TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CrystalJade Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Angry I don't know what to do anymore with this job. In desperate need of help! - April 19th 2013, 06:40 AM

So, I work in a high end retail company and I've been there for 6 months. There's so many things that I'm sick of though.

From at about 2-3 months in the managers (even my main manager) gave hints and literally told me that if I got my stats up then I'd be a shoo in for a management position when one opened up. Well, one opened up and I applied to find out I probably won't get it. I got my stats up and I was told by my main manager that she's worried about my communication and then later on she told me the real reason. It's because she's worried about her first assistant being too rough on me and making me quit.

I had a family emergency and the first assistant was standing in place of my main manager who was on break and I was told it didn't matter what was happening and that since my stand-in wasn't good enough I HAD to come in.

I have had nothing but problems with the first assistant since day one and I've went and communicated what has happened to my managers and worked to get it fixed. That shows that my communication isn't an issue! We can't even have the first assistant at the register because she steals our sells. Then they are always having me watch the store ALONE while they have their meetings. I also had a POV (point of view, setting up displays) by myself.

They are so shallow. I've been told that I need to get a tan by my main manager, that I either needed a bigger shirt or smaller boobs, needed to dress up more, have more jewelry, and better hair. I dress up as nicely as I can and buy what I can and still survive.

They can do all that but won't make me a manager? I'm sick of the stress and b.s. Suggestions?

Thanks.

Edit: Also, when I get a second job they work me as much as they can legally but once I quit because it was too much they cut my hours by over half and I struggle to make it! My main manager told me once that she was happy I got fired from one of my jobs (because of an issue with working for them) because she felt like she was losing me. What the actual f***!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
EdwardM Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Edward

Re: I don't know what to do anymore with this job. In desperate need of help! - April 20th 2013, 06:39 AM

Sounds like you need to get out of there. You haven't described what you do, i.e., your job title. I ask because I find it quite strange that you were asked to get a tan. Unless your job requires it, that counts as workplace harassment.

I would like to give you some advice. When you are told that you might get a promotion, regardless of how sure the deal sounds, you do not buy into it. Employees are "guaranteed" advancement opportunities by their superiors quite often. I have seen some crazy stuff happen in my 8 years of professional service. Unless your company has policies that prohibit employees from making false promises and such, there is not much you can do about it.

Start hunting for a new job.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
CrystalJade Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I don't know what to do anymore with this job. In desperate need of help! - April 20th 2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardM View Post
Sounds like you need to get out of there. You haven't described what you do, i.e., your job title. I ask because I find it quite strange that you were asked to get a tan. Unless your job requires it, that counts as workplace harassment.

I would like to give you some advice. When you are told that you might get a promotion, regardless of how sure the deal sounds, you do not buy into it. Employees are "guaranteed" advancement opportunities by their superiors quite often. I have seen some crazy stuff happen in my 8 years of professional service. Unless your company has policies that prohibit employees from making false promises and such, there is not much you can do about it.

Start hunting for a new job.
I'm a sales associate at a high end women's clothing store. Today I was told that I needed to learn how to do my hair. I can't do a flipping pony because it's not "trendy" and apparently my "messy bun" looked too much like a pony so I got chewed out for that. Then my main boss takes me in the back and gives me a review of my performance and tells me that she failed me on professionalism, I am the most professional there! She also told me her first assistant overheard me talking to one of my co-workers about an issue I had a rough time dealing with and her first assistant told her that she set me straight when she found out. That's not true, she wanted to know what happened so I told her and she told me an issue she has to relate. I told my main manager this and she said "that's not what she told me at all".

I am currently looking for a new job. I'm so sick of it. I don't even want to go to work tomorrow but I know I HAVE to...

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.

I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: I don't know what to do anymore with this job. In desperate need of help! - April 20th 2013, 01:08 PM

You're doing the right thing by trying to find a new job - what you're having to put up with is not good at all.

Until you get a different job, though, just try to struggle through with this one. Keep up your high standards and keep doing what you know is right (whatever your manager might decide, however unfairly), and do give the best service you can to customers, then you can leave once you can find something else .

