TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Possibly getting a job? - June 14th 2013, 05:53 PM

Okay guys, my teacher came to me yesterday and said there would be a job opportunity that would be fitting for me in a company not too far away from the school.

I am considering going for the interview,

I need tips for the interview. What should I say and do, and how would I work around that whole "Tell me a bit about yourself" question? Is there anything I can do even after the interview that will make me better suited? What type of format should my resume follow?

Also, I'd probably only be available three days a week, is this something you think they'd be able to work with? How can I balance work with everything else going on?

Also also, I was considering going inpatient for treatment over the summer, but the job would start over the summer. Would I be able to do both?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: Possibly getting a job? - June 15th 2013, 08:15 PM

When I was at my job interview eons ago I basically just told them about my schooling, previous "jobs" I had, what things I was good at that tied in with the job, etc.

As for resume I just used a template haha.

They should be able to work around that unless they're specifically looking for someone with more availability. As for balancing everything, you'll figure it out or if it becomes too much just make adjustments somehow.

As for working around if you decide to go into impatient, it'll probably depend on how long you'd have to spend there and such. Just a suggestion but if you're really considering going into impatient maybe do that and get it out of the way then go after looking for a job. Anyway this is my 2 cents on this..probably not very helpful but I try. Good luck in this!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Possibly getting a job? - June 16th 2013, 09:54 AM

What type of field are you looking at? I would look at a mixture of personality traits. You like working with people and on a team. You set goals and work towards them. Write down a list and justify the traits you pick.

I would also pick out a few key difficult situations like working with difficult people or on a team.

I would look at different ones online and pick a resume style that works for you. However, do not pick one that looks "too fancy." Technically resumes used to be printed on fancier paper than what traditional printer paper is but I don't think people do that as often. Most resumes are electronic.

Make sure you dress appropriately and make sure you have zero wardrobe malfunctions. If you haven't worn your interview clothes in the past three months, try them on or go buy some new ones. Make sure they fit and you can easily move around like pick up a pencil, tie your shoes, reach for a tall object, and sit down. Make sure you have decent shoes.

As for doing both, it depends when both start. Inpatient treatment can be tricky because there's no set time length. However, I know the insurance companies try to get the centers to switch people to outpatient treatment asap. If it starts before the treatment, then I do not think so. If it starts a month after, then it is possible but that depends on how well you progress. It has to be your decision, but will it be too stressful and cause you anxiety if you try to do both?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Possibly getting a job? - June 16th 2013, 07:05 PM

I'd basically be doing data entry, Excel, and some filing, so I guess things centered towards that? Whatever those would be.

The resume I can do and then have my teacher look over I guess, and maybe I can talk to her about the inpatient thing too?

As for the interview clothes, I have a pair of black dress paints and some shoes I can wear, but I still have to buy a shirt.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Re: Possibly getting a job? - June 16th 2013, 08:55 PM

Hai Dezzie

For the interview, it depends what kind of work you'll be doing. Like Sarasa suggested, talk about team work. In this you can mention your experience in such situations. For example on this site (if you are comfortable with that) or the co curricular activities or any projects that you have done in school. You can talk about what you learnt from them, which skills you harnessed and how they make you more applicable for the job position. I'll suggest, go over the General question in the HLM/LHO app on here, those look good. You can also talk about what you wish to gain from this job experience.

You can talk about how you are a dedicated and hard worker, which I know you are by seeing you work around here. You can cite relevant experiences, situations etc.

They basically assess your personality. So you can talk to your teacher about which parts of your personality they'll be assessing (the ones relevant to the job) and then you can write down points about it.

Something my mum said to my brother before his recent interview, sometimes they might not ask you the questions that you prepared for and which you could answer very well and which could up your chances for getting the job. So, just ask them at the end of the interview if you can take a few minutes and then just say your thing.

Just go in there all confident and give it your best. You can have some practice sessions with someone in your family or with a friend or your teacher. They can help boost your confidence.

As for the inpatient, if you are not going to go full time (idk how this works but some people go only during the day and stuff) and will have time, then I think you should definitely go for the job. When one is depressed, it really helps to do something that lifts their spirits. Getting a job experience can do that for you. You can go to hospital where you'll be going inpatient or your counselor or any other relevant person and discuss with them what your inpatient plan would be and if you'll be able to adjust this job in your routine and also discuss what good things this job will do for you, weigh the pros and cons and then decide your course of action.

Don't compromise with going inpatient if you need it. There will be many more job opportunities in the future but you need to be alive and healthy for them.

As for this site, you can just go On Leave over the summer. I am pretty sure no one will mind. : )

Good luck!

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Possibly getting a job? - June 17th 2013, 02:44 AM

Outpatient is usually where you go for a few hours a day. The few outpatient patients I saw usually went like 9-3 or they followed up at a clinic. They were there for most of the groups but went back home. This was a hospital though. Insurances are very brutal and try to encourage people to get on outpatient asap though. The clinical care coordinators have a tough job.

I would also consider talking this over with your parent. Work experience is usually great, but it is not as important as your health. I would find out if you can start later on. Find out what type of time commitment you would be doing too. Is it part-time? Is it full-time? A few hours every day or just a few days a week?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Possibly getting a job? - June 17th 2013, 02:46 AM

Yeah, what my counselor suggested was inpatient rather than outpatient, though. I'll discuss inpatient with my teacher then my counselor.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Possibly getting a job? - June 24th 2013, 12:21 AM

Okay guys! My interview is officially set up for Wednesday! Wish me luck!

