TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Carly Jessica

I feel like a total failure, bomb an important test struggly not to just give up - July 17th 2013, 02:14 AM

I am feeling like shit right now!!!! I found out a totally bomb a test!!!
I am taking summer school to help upgrade my math cause I suck at math. I am taking math 10C cause I took the easier courses like 10-3 and 20-3 and barely passed 20. it seems like every math course has been nothing but stress, frustration and tears and it never ends well. and now this time math is going to be different and for the first unit it was looking up but today everything came crashing down. we had a huge unit final on Monday and got our marks back and I got 9 out of 43. I thought I did so well I felt confident going in to the test even after the test I thought I did good. It was the hardest unit of the whole course so I worked twice as hard studying and spent over 50 hours studying and reviewing on top of the five hours we do at school and I still failed. THE AWFUL THING IS I GET NO REWRITES which makes things worse cause I don't have a chance to fix it cause there's no time I just feel totally crushed and mad at myself. I couldn't focus all day cause I just kept trying to figure what I did wrong. Which is not good especially summer school cause we cover 6 months of school in one month. so we cover one chapter in like two days which usually would take a week or two and we cover a unit in a week and usually a unit takes a month. So for someone like me who works at a slower pace its really overwhelming. And next week is the last week and we have 4 big exams. Two Unit finals plus a math course final part A and part B this is not the week for all this to happen it doesn't help that I am sick and injured because I haven't been sleeping or eating cause I have been studying hard and doing homework plus pushing myself real hard at school
I am the type of student who thinks nothing I do is good enough. I can get an 80 and I will be upset and beat myself up over it. I have self harmed over getting a bad grade. I am so hard on myself especially in school. and I feel like I have to understand a concept right away then I am hopeless. I also notice that if I don't understand something right away I get frustrated and I just give up and stop trying. plus I am terrified of asking help. I feel like asking for help makes me look stupid and I think the teachers will get mad at me or think bad of me. and it just doesn't help when you just finished grade 12 and u are taking a class filled with a bunch of grade tens who are two-three years younger then I am and some of them understand the stuff more then I do and I feel so embarrassed. The one good thing is that lucky I have a teacher I know really well and have had her before for different classes so I trust her a lot but I still am terrified of going to her for help. even during the year my friends would have to drag me in there and ask for me. I also have a super close guy friend in the class with me and we are in the same grade and age and we went to school for three years together and were in a lot of classes together and he's really strong at math so he tries to help me a lot but sometimes u need a teacher and that's where I have major trouble.
An other major issue that is not helping that my class I am in have the maturity of a two year old. they are always talking and whispering even when the teacher is trying to teach and I am trying to listen but I have a hard time cause I have A-D-D which means I get distracted really easy and then when I am trying to work they are talking even louder and laughing and playing there music way to loud and texting or there phones are going off it feels impossible to focus and usually I would listen to my music at a very low level to help block out the rest of the noise but now cause they don't know how to listen to simple instructions we cant use are phones at all.
I AM JUST LOST ON WHAT TO DO AND HOW TO OVER COME THIS
I hope this makes some sense

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I can't get enough

Name: Lauren

Re: I feel like a total failure, bomb an important test struggly not to just give up - July 18th 2013, 12:05 AM

Hey there,

Math itself is a really hard subject, especially for me as well. I've never been really good at math, and I bet having to cover six months worth of math in one month is pretty stressful as well. You have to keep in mind that this was one test and even though you did bad it does not mean that you are a failure. We all have our strengths and weaknesses. I think you need to just breathe and remind yourself that it isn't the end of the world. You will have other chances to get better grades on tests. This was one test. It won't define you for the rest of your life.

It's not good for you to not sleep or eat to study instead. That's just going to hurt your scores worse. Doing a lot of studying, say the whole night, will make you tired and cranky. No one wants to study for the whole night. Try to space it out. Eat dinner, study for a little, take a small break, study a little more and go to sleep. You need to get a balanced diet, and at least 8 hours of sleep to be fully rested for school. It will do you a lot more good!

When you get home from school sit down in a quiet area where it's clean and work on your school work where there are no distractions. You don't have to spend all night working on things, because it'll most likely hurt you more than do you any good. Take breaks when you feel you need them, and make sure to eat and sleep.

I know a lot of people that struggle with asking for help and I do too. It is scary. Is there anyway you can maybe stay after school and ask for help instead of asking for help during class? You could also see if your close friend who has that class can come with you to make you feel better. It might help your nerves if you ask when there is no one else around. You could also ask if your teacher could go over that test with you and see what you did wrong. You said you couldn't do a rewrite, but it always helps me to know what I did wrong and it puts my mind at ease. It might help you as well.

I think you should also bring up the issue of the distractions in your class. If it's bothering your learning, it is most likely bothering someone else as well, so bring it up to your teacher in private an tell him it is hurting your learning and distracting you. They might be able to keep an eye on whoever is causing the noise and then they can do something to stop it.

I hope this helped a bit. Good luck!

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread