TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Anyone here a psych major? - March 12th 2013, 11:59 PM

I'm having some troubles in my psych 100 class and currently have a 2.4. Its not that the subject is hard, but that this quarter is just sucking for me. I am seriously concerned about colleges excepting me into there psychology program, because I am told that they look at psych 100 and two other psych classes and compare them to all the other applicants grades. I am really afraid that this grade will really stunt my chances of being chosen. I plan on going to Western Washington University and I'll be transferring in from a community college. I really would like to become clinical psychologist or do research on learning and perhaps help out our education system or help kids who are falling through the cracks in school. Ugh. This is seriously stressing me out.

http://strigidaeofchrono.deviantart.com/
"Setting boundaries is not a more sophisticated way of manipulation - although some people will say they are setting boundaries, when in fact they are attempting to manipulate. The difference between setting a boundary in a healthy way and manipulating is: when we set a boundary we let go of the outcome."

You shut your mouth
How can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am Human and I need to be loved
Just like everybody else does

Colonel Meow

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Anyone here a psych major? - March 14th 2013, 01:10 AM

Hey there! I was a psychology major in undergrad, and I will be wrapping up my masters in clinical psychology in several weeks. One thing I want to emphasize is that critical thinking is HUGE in the field of psychology. If you want to succeed, you need to be able to figure out where you're going wrong and find a solution. If there's one particular subject in your class that you're struggling with, review the material, get a tutor, talk to the professor/TA, etc.

If your academic struggles are more general (ex. you "zone out" during lectures or have difficulty managing your time while studying), you may want to see someone at your university's psych services office and receive an evaluation (to rule out things that could impact your ability to learn, ex. ADHD or a learning disorder) and focus on improving areas of weakness (ex. getting a large desk calendar so you can keep track of when readings/assignments need to be completed).

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Anyone here a psych major? - March 15th 2013, 07:35 AM

One of my majors is Psychology. If your passion is clinical (which good luck to you!), you can find a way even if you either need to retake this class or study up so that you can be able to succeed in the higher level Psychology classes. Transitioning into college is tough, and Psychology 101 is often a very tough class for the first semester. Although it doesn't have homework as math does, it does involve continuous practice and studying in order to understand.

First, as Robin said, I'd suggest getting a tutor. This tutor may really not be necessary for you learning the material in the long-term. However, scheduling a tutor may help you make yourself sit down and have study time with somebody to help. If tutoring is not free at your school and you cannot afford it, another great idea is to get a study group together from your Psychology 101 class. Try to find a friend or classmate that you know is doing well in the class. I tutored some of my friends in Social Psychology along with looking over their papers, it helps out their grades to help you out, so most friends don't mind! Last, at worst case, email the professor and let them know you're having trouble. They may be able to schedule you time in their office hours for both help with the material along with giving you time to ask if there's any additional work you can complete to help your grade.

Good luck!

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Anyone here a psych major? - March 15th 2013, 04:58 PM

Hey, I'm going to Western Washington University next year!
While it is a great university, it isn't terribly hard to get accepted in. So for now, work on trying to improve your grade up until the end of the year. I understand how it can be tough to maintain good grades when you have a lot going on, so try and set some time aside each day to study. Because you want to major in psychology (like me!), it should be a pretty interesting subject to you. So try and make learning it fun, rather than feeling stressed to pass your tests. Finding ways to apply what you've learned in the real world has also helped to motivate me to work hard in psychology 101 this year as well.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Anyone here a psych major? - March 18th 2013, 02:34 PM

I'm a psych major. It depends on the school that you are going to. Some schools require a certain grade or higher, or you will have to retake the course. You will have to ask what the school policy is to know if you will have to retake it.

But, remember, psych 100 is the fountain for your major. The information you learn in that course will be used for the rest of your time in university. If you are not excelling in this course, I highly recommend a tutor. You will be expected to know all of this information in many courses to come and you will be expected to know it well and off the top of your head. So, even if this course gets transferred over and you don't have to retake it, I highly recommend that you learn this information backward and forward, so you that you can thrive in your upper courses.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

Closed Thread