TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

SO SO SO sick of applying for jobs - June 4th 2013, 05:47 PM

Title says it all, i've applied to about 30 places in the last month, a few of the places weren't hiring at the moment and I left my resume any how just in case someone quit or what ever but with no high hopes of hearing from them any time soon so really that shortens my list at least a bit... But I've already found out that about 10 places have hired (all which were hiring when I dropped my resume off or very shortly afterwards, like within the last 3-4 weeks) and I never heard from them. It's just honestly kind of embarrassing for me because it's not as if I am not qualified to work in retail or in a restaurant, I'm not even asking for a supervisor or management (or assistant management) position, I just want any amount of hours for minimum wage. About 90% of the jobs I applied for are retail and restaurant. I don't know why I find it embarrassing but i guess it just makes me feel like a failure that I can't manage to even snag the easiest of jobs.
Now, it's not like i'm running off some naive delusion. I live in a smaller city with 3 post secondary institutions (a lot given the size) and you get all the local students looking for jobs and hundreds of students like myself who chose not to return to our hometowns needing jobs PLUS since exams ended in April all the students who go to school elsewhere are back (and unlike me they need the summer jobs since they won't be sticking around whereas I can take a part time long term job). So it's not like I am not aware of the fact that there are a lot of people who have similar qualifications to myself all competing for the same level/type of jobs. It's not like I am applying for jobs out of my reach after all..... It's just frustrating because I KNOW that's a factor but I have no way of knowing what it is about my resume that is causing people to pass me up either and I can't be calling place after place and asking, most retail places have so many resumes it might not even be what I did "wrong" per se but more like someone else just might have more retail/restaurant experience where as I have only 2-3 in that area as opposed to about a dozen different positions over the last few years in social related experiences (but social work/justice styled jobs for students are very VERY limited for students who only want part time work)
I know I'll get something eventually. But I am bored and I REALLY need the money. So I am wondering what y'all do when you guys are having trouble getting a job? Should i take a few versions of a resume to a career centre or what? (even though I've been to those places a few times before and I use the stuff there to keep tweaking my resume SOOO technically that's not going to get me anywhere cause they won't do anything they haven't already done in my experience) (I'm going to start picking up more volunteering stuff so that should help at least occupy my time but other then that...)

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Last edited by Always *; June 5th 2013 at 03:04 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: SO SO SO sick of applying for jobs - June 5th 2013, 06:09 PM

In addition to volunteering with non-profit organizations, I've used my free time (whenever I have it) to work on an area of my life that I've been neglecting. For example, since I'll have a few weeks off before beginning my new internship, I've begun to exercise more regularly. Yesterday, I checked out a yoga video for beginners. Before that, I hiked along a new trail near my apartment. I didn't really have time to exercise when I was in grad school, working part-time and seeing several clients. Now that I have the time, I'm focusing on developing better habits, so that I can maintain them more effectively once I start my internship. If you're good in the exercise department, perhaps you could test new recipes, or get started on a hobby you've been wanting to try out. Perhaps there are a few books you've been meaning to read. Also, if you're still interested in volunteering for TeenHelp, we're looking for regular and associate staff members! =D

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: SO SO SO sick of applying for jobs - June 6th 2013, 04:49 PM

I've been doing all that stuff, like I said i like to be busy.... So I have been reading, running, biking and taking self defense classes. I cook a lot. I always cook and work out because I like to be healthy. I am also spending a lot of time learning more about social agencies (ex. NGOs and other humanitarian organizations and Canadian/American youth protection and rape/sexual assault paces etc and animal and environmental protection places etc etc). I am also working on figuring out how to live better (better for the world and myself). My "I am bored" project is to get my ass into gear and start learning French better (I might make like 10-20 flash cards later today for example )... I am making progress (finally got an interview) so hopefully i get lucky but I HATE being bored and it means I will take on an insane amount of crap just to keep myself amused

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: SO SO SO sick of applying for jobs - June 16th 2013, 09:59 AM

I usually redo my resume entirely and then have people look it over. I usually ask two friends, a parent, and two other middle-age people like instructors. That way I get a range of people.

Also, take a minute and think if you could have stepped on any toes when you quit your job. If you did, reconsider putting them down.

Next, look at your references. How recent are they? Do you still chat with them? Will they give you a good reference?

I know for retail I included personality traits like happy personality and loves working with people. I truly am happy 90% of the time so that's true.

Then consider using people you know that work at the places. About 30% of people get hired this way from what I see. At least in retail and in the hospital I work at. If you know someone, use them if they consent.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: SO SO SO sick of applying for jobs - June 16th 2013, 01:59 PM

Trust me, my references are solid and recent, my quitting my last job was for a legitimate reason and I even stayed a little longer to give my boss time to replace me so the fact she didn't want me to quit frankly isn't my damn problem and she's not usually someone i'd even use because I have better and more recent references from positions where I actually learned more valuable stuff then how perform some mundane mindless job... All I am doing is touching up my resumes, but even there I can only do so much... So when I say I haven't done anything legitimately wrong I 100% mean it...

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: SO SO SO sick of applying for jobs - June 16th 2013, 07:19 PM

I believe you. It is hard to get a job. In HR, they filter through so many job applications that in my job they basically scan it and then either file it or pass it along. The ones filed usually end up in a loop.

In my 2nd to last position, I was denied for the same job but then my other resume was passed along for the same job but different job number. Messed up, eh?

Also, internal references are key sometimes. It's horrible to say, but a name that they may recognize goes longer than stellar references who may just be drinking buddies. Some of the people I work with have families that work in the same department.

Closed Thread