TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
zman419 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

I don't like my job - August 3rd 2013, 02:59 PM

I work at a coffee shop. The job itself isn't so bad, but for some reason i'm extrmely miserable when I'm there. However quitting is not an option. I'm a hardcore gamer, and as any gamer will tell you it can be a very expensive hobby to support. A lot of my funds go towards buying new games and even more goes towards gaming snack food. Even right now I'm trying to save up for both a wii u and a new gaming pc. (before anyone says i need to save up for college my mom and i made an agreement that a third of every paycheck goes towards saving for college).
So basically since quitting isn't an option I need to know what i can do to make working there a bit better. My main problems are
1)Shifts can be really long and (even if you keep busy) feel lijke at least double the time im there
2)Seriously, standing for 8 hours can really make your feet hurt
3)All the cofffee burners, toasters and ovens (we also have a but of a deli and freshly baked stuff) make things really hot during the summer.
4)There's too much of a pressure to move quickly and sometimes I can't meet up with demands.
If there was something i could do about these things life maybe wouldnt be so bad.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Brodskie Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Brody

Re: I don't like my job - August 3rd 2013, 04:02 PM

Hey there, I'm sorry that you're having problems with your job. I've definitely been there before, and I'll do my best to give you some advice here. First of all, how long have you been working at your job? If it's a month or less I can say that that the standing on your feet for 8 hours, and the keeping up with demands will get better. Even at my current job at the beginning I found my feet hurt because of the shoes I wear for 8 hours, and that I found it hard to get all my work done/keep up with the demands. It's something that comes in time and you learn to adjust. These days I rarely ever have a time where my feet hurt at work and I get my work done so easily I can even do other people's jobs when they're struggling. So, just hang in there because it can get better!

This also applies to the shift feeling really long. That generally gets better the longer you're at a job. Although you'll still have days that feel like they drag by, it won't be so constant! Also, if you feel that you're having trouble learning anything at your job or adjusting to anything, you could speak to a manager about more training or understanding that you're having a bit of trouble. A lot of people are very helpful and understanding, you may just be surprised by the reaction you get.

As for it being hot in the summer, first just let me say that the summer doesn't last forever! If you can get to liking this job and the people then you have the entire winter where it likely won't be this bad. Now, are you allowed to have water on the floor? Keeping hydrated would normally help. If you have regular breaks get away from the ovens and toasters on your breaks, maybe outside? At my job there's walk-in freezers and whenever I'm feeling overheated I just walk in there for a minute, haha!

If leaving your job is something you're considering, most towns and cities have some kind of career centre or job search centre. Lots of job postings and even career counselors to help you find your strengths and weaknesses, and they often have access to jobs you don't always see on postings or online. I would suggest a visit there to see what's open in your area and what your options are. Secondly, keep a continuous look online. There's always new things popping up and myself personally, I always know exactly what's happening on online job boards, and I'm not even actively looking. Just good to know how the job market is in your area. Hopefully you find something that's a little more your speed and it'll make things a little easier.

I'm assuming this is your first job, so my overall advice would be not to give up on it and let it get better, because it will! It's a great thing that you want to be financially independent and that you're saving for college. A great step in life that will work wonders for your self confidence, at least.

Let us know how things go, man. Cheers!

...This time, I watch from the sidelines
Your ghost in the limelight
Face your fears and pierce the night...

Message me anytime
VM | PM

(#3 (permalink)) Old
zman419 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I don't like my job - August 3rd 2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodskie View Post
Hey there, I'm sorry that you're having problems with your job. I've definitely been there before, and I'll do my best to give you some advice here. First of all, how long have you been working at your job? If it's a month or less I can say that that the standing on your feet for 8 hours, and the keeping up with demands will get better. Even at my current job at the beginning I found my feet hurt because of the shoes I wear for 8 hours, and that I found it hard to get all my work done/keep up with the demands. It's something that comes in time and you learn to adjust. These days I rarely ever have a time where my feet hurt at work and I get my work done so easily I can even do other people's jobs when they're struggling. So, just hang in there because it can get better!

This also applies to the shift feeling really long. That generally gets better the longer you're at a job. Although you'll still have days that feel like they drag by, it won't be so constant! Also, if you feel that you're having trouble learning anything at your job or adjusting to anything, you could speak to a manager about more training or understanding that you're having a bit of trouble. A lot of people are very helpful and understanding, you may just be surprised by the reaction you get.

As for it being hot in the summer, first just let me say that the summer doesn't last forever! If you can get to liking this job and the people then you have the entire winter where it likely won't be this bad. Now, are you allowed to have water on the floor? Keeping hydrated would normally help. If you have regular breaks get away from the ovens and toasters on your breaks, maybe outside? At my job there's walk-in freezers and whenever I'm feeling overheated I just walk in there for a minute, haha!

If leaving your job is something you're considering, most towns and cities have some kind of career centre or job search centre. Lots of job postings and even career counselors to help you find your strengths and weaknesses, and they often have access to jobs you don't always see on postings or online. I would suggest a visit there to see what's open in your area and what your options are. Secondly, keep a continuous look online. There's always new things popping up and myself personally, I always know exactly what's happening on online job boards, and I'm not even actively looking. Just good to know how the job market is in your area. Hopefully you find something that's a little more your speed and it'll make things a little easier.

I'm assuming this is your first job, so my overall advice would be not to give up on it and let it get better, because it will! It's a great thing that you want to be financially independent and that you're saving for college. A great step in life that will work wonders for your self confidence, at least.

Let us know how things go, man. Cheers!
Actually believe it or not I've been there for over a year already. I pretty much know how to do everything. i kinda live in a smaller town and jobs can be hard to come by for teens (mostly because they're all taken).
\the feet hurting thing isn't something you learn to adjust to. my suppervisor has been wrking there for at least 10 years and she says you never get used to it.
I guess at the end of the day the money is worth it and as i do work for an actual chain, there are scholorship opportunities for students workers going to college, which is also great.
Usually i'm in a worse mood before work than i am during work, mostly because i kind of dread it. i go through that whole "ughhhh i don't wanna go to work thing." and once you get into things i tend to not notice the heat and the sore feet.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I can't get enough

Name: Lauren

Re: I don't like my job - August 3rd 2013, 05:31 PM

Hey there,

Brody pretty much said everything I was going to say, but with your feet problem, maybe you could look into getting better shoes, if you don't have a good pair right now. My mom had a lot of trouble with her feet hurting while she was at work because she was on them all the time, so she got a new pair after a year and they've helped her a lot. It might be something to look into.

When you're working I see it as the day can go by either really fast, or it can drag on as if it'll never end. Just try to keep yourself busy and focus on doing your job. Try not to look at the clock as much, and it'll hopefully make the day go by faster.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
zman419 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I don't like my job - August 3rd 2013, 06:17 PM

unfortunatly we have a 20 minute fresh policy with our coffee so we have to mark our pots with expiration times, so i gotta look at the clock pretty requently

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Re: I don't like my job - August 5th 2013, 01:51 AM

Hi there Welcome to TeenHelp!

I'm sorry to hear that work is giving you a hard time :/ I too work in a coffee shop and can *completely* understand how much standing up for 8 hours can suck...I come home and go straight for a foot bath to relax my muscles.

One thing I definitely suggest that the others suggested is to invest in a comfy, supportive pair of shoes. Actually, I'd recommend chef shoes or something similar (I went to culinary school so I already had a pair). These are black, leather, close-toed shoes that have great arch support and will help you get through the day.

Naturally, work's going to stink if you go into it with the mentality that it's going to stink. Yes, it's gonna be hot in the summer, and yes, you're gonna be standing up for a long time...but you know that. Try to just accept that these are the terms of this job, but if you make the best of it, time will go by faster and it'll seem more worth it.

One thing I like to do at the shop is mess around with the espresso machine. If you have one, it's really fun to try to recreate those designs you see on the Internet in the lattes. I always get a little sense of pride sending my lattes away with leafs, spiderwebs, swirls and teddy bear designs.

Is there music at work? Sometimes if you get into the beats, you'll feel more distracted and the stress will fade. Just try to think...okay, I've got this job, and it's paying for my gaming. I'm gonna be the best dang barista/cashier in this place. The coffee's always gonna be hot and fresh, I'm gonna make sure all the counters are spotless, and I'm gonna watch that tip jar fill! (If there is one).

Also, maybe playing some games on your phone during break? Or doing some research on the latest expansion packs and gadgets? It might motivate you to stay in positive mode during work

Hang in there!!

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013

(#7 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Resource Editor

I can't get enough

Re: I don't like my job - August 6th 2013, 06:52 PM

Hey there,

I used to work in a job very similar to yours but I was working overnights currently I am not working. I do however understand where you are coming from.

Do you tend to stand in one spot for a long period of time or do you have a chance to move around? This can help blood flow through your legs and feet. Another idea is getting some soles for your shoes so your feet don't hurt as much.

Does it ever get busy like a rush? I find during rush hours it tends to go by fast. Another thing you could do is clean when there isn't much to do, or stock fridges, shelves, those kinds of things. Even interacting with customers can help as well.

Regards to the heat, there isn't much you could do. Does your work have AC? Also drinking lots of water can help you keep cool and from dehydration.

A fast past job is very demanding depending on the amount of customers that do walk in to order. You shouldn't be hard on yourself, go at your pace but don't go slow. It may be slow because there are many other orders that are going at the same time. You should keep telling yourself your doing a good job even when it is busy, there is so much one person can do.

A lot of things we do requires money, like you hobby in games, that requires money. You can make the best out of the job right now or you can apply to other jobs in your area if this is possible. I wouldn't quit in less you do have a job lined up. Just try your best.

Take Care

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: I don't like my job - August 7th 2013, 03:07 PM

1. Not much advice here. Look for interesting games to play with other coworkers. Like who can find the most stereotypes during the night. However, be careful who you play it with or what games you play. A lot can get you fired, but that was part of the fun back in the day.
2. Try compression stockings. Yes, old men wear them but it's a secret that nurses use in the healthcare field use to limit the pain of standing for 12 hours. I would try knee-high compression stockings first. If you feel self conscious wearing the stockings, just do what I do and throw regular socks over them. They really do help with venous return.
3. See if you would be allowed to put fans underneath the counters to allow air to circulate. You guys would probably have to furnish the fans.
4. Just practice and get it done as quick as you can.

Remember it is just a job and it is not your lifelong dream. I would also think about looking for another job if you have worked there for 1 year. I would not switch before then.

Closed Thread