TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Agony Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

This years classes O.o - July 11th 2013, 11:34 PM

So this year I will be a sophomore in high school and I'll be taking some pretty interesting classes. Here's a list of the classes or chosen:

Basketball
Track
AP English
AP World History
AP Chemistry
Algebra 2
Spanish 3
Journalism

I'm worried that I'm going to be stressed out next year with all these AP classes. Algebra 2 is a junior and sophomore class so I will be learning at a juniors pace. Journalism is going to be like another English class from what I've heard, but the class that worries me the most is AP chemistry. My upperclassmen friends told me I was crazy for taking it. AP World is also rumored to be extremely difficult unless you study A LOT. Which I hardly ever study at all because I simply don't know how
I was just wondering if y'all had any advice on what to do? I know a lot of you have finished high school and have probably taking these classes.

Thanks for reading,
Ash

When I'm sad I think, "I got a jar of dirt, I got a jar of dirt!"

You can't change fate, but you can change your attitude towards it.
Former user: xArchDreamerx

Became a HelpLINK mentor on July 13th, 2013

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I can't get enough

Name: Lauren

Re: This years classes O.o - July 13th 2013, 05:34 PM

Hey there,

I haven't finished High School yet, nor have I taken any AP classes, (My school doesn't offer them, or I would try) but I hope I can help you out a bit either way! I didn't do much studying before my sophomore year as well, I never needed too and my grades really paid for it. I took a lot of harder classes that were more Junior leveled classes than Sophomore level, I took two science courses, and two history courses instead of electives, and Spanish. If the classes you are taking interest you then there shouldn't be problem with you getting through the class with a grade that you want, but if it's something you don't really like, try to find something challenging that you do like.

I took Chemistry my sophomore year as well, and everyone told me I was crazy and that I should have waited, but I didn't think it was that hard. I did unfortunately not get the grade that I wanted, because I got lazy towards the end of the year. School isn't suppose to be easy, and sometimes you've got to study to get the grade that you want, but I didn't find chemistry all that hard. If I would've worked a little harder, I think I could have gotten a better grade.

I think studying is a little different for everyone. I have friends who will study for four hours straight a night, and some people who didn't study at all, but they both got decent scores. It's just a matter of you finding what works for you best. What I recommend is taking good notes, maybe having a note book set aside for the classes you take a lot of notes in. Remember not everything they say will be on the test, so pay attention to what the teacher is saying, and when they point out important things. This will help you not have to write as much, and it'll be easier to go through your notes and study what is needed.

Also try to go over what you cover at school each night. It's a lot better to read through the materials a few days before the test, rather than just the night before. If you do it the night before, you'll be stressed out and you'll get anxious. It just helps a lot to read it over before the test.

It also helps to talk to your teacher before you test, and see what they recommend about studying for their tests. Usually after the first test you take it does become a little easier, you know what to look for and how they set their tests up as well.

With History the best thing that helps me is flash cards. It helps me a lot, and I usually write down every question on the study guide before a test. I also used flash cards for many of my other classes. It might help you as well!

I hope this helps a bit. Good luck!

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: This years classes O.o - July 14th 2013, 03:59 AM

I think that as far as AP classes go, try and get extra help if you get confused or you may end up getting lost. I learned that with my AP Physics class. Once I started to get confused I started staying after with my teacher twice a week to get help. Maybe you can do something similar. They are more than willing, even at AP level, most of the time.

Besides that Lauren gave you awesome tips.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: This years classes O.o - July 14th 2013, 11:58 PM

Hey Ash,

Your schedule sounds fairly difficult, but doable! I see you need help learning to study. Don't worry, I wasn't studying regularly when I was your age. I really didn't start studying regularly until college. But here are my tips!

1) Pick a time to study and stick to it. I'd recommend it earlier in the day, not hours after dinner when you're exhausted and need to get your necessary sleep. This is harder in high school, since it seems they get you up at the crack of dawn then keep you with sports and extra-curricular activities until late. But if there is a way to schedule a 4-5 study hour before practices or hanging out with friends, I'd try it! If it needs to be late, try at least before 11. Late night studying is not too helpful, especially for myself.

2) Go in public. I study 10x better when I'm out in public where there is a shame factor if somebody happens to walk by and see that I'm on Tumblr or TeenHelp. This keeps me on track. You can also invite a (smart, not distracting) friend to go with you, perhaps somebody in these classes, or somebody in a completely different class but also needing some sit-down-and-do-it time.

3) If you need help learning to study, see if you have a free tutoring center at your school, find a paid tutor, or get some tips from your individual teachers. They have taught the class many times and they can help you learn which ways are the best to learn the information taught. For example, your Spanish class may be a good class to use flash cards to learn vocabulary, while your AP World class might be a good class to use a color-coded study guide, and you may need to make some diagrams for your AP Chemistry. Ask around, tutors, teachers, former students, etc. It's okay to ask for help!

Hope that helps.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Agony Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: This years classes O.o - July 15th 2013, 02:11 AM

Thanks everyone for the awesome tips! I will try out all of them and see what works best with me.
Practice starts in the morning at 7:15, and we get out of school at 4:10. We have basketball games twice a week, sometimes on weekends for tournaments. I dot know the track schedule very well because that sport isn't as organized lol.
I will definitely try studying in public because I get distracted when I'm by myself as well.
Thanks again for giving me all these tips, I might actually make it through this year

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: This years classes O.o - July 15th 2013, 03:17 AM

You're going to do great, you seem like a smart kid. I was most definitely not smart enough to take AP Chem or Algebra II at 15, I was failing Algebra I at that age. But it's good to reach out since those were the mistakes I made. Be willing to talk to your coaches if your grades are slipping in your classes and these are taking up too much time. And remember to take care of your health, this affects your grades as well! Sometimes, it's better to get an extra hour of sleep rather than the extra hour of studying before a test.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Agony Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: This years classes O.o - July 15th 2013, 04:42 AM

Well I used to be smart
This year I started making B's in some of my advanced classes, which mean't I was constantly grounded. I'm worried about next year because my parents said I had to make straight A's and have a good attitude to get a car, and if I made B's then they'd take it away. My parents also said if I didn't play sports then I would have to have a job after school, so I'm kind of being forced to play sports

English is my strong subject and I am normally good when it comes to History, so hopefully that helps my GPA.

I took Algebra I in 8th grade, that was NOT a fun class lol, that's why I'm taking regular Algebra II. The reason why I'm taking all of these advanced classes is because my senior year I will be taking College courses and Dual Credit courses, so I knock out a lot of the boring college classes lol
I thought about trying to graduate my junior year but my parents didn't agree with it and I would have had to take all core classes my junior year instead of taking AP psychology (counts as an elective) so I decided to just graduate with t class lol.

Closed Thread