Okay, one last question about inpatient. I haven't talked to my counselor much about how it'll actually work yet, but say I get the job. What would I tell my boss about why I just got a job and then need to take off for a while?

And how's this for an answer if I get that dreaded "Tell me about yourself" question: I'd say something like I have a sister and a 5 almost 6 month old niece, I like participating in Skills USA and got a 5th place medal in its Technical Computer Applications competition (good because it's computer related and so is my job), I'm going to take Microsoft Access for my senior study (I'd be doing access at this job), I'm in National Honor Society, and I like reading and writing.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Possibly getting a job? - June 24th 2013, 01:01 AM

I'd stay away from family info with the "tell me about yourself" question. They want to know about your personality/work ethic, what you're interested in, what you've accomplished, what you want to accomplish, etc. They don't necessarily want that personal info.

If you know without a doubt that you're going into inpatient, I'd hold off on applying for jobs. Otherwise, cross that bridge when you get there. If you can still find time for your job, then you can discuss switching your availability with your boss. If you can't work at all for several weeks, then I wouldn't be surprised if you were let go. It's unfortunate for you, but it's unfair to the employer if they have to lose an employee for several weeks.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Possibly getting a job? - June 24th 2013, 01:12 AM

See, that's why it's an issue. What I've accomplished I guess the Skills USA/NHS thing would work, what I want to accomplish would I be able to put what I want to go to college for? It's not computer related. Personality, I have no idea.

Honestly if I had to pick between job and inpatient I'd pick working, so I guess bridge crossed.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Possibly getting a job? - June 24th 2013, 02:23 AM

For personality traits, think about what employers want to hear: "hard-working," "energetic," "passionate," etc. For example, you could say, "I'm passionate about [something related to job] and always set out to finish what I've started." It sounds a bit corny, but then again, the question is a bit corny as well. =P

Even if you plan to major/specialize in something that the company doesn't focus on, you can probably find a connection. For example, when I worked at a dog and cat boarding facility, I was majoring in psychology. The connection? Having knowledge of the human mind allowed me to interact more effectively with customers/the pets' owners.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Possibly getting a job? - June 27th 2013, 08:11 PM

So, I went to the interview but now I've decided I really don't want to work. Not there, not anywhere.
I realized that part of me only went for the stupid interview because I need work experience. But I don't think I'll enjoy the job.
Another part of it is my mind throwing up a mental block saying I'll be horrible at it and won't be able to do anything right and will mess everything up and I'll just hate it.
So, what if I get hired? My teacher will probably be the one contacting me telling me if I got hired or not and she knows my back story and all but I'll feel like a huge disappointment as well as a waste of her time since she set up the interview.
If I get hired then say I reconsidered will this negatively impact people hiring me in the future or not?

And when I tell my teacher, should I say something like:

"I'm really sorry for having you go through the trouble of getting me the interview, but I decided that I'm just not ready to work yet. I think I'd be doing it more for work experience rather than actually enjoying the job, and given my stress levels I don't want to overload myself." She knows that I struggle with things so I think she'd understand or at least ask me to elaborate.

Last edited by Spoons; June 27th 2013 at 11:15 PM.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Possibly getting a job? - June 27th 2013, 11:23 PM

I really hate to tell you this Dez, but you likely aren't going to enjoy first jobs much. But as long as it doesn't cause you to have mental breakdowns or panic attacks, it's still important because not only will it give you work experience, but it will also give you money which is very useful.
I personally don't care for my job and I talked to my mother about this a few weeks ago, but she let me know it get's better as time goes on and honestly my favorite days are the days when my paycheck comes in the mail.
As for being bad at it, you'll never know until you try. Most likely you'll get some training when you first start out. After that, you'll learn as you go. My mother told me jobs usually suck for the first couple of weeks when you're still learning how things work, but then it gets better. I can be an advocate for that statement. When I first started my job, I had no clue what I was doing and I was frustrated to the point of tears because I was so stressed out. But now it's been about two months and I'm still learning everyday and it has gotten a lot better.
So my advice is to go ahead and take this job and just see how it goes. You can always quit (I'd wait a month at least) but if you reject the job, you may not be able to find another. A good rule of thumb is to not quit your job unless you have another one to take instead.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Possibly getting a job? - June 27th 2013, 11:27 PM

See, at this point I really don't care whether I work or not. My mom doesn't even care and said that as long as I'm in high school I don't even have to get a job, so technically I can wait another good year or more. The money's nice but I don't know what much I'd actually use it on besides saving for college or something or spoiling my niece. I get a $10 allowance a week which isn't much, but for what I use it for it works, or I just save up for a few weeks and get it. Normally half of it goes to spending money which I use on basically clothes and games and half goes to saving for Christmas presents for my sister, and now my niece.

I'd have training for about a week from the guy whose place I'd be taking, then when he leaves for good for college I'd be taking his job. It's just this whole mental block that I got as soon as he showed me what I'd be doing, I basically told myself how horrible I'd be at it. I'm not having a panic attack or anything but I am already having a lot of anxiety knowing that if he hires me I'll probably end up forcing myself through it rather than just quitting.

Closed Thread