TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives    The Holiday Resource

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
i love you...<3
Average Joe

Question Stuck between two majors... - April 2nd 2013, 07:01 AM

Well, I know that I want to do something in teaching. The problem is I dont know which pair of major and minor I want to do. It's between majoring in English Education and minoring in Health Education... or Majoring in Health Education and minoring in Physical Education. Here are the pros and cons for both. Pros for the first one: I love reading and writing and I've been told I'm a pretty good writer myself. Cons: I do want to teach health, but mostly you get to teach your major. I am also not the best speller, which would be a problem for being an english teacher. Pros for the second one: I really, really want to teach students about their health. My mom over dosed and died from drugs/alcohol and I am really passionate about helping people not make the same mistakes she did. Cons: to minor in P.E. I have to take A LOT more sciences classes than I would have to with any other major... I am HORRIBLE at and HATE science so it would make college a lot harder. I'm going to be a sophomore next year.. so I really need to make this decision before I take pointless classes. Thanks!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Re: Stuck between two majors... - April 2nd 2013, 03:41 PM

Hey there
The first things that come to mind for me is the job stability behind those particular concentrations. Bad of me? Perhaps. I suppose it's just the way I was wired...

I know at least where I live, PE jobs are being cut, as are music and art jobs. It sounds like you don't like the focus of science anyway.

English teacher- can you read the same book a dozen times over? And discuss it for several years? What about reading essays all night? Just some things that come to mind.

Honestly I think being a health ed teacher sounds good for you. Perhaps having that with a minor unrelated to education. For example, we have a major/minor at my school called "Allied Health" which prepares you to be an assistant in the medical/health field. Again, a lot of it is science, but it would be much more relevant to health teacher education (think about it this way, I LOVE when my classes overlap material because it makes learning so much easier). And, this way, you have something to fall back on, just in case you're unable to find a health teacher job. But this sounds like this is where your interests lie.

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Stuck between two majors... - April 2nd 2013, 05:25 PM

The first question I want to ask is how badly do you want to teach P.E.? Is teaching health worth taking classes for a PE teacher? Most of the teachers I had were primarily gym teachers and only taught health part of the year or we had like one class on it. My guess is, even if you minor in PE you'll still end up teaching mostly gym with a little health thrown in.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#4 (permalink)) Old
i love you...<3
Average Joe

Re: Stuck between two majors... - April 2nd 2013, 08:21 PM

I talked to someone in my sorority, and she said that if you major in health you basically have to minor in P.E. because there aren't really any health teachers that are also teaching something else. And at my high school there was only one health teacher who also taught P.E., the other health teachers only taught health. I am not opposed to teaching P.E., but my main focus is that I really want to teach Health, and an English minor doesn't go with that at all.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
i love you...<3
Average Joe

Re: Stuck between two majors... - April 2nd 2013, 08:21 PM

Oh, I also care more about being happy with my job than being successful.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: Stuck between two majors... - April 3rd 2013, 05:58 PM

Honestly, if you don't like the idea of lots of science classes then it doesn't sound like PE's a great idea. I wanted to go into environmental sciences (my path has changed now but that's irrelevant) so I took maths, and I am seriously regretting it because I'm awful at maths, and I've actually decided to do English instead now. Just throwing that out there.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
i love you...<3
Average Joe

Re: Stuck between two majors... - April 4th 2013, 07:43 PM

There is really only two real sciences that I have to take for P.E.

Closed Thread