TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PlayingPretend Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Elliotte

Ever Switched Career Paths at the Halfway Point? - December 19th 2012, 07:11 AM

Hi,

I'm graduating in March with a BA in Psychology and I'm actually considering taking a completely different career bath than I ever expected I would this late in the game. I was wondering if anyone else has been through this and if I could perhaps pick their brain on how they handled it and spoke to their family about it, especially if a family member put them through the undergraduate degree in the first place?

Thanks,
Elliotte

If you feel you'd like additional support or to speak further with me, you can contact me through my personal Tumblr, Love Like An Hourglass (click), or PM me through TH.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: Ever Switched Career Paths at the Halfway Point? - December 19th 2012, 10:37 AM

Yes. I was barely finished getting my AS in digital photography.

I found out the degree was pretty much useless and I decided to study part time for my new career path.

I am studying and hoping to get my bachelor's in criminal justice right now. want to either be a crime scene investigator or police records clerk.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
madalina Offline
Socially awkward member
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Ever Switched Career Paths at the Halfway Point? - December 27th 2012, 11:58 AM

I wanted to, but I couldn't. I still can't. Just like in your case, my parents are paying for my education and they think that since they're paying, they get to choose what I study (can't argue there, wish I had my own money, but the pay I was getting when I was 18 was too low to matter).

I'm in my final year of University and 4 months away from my BA degree in translations and interpreting.

I HATE it.

I have hated it from day one. A translator's life isn't glamorous, nor fun. You sit in a room, alone for most of the day (because you're self-employed; 90% of translators are), with only dictionaries and glossaries around you and you translate. A lot. If you want to make decent money, you translate the really boring or over the top complex things, like legal paperwork or user manuals for things you've never even seen.

I have begged and pleaded with my parents to not make me go through with this, but to no avail. This field didn't grow on me, my hate only grew bigger.

If you're sure you want a new career, make a pro and cons list, think it through and go to your parents with it, if you need them to help with the payments or work and save your own money and do it (not sure how expensive things are there; over here, it's insane compared to regular salaries).

Take it from me, do not stay in a field you no longer like. You're not making anyone proud or happy, you're just making yourself miserable.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Ever Switched Career Paths at the Halfway Point? - December 27th 2012, 06:45 PM

I did that, I started in history, did a year there and hated it and then I switched to doing another degree, which I am happy to tell you about in a PM but it's a not-so-common double major and I like to try to keep certain aspects about who I am semi-private incase other people I know use this site, but it includes sociology and I choose that because I enjoyed aspects of it and knew I could use it as a segway into my actual career path. I always intended to hold more than one post secondary degree any how. I initially wanted a bachelor of science in biology or zoology which would take me to vet school but I changed my mind, subject like calculus or physics where subjects I understood but were ones I struggled with the most, I was even challenged by some aspects of chemistry, I could force myself to learn it but I can't pick up on fast enough to get the grades I'd know I needed to be a vet and I knew as long as I did SOMETHING that empowered others I'd be happy... So I ended up deciding I wanted to do social work--like working with at-risk youth or doing counselling, rehab work specifically aimed at young people--so I want to get an MSW... But like you guys my parents fund my education and initially I was so worried about this decision making business. I was worried my mom would get angry when I'd have to tell her my undergrad was going to be taking a year longer than 4 years. Or that I wanted to quit school after my first year (which I never ended up doing) or after my second year to go to college (which, again, I never ended up doing), this is a detail that never really irked her because I think she had me figured out enough to know I'd never actually quit school so she'd just be like "ok, go ahead" knowing that was a supposed decision I'd never follow through with, and even if I did I was still doing SOMETHING that'd get me a post secondary education. My parents have always been super supportive of what ever I want to do with my career--if I wanted to be a police officer which officially you don't even need a degree for they'd be like hurray for you because I can specialize by using my education... My parents see the advantage in having a degree no matter what you end up doing. But I mean, my degree going into social work isn't THAT massive of a change. Most degrees are pretty open ended and can be taken into completely unrelated places. You should just tell your parents. Offer to take time off to save money up to pay for what ever it is that you're trying to do if you think that'll ease them in. But that's maybe easier said than done, my parents wouldn't care if I announced I wanted to actually be a veterinary technician haha (for which holding a university degree for is not at all necessary). They've always told me they just want me to have an education and they want me to get the education that'll get me there. As long as I get done by the time I am 30 haha... What are you changing into if you don't mind my asking?

