TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Amorphous. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Hamed Khatiz

Adjusting To Group Assignments. - June 29th 2013, 03:25 AM

HEY PEEPSLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .

My name's Hamed for those who don't know, and I recently finished my first week of my second season of Uni . I am really looking forward to winning and getting stuck into some of the assignments . HOWEVER, you're not allowed to access the assignment information until Week Three . What I DO know though is one of the assignments for Management is a GROUP assignment.

And I'm thinking "oh, cool, a group assignment, can't wait", and then the happy mood was shattered in seconds . She mentioned two points and then my heart sunk.
  • You don't get to choose the teams.
  • This is a creative assignment.

A CREATIVE assignment where you DON'T get to choose the teams! . I like to work in teams, but not for creative assignments, because I have a different creative style to someone else, and the next person. I like videos, I would love to make a video for the assignment but my teacher made it clear that she would hate that.

So in the end you're trying to impress five people, AND you get assessed on it, I mean not everyone has the same taste. And personally, I like working by myself because I am sort of more in control then too .

But how do I adjust to working better in teams for assignments and especially for creative presentations etc, like this one? I like working independently, but your mark also depends on how you interact in a team. So I work better independently, but that just makes me look anti-social? .

I don't know LOL.

“At times the world may seem an unfriendly and sinister place,
But believe that there is much more good in it than bad.
All you have to do is look hard enough,
And what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of a journey.”

~My Childhood Friend.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Mahray Offline
Skittles Minion

Regular TeenHelper

Re: Adjusting To Group Assignments. - June 29th 2013, 01:25 PM

Ok. Your reaction? Probably what the lecturer wants, to be honest. Particularly in a Management course.

So you've got some options here. You can look at the weighting of this piece of assessment, and possibly blow it off. That's really risky though.

You can try to get the work done regardless of your team, and push to do everything yourself. Risky also.

You can take control of the group and assign people tasks. Could work, might not. Comes down to how the group functions.

As a group, break the task into chunks. Work out the strengths of each person in the group. Assign chunks to each person based on those strengths. If they're not meeting deadlines, negotiate the help they need.

Since it's a management course, they're looking to give you skills in all sorts of ways.

Feel free to email/PM/VM/whatever me if you want. I'll answer as soon as I can.

New blog - http://www.trueartisangsty.com/
Trying to keep it updated more or less daily as I write.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I can't get enough

Name: Lauren

Re: Adjusting To Group Assignments. - June 29th 2013, 03:34 PM

I am exactly the same way, I hate group assignments with a passion because I always feel like I get stuck doing all the work, and much prefer just doing assignments by myself. We don't always get a choice though, and it's a skill we need to know for the future! When you get a job you aren't going to get a choice of who you get to work with. You've just got to make an effort to get along with them enough to get the work done. It's good to learn the skills now, rather than later.

I don't recommend blowing off the assignment or doing all the work yourself. If you blow it off, it could end up badly and it'll hurt your grade, if you do it all yourself it's likely to make the other group members angry. Who wants to do all that work anyway?

I really suggest breaking up the project into different parts, and working on those parts separately, but don't feel like you can't ask for help from other group members. They're there for a reason. Make sure and listen to everyone's ideas and give them a chance. Remember to think about your ideas as well. Sometimes in groups we try to go with what everyone else is thinking, but if you have a different opinion don't keep to yourself. Tell them your idea.

Good luck!

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Adjusting To Group Assignments. - June 29th 2013, 05:21 PM

Hey Hammed I completely understand not liking to work in groups! Unfortunately sometimes you don't have a choice, and like Lauren said, they're only making you do it because it's a skill you're going to need. I wouldn't suggest blowing it off either. You've posted here before about how you tend to either procrastinate on things and/or blow them off and then you end up stressed out at the end because of what happens to your grade.

Depending on the size of the group, I would not suggest breaking the work up and doing it separately or if you're going to do this make sure you CHECK with each other before it's due because you can end up with a finished product that's really disjointed and unorganized. Now, sometimes you HAVE to do this because there's just too much stuff to do or too many schedules to coordinate.

You want to meet with your group on a semi-consistent basis, break up the work and then meet again to make sure everything is going to mesh together. Make sure your group hears your ideas and that everyone gets equal input. Even if they don't end up going with your idea, at least you'll know they heard you. I have noticed that groups kind of automatically have someone who takes charge (this is almost never me, but I will do it if no one else does), if you like to be in control, maybe try to be that person? There usually ends up being someone in charge, someone who organizes everything, and somebody who comes up with the really good ideas and someone who can be creative and make it look all pretty.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Adjusting To Group Assignments. - June 29th 2013, 06:52 PM

I feel like people tend to hate group assignments for a variety of reasons, like for myself the problem is that I find it's so hard to find a good balance in work commitment. You either have the people who you can barely get to commit any time at all OR the ones expect you to drop everything else you have going on in your life to get the project done (even though it'd get done any how), so that's hard there. The other challenge is when you get the person who just takes over OR you get the people who don't do anything at all and leave you to do all the work for them. So That's always been my frustration, but I have found that's not so bad as it used to be, the more group projects I do the more i learn to work around that. My problem in high school was that I got left out a lot, I always seemed to be the one who had to awkwardly walk up to a half formed group and ask to join them. Don't get me wrong, I had friends, I was just the quiet introverted one and such. So I'd end up begging the teachers to let me work alone because if I made it seem like i wanted to be alone it'd be less embarassing if no one wanted to work with me. But even then it wasn't that bad, sometimes people would be like "hey come work with me" lol. So it's almost easier when the prof just makes you go into groups because then you don't need to worry about a popularity contest or of being the quietest one who ends up with the dumb asses. If you end up with a bad group you can always just tell the prof what's up if you've truly tried to get people to share the work (without over doing it) and ran out of options.

But if your in a management class the prof has probably set it up to be like this. That way you are working with new people and rise to the challenge. Like, you know, managing a new group situation and all Seems logical to me

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread