TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

URGENT PLEASE: Signing job contract then backing out? - June 15th 2013, 04:44 AM

Hello,

Like hundreds of young people my age in my city, I was offered a rehire letter to work at a carnival for 2 weeks later on the summer. The carnival sent an e-mail saying that if we intend on working again for them this summer, we should come to the office and sign the contract.

I have been applying to two positions at this other place in which I would love to work (both positions attract me). However, I won't know if I'm hired for either position until next week but the carnival wants us to sign our contract (if we want to work for them again) by the next few days.

I was thinking of signing the contract in case I never find a summer job with a longer duration. However, if I do, I was thinking of calling the carnival late in the summer and saying that I had a family death and have to leave the country, therefore I wouldn't be able to work for them.

I know it's not professional to back out of a contract but there's hundreds of other kids who they can hire so I don't think it should be a big deal, right? Plus, I also have to think of myself.

What do you guys think?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
CorrieUSMC Offline
Ghost Rider
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Corrie

Re: URGENT PLEASE: Signing job contract then backing out? - June 15th 2013, 05:10 AM

First of, lying about it should never be the way to go. Even if its just the "carnival" you should never lie. It is better to be honest no matter what then to lie. Also, lets think long term.

Carnival job? Only the summer, are you only looking to work during the Summer? Or are you looking to work longer into the school year and/or later.

Also, if you sign the contract then back out, why it is only a Carnival position, if you use them as a reference they might say that you backed out of a contract you already signed.

Also, are the other two jobs guaranteed? While the Carnival job is guaranteed and you know you can get that job. While the other two is a "maybe".

So you have to decide two "maybes" or the guaranteed?

Just remember to stay honest.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: URGENT PLEASE: Signing job contract then backing out? - June 15th 2013, 08:52 PM

I wouldn't lie, but if you sign the contract and they offer the job and you change your mind then the sooner you tell them the better, just call them and be like "look, I'm sorry, but I got another job offer that is more suited to my financial needs and I have had to make the decision not to take employment at the carnival, I want to let you know now so that you will have enough time to call someone else to take the position for offered to me".
If you wait until later in the summer, even if you lie and make it sound like some unavoidable catastrophe, that's still likely to piss them off more then if you let them know right away with the honest truth. This is because they don't care about your personal life, they care about their business and that means if you back out to late it'll be hard to replace you, which they'll have to do regardless of your reason and regardless of what you tell them. Where as if you tell them early on, even if you feel bad for basically having to say you got a better offer, this happens a lot with young people any how AND it shows more courtesy and respect towards them and their needs instead of only thinking about yourself and how guilty it'l make you feel if you have to back out for a better offer. So just be honest and tell them you got a better offer more well suited towards your financial needs or your career goals or what ever the hell else the reason is (a longer work term will mean more money which is why I am taking that angle)

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread