

Hey guys!

So I was just curious if you would go to college out of state to be close to someone you had fallen in love with. I have been thinking a lot about this today and thought it would be interesting to see other opinions. :) I'd love to hear what you guys think. Why do you choose that option? Thanks for the opinions guys! :hug:

~Angelica

Apple Orchard Ghost October 13th 2012 04:59 AM

Re: Would you go to college out of state to be with someone you love?

I'm already in college, so this is all hypothetical to me. It really would depend on what state/school though, for me, and how long I'd been in a relationship and if I honestly saw it lasting.

PSY October 13th 2012 05:00 AM

I selected "it depends on the situation," because honestly, I don't think I would be willing to do it unless we were engaged. If we weren't engaged yet, but we knew it was going to happen relatively soon, then okay, maybe I'd move. Basically, I wouldn't move for just ANYONE... I would only move for my future husband. =)

Even then, I would need to think about whether the new college could meet my needs. If there weren't any colleges that had decent programs/departments for my area of interest... then I'd be reluctant to move, regardless of whether or not we were getting married. I mean, come on... if we're going to be a family, then I need to be able to pull my weight as well!

heather_tate19 October 13th 2012 05:11 AM

If. My family had the money to send me out of state, I would go wherever I wanted to go. Depending on how far away my partner is, I think it could work out

Harley Quinn October 13th 2012 06:11 AM

Again, there are so many if's.
If you can afford it should be the first thing to look at.
If you think the relationship is going to last.
Lastly, I think it's important to see if you're sacrificing your education (eg. going to a lower college) to be closer to this person.

Good luck in whatever you decide. :)

Delicious Chaos October 13th 2012 06:42 AM

It depends on who the person is and how much I love him. If our love is heading somewhere I would. I wouldn't move for anyone I would have to be sure we have a future together. I would also see if I have enough money because out of state tuition is expensive. So I to know this relationship is going somewhere in the terms of getting married before I take a big step like this.

Validity October 13th 2012 07:23 AM

I chose yes because currently I'm thinking of going overseas to college because I'm in love with this guy. PLUS in the state over a friend of mine lives so I really want to see her to. And I"ve always wanted to get out of Australia, too much bullshit here for :p college overseas sounds fun and will give me more experiences and I want to learn how other places function. So, it has to be a bunch of things and not just him <3

Jay.

Palmolive October 13th 2012 12:10 PM

I wouldn't. I only left sixth form a few months ago when I was 18 and if I had been around that age give or take a few years an, I would never move college. If I had an education ad was going a course, I'd continue with that. I'd put my education first.

If I wasi n my 30's or 40's and I'd gone back into education (like a lot of people tend to do these days) then maybe. It would depend.

Melwirth October 13th 2012 01:38 PM

Yes if certain criteria were met and I was truly in love and the chances of us getting married were high I'd follow or hope they might follow me/ but I already go to an out of state school so thats not a problem. So I have to really agree with PSY here.

Gingerbread Latte October 13th 2012 02:49 PM

It depends.

I actually moved to university in the same city as my boyfriend was living but him being there wasn't the main reason I moved. I was already looking into universities in Scotland when I met him and he suggested his university which I looked at and the course really looked good. Then I went up to visit him and just really liked the city as well.

If I hadn't have liked the university or the city then I probably would have gone somewhere else.

LoveBites October 13th 2012 03:17 PM

I do not think I would sacrifice my education to be with someone I love, unless we were going to get married. You only get one shot at a college education and it decides your future, so if it was me, I would go to the college of MY choice. If I wanted to I could still contact my girlfriend/boyfriend over e-mail, the phone, or Video Chat.:D

escape♥ October 13th 2012 03:22 PM

Again, it would depend. I think we would have to be engaged, or been together for years and years. (like, 3+).
I really, really don't like change, so it would be hard. But knowing what it's like to be in a semi long-distance relationship, I know it really, really sucks..bad.
So, I would probably seriously consider it if we were engaged or pretty serious. :wub:
~paula

SamMarie October 13th 2012 03:38 PM

It depends what the college has to offer for my major, how long and serious the relationship is, if we could even make the time to spend together, how long I've been in college to suffice, ect. There are a lot of factors. Personally, that would be a really risky move to make. It's something that has to go hand in hand.

dr2005 October 13th 2012 06:25 PM

Man, college...that's a while ago now! XD

Anyway, I would say that unless I wanted to go to that college anyway and it offered the course I wanted to study, probably not. Sounds a bit harsh on face value, but when I went to university it was to study and my priority was getting the right course and doing it well. I was single when I went so I didn't have to worry about where my girlfriend went, but if I had been in a relationship I'm sure we would have worked something out. In an age of Facebook, Skype etc. and relatively cheap travel if you plan ahead, it's not impossible to keep a relationship going even if you're in different colleges - there were quite a few at my uni who did exactly that. It's down to each couple to work out, though. For me it would probably be fine so I vote no, but I can understand why for some it would be a factor.

Ennui. October 13th 2012 10:30 PM

For me it depends. If I knew that the relationship was going to last, such as if we were engaged, I would MAYBE. It also depends on how far away, because I have always wanted to stay in my state or if not, at least very close. It also also depends on whether or not the universities around there had programs that would fit my needs. All in all, I'd probably not though unless I was positive I was doing the right thing. I'm sure I'd be able to make an LDR work if I was dedicated enough.

MermaidMassacre October 14th 2012 12:17 AM

If you are able to (financially,etc) and they offer programs at the college that you are truly interested in. I see no issue with it. If you are going on a whim to some college that you deep down have no interest in simply to be with your significant other than I would advise against it. Because something could happen where you break up and then you have deal with transferring colleges etc.

Eternal October 14th 2012 07:08 AM

Hate to be another that says it depends, but it does.
For the most part, I probably would not. If things were good between us then as hard as it can be, we would be able to make the long distance work. Besides, we could probably visit each other during holidays. I wouldn't want to go to a different school that may not have as good of programs for what I want to major in, and so I'd hate to limit myself over a relationship.
However if we were engaged or I was pregnant or something along those lines, then yes, I would go to college out of state.

DeletedAccount71 October 15th 2012 05:48 PM

I believe in going to school in the place that feels right for me. If my significant other wanted to go there, too, that's great. But I would never choose a school solely to be with someone. However, if myself and a partner decided to move close to one another and they were in another state, I might attend college there on my own. I'd still have to like the school, though.

Koharuchan October 15th 2012 08:31 PM

It really depends on the situation. For me, the big reason it would have to be a no is that for most of my life, I have dreamed of one thing: art college. I already have to go out of state for that to happen, so the situation here would be reversed.