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PlayingPretend Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Ever Switched Career Paths at the Halfway Point? - December 27th 2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble bee View Post
I did that, I started in history, did a year there and hated it and then I switched to doing another degree, which I am happy to tell you about in a PM but it's a not-so-common double major and I like to try to keep certain aspects about who I am semi-private incase other people I know use this site, but it includes sociology and I choose that because I enjoyed aspects of it and knew I could use it as a segway into my actual career path. I always intended to hold more than one post secondary degree any how. I initially wanted a bachelor of science in biology or zoology which would take me to vet school but I changed my mind, subject like calculus or physics where subjects I understood but were ones I struggled with the most, I was even challenged by some aspects of chemistry, I could force myself to learn it but I can't pick up on fast enough to get the grades I'd know I needed to be a vet and I knew as long as I did SOMETHING that empowered others I'd be happy... So I ended up deciding I wanted to do social work--like working with at-risk youth or doing counselling, rehab work specifically aimed at young people--so I want to get an MSW... But like you guys my parents fund my education and initially I was so worried about this decision making business. I was worried my mom would get angry when I'd have to tell her my undergrad was going to be taking a year longer than 4 years. Or that I wanted to quit school after my first year (which I never ended up doing) or after my second year to go to college (which, again, I never ended up doing), this is a detail that never really irked her because I think she had me figured out enough to know I'd never actually quit school so she'd just be like "ok, go ahead" knowing that was a supposed decision I'd never follow through with, and even if I did I was still doing SOMETHING that'd get me a post secondary education. My parents have always been super supportive of what ever I want to do with my career--if I wanted to be a police officer which officially you don't even need a degree for they'd be like hurray for you because I can specialize by using my education... My parents see the advantage in having a degree no matter what you end up doing. But I mean, my degree going into social work isn't THAT massive of a change. Most degrees are pretty open ended and can be taken into completely unrelated places. You should just tell your parents. Offer to take time off to save money up to pay for what ever it is that you're trying to do if you think that'll ease them in. But that's maybe easier said than done, my parents wouldn't care if I announced I wanted to actually be a veterinary technician haha (for which holding a university degree for is not at all necessary). They've always told me they just want me to have an education and they want me to get the education that'll get me there. As long as I get done by the time I am 30 haha... What are you changing into if you don't mind my asking?
Haha. I'm your exact opposite. I'm a psych major (graduating in March) who wants to take a couple years to catch up on her pre-reqs so that she can apply to veterinary school. I'll have competitive experience, hopefully a competitive GRE score, and a competitive science GPA, even if I won't have a degree in science, but I read that a handful of people get accepted with BA/BSs in the social sciences every year, so I'm confident with competitive experience, test scores, and grades, I can accomplish it, even if I don't get into school in state (worst case scenario I go abroad for my program, where everything is a bit less competitive).

If you feel you'd like additional support or to speak further with me, you can contact me through my personal Tumblr, Love Like An Hourglass (click), or PM me through TH.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Ever Switched Career Paths at the Halfway Point? - December 28th 2012, 12:13 AM

Yeah, just take a year or 2 to pick up a few of the science classes you'd need and find schools that'll take you with X science classes (like I know someone who got into medical school with a minor in biology) so just choose a biology minor or zoology minor or look up specific schools and see what they require cause not all of them require an entire degree dedicated to biology or zoology or chemistry or what ever the hell else. Plus if you are going to school part time to get a minor you can spend a little time working since experience in the field would go a long way too, like get a job assisting in a vets office or something.... But psychology to veterinary school isn't that far fetched... It would be a little "crazier" sounding to go psychology to interior design or photography or I dunno fighting forest fires. I think if you present it to them like you are going to go to school part time for a year or so to pick up a few more credits and that you'll be working thus in a position to save up some money, maybe not lots but then that way at least it'll look like you've thought it through instead of just being like "HEY GUESS WHAT?!" here is the idea I've come up with on a whim

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#7 (permalink)) Old
PlayingPretend Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Ever Switched Career Paths at the Halfway Point? - December 28th 2012, 05:40 PM

Yeah, I've already spoken to advisors and they've mostly said just do the pre-requisites which I can do at community college and by way of extension courses and then apply. I will hopefully be shadowing a vet (with the intention for it to eventually turn into a volunteer position/opportunity) and I'll be working with research psychologists and veterinarians studying horses come the spring, on top of volunteering at the animal shelter, so I will be getting hours in along with work, at least between March and August, when I sign up to take some classes. I may need to drop some volunteer work to continue with paid work, but I'll work that out when it comes to it.

Closed Thread