Join the Skittlify revolution! We have cookies (sort of).
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
CrystalJade Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I don't know what to do anymore with this job. In desperate need of help! - April 24th 2013, 10:13 AM

I'm even more upset now because of what I found out a few days ago. I was supposed to be modeling some of our clothes at a special event and I just saw that I wasn't put down for it. I was specifically asked by my store manager to do it and I was so excited, it was embarrassing how I reacted with excitement to the opportunity. I'm kind of crushed now. I've wanted to do modeling since I was a child and this was my first step at it. They are cruel people... They keep offering me these things and basically giving me cookies they never intended to bake. I'm finding it difficult to give my customers 100% and I feel depressed. I'm sad that I'm leaving this company that I adored when I was just a customer there, I'm upset about not going to see certain co-workers again, that I most likely won't ever shop there again because of everything, I'm depressed and tired of being belittled and torn down, and I'm sick of the opportunities that will never be.

Who can tear someone down in every way they know how and feel right with themselves? I don't understand...

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Live Help Operator

I've been here a while

Name: Christina

Re: I don't know what to do anymore with this job. In desperate need of help! - April 24th 2013, 05:10 PM

This sounds horrible. Is there anyone above your manager? I ask because if this is a high-end clothing store and if this is a chain of companies, you may find that there is a person that your main manager has to report to. If you can get this information you could report them for what they are doing to you.
No one deserves this.
It is really great you are looking for a new job.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
CrystalJade Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I don't know what to do anymore with this job. In desperate need of help! - April 24th 2013, 09:44 PM

There is but she knew about the stuff going on before and didn't do anything. She and I had a meeting where I told her everything and she didn't say anything. She talks with them both on a regular occurrence and she asked me what would be the most likely thing to make me quit and I told her the 1st assistant.

This company pretends to care but in reality none of them care at all. I don't even know why the 1st assistant targets me so much or even why they keep tearing me down...

(#8 (permalink)) Old
CrystalJade Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I don't know what to do anymore with this job. In desperate need of help! - May 2nd 2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann2012 View Post
There is but she knew about the stuff going on before and didn't do anything. She and I had a meeting where I told her everything and she didn't say anything. She talks with them both on a regular occurrence and she asked me what would be the most likely thing to make me quit and I told her the 1st assistant.

This company pretends to care but in reality none of them care at all. I don't even know why the 1st assistant targets me so much or even why they keep tearing me down...

Here's a quick update! I found a new job and possibly another one. The one I've accepted so far is a sales position at Dillards and it pays so much better. The second is a management position that I'm waiting to hear back from. I'm hoping to get the management one so I can drop the sales position. I can finally give my two weeks!!! I'm just so nervous about it.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Robin

Re: I don't know what to do anymore with this job. In desperate need of help! - May 2nd 2013, 10:48 PM

Congrats on finding a new job (possibly two new jobs)! Technically, you don't have to give your current employer any explanation whatsoever. You can just give your two weeks' notice (verbal AND written might not be a bad idea) and go about your regular business. If she pushes you for an answer, give any response you want (well, not ANY response - I'd maintain some sense of professionalism), whether it's, "The reason is personal," or, "I'm working elsewhere."

(#10 (permalink)) Old
CrystalJade Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: I don't know what to do anymore with this job. In desperate need of help! - May 3rd 2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY View Post
Congrats on finding a new job (possibly two new jobs)! Technically, you don't have to give your current employer any explanation whatsoever. You can just give your two weeks' notice (verbal AND written might not be a bad idea) and go about your regular business. If she pushes you for an answer, give any response you want (well, not ANY response - I'd maintain some sense of professionalism), whether it's, "The reason is personal," or, "I'm working elsewhere."

One of my coworkers on FB saw it and told my boss before I could. She understood completely and would have offered to match my new pay but couldn't because it was so much more. She said it's a better deal so she is completely okay. They did have to know though because both are retail and I can't work with competition on either of them so I may not get to serve my two weeks. That'll screw me over for rent and bills if they won't let me.

Closed Thread