TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Amorphous. Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Hamed Khatiz

Online Applications. - August 13th 2013, 09:32 AM

Morning guys .

OK, so I have been searching again for a position of work, and it has been going for about, eight months now, since I started searching. As you can tell, it means a lot to me now to find something, but I won't bore you with that shizzle. But it's serious for me so I was undoubtedly pissed off when I went to someone to hand in a physical résumé and I told them, "I have already applied online but here's my résumé in real life" and they told me that when someone applies online for a position, no one actually has a look at it, it just stays on the system, so you have to hand it in in person if you want to have a chance.

What?

So having applied for about sixty different positions online, they just get logged into the system?

What?!

Is it better to apply online or is it better to go out and have a talk to the worker or the manager. And when the manager tells me to apply online, how can I make sure that it isn't just thrown away.

A lot of people have said that it is actually really good to go there in person but Sometimes (in fact most of the time), a worker there tells me that they can "hand the resume into my manager later". Is that sweet or should I ask to speak to the actual manager?

It's really irritating that people are throwing away resumes, but yeah, how can I determine that I get a shot at least?

“At times the world may seem an unfriendly and sinister place,
But believe that there is much more good in it than bad.
All you have to do is look hard enough,
And what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may in fact be the first steps of a journey.”

~My Childhood Friend.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: Online Applications. - August 13th 2013, 11:00 AM

That is annoying but I doubt it's the case with every place you've applied for. If you want to be sure that they get your application, you could do both and hand in your resume as well as the application but I doubt they'll just throw it away and not hand it to the manager or that your online application won't get looked at. Some places won't take your resume and will just tell you to apply online so that shows that not everyone is just going to ignore your online application. It could have been misinformation or just the case for that particular place.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Astrophile. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Brittany

Re: Online Applications. - August 13th 2013, 01:50 PM

I, like you, have spent numerous amounts of hours applying for job after job online to no avail. However, after sending an email to a supervisor selling myself, she became really interested in me. She called me the next day to schedule a phone interview (because I am currently not in the same state as the position). The phone interview went really well, and I got hired. My point? You HAVE to put yourself out there. You did a really good job by attempting to submit your resume in person.

After you submit the online applications, followup. It's important to show a massive amount of interest in the job for whatever reason that might be (it's related to your field of choice, you love the place, you want the experience, etc.). Because if you don't, yes, the application will get lost in the system and they'll choose someone else who sells themselves to the employer.

It's frustrating, and takes a lot of work, but it is possible. Don't give up!

There is no beauty without some strangeness.
-EAP-

(#4 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Online Applications. - August 14th 2013, 04:45 PM

Some jobs ONLY want you to apply online or send your resume via fax/e-mail. In fact, I've seen job listings BEG applicants to NOT call OR show up in person, because the people at the agency are very busy and don't have time to interact with people in those ways. I'm sorry you've had some negative experiences with online applications. As Britt said, I would follow up by calling the agency after you have submitted your resume online (unless there's a note specifically asking you NOT to do that).

As for handing in your resume physically, if the manager isn't available and someone offers to hand it in for you, I would just ask when the manager will be available, so you can return and speak to them in person about your application. Most people will understand why you would want to meet the manager personally, and they'll accommodate your request by checking the weekly schedule to see when the manager will be around.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I can't get enough

Name: Lauren

Re: Online Applications. - August 15th 2013, 03:10 PM

Hey there,

I agree with everything that everyone else has said. Every place is different. My friends and family usually apply to online but I know many places who prefer you to apply in person. I always say that it is better to apply in person because they can see that you're determined to get this job and they'll know you a little better, but some places don't allow you to apply in person and you have to apply online, like Robin said.

I also agree that you should follow up by calling them. They'll see that you really want this job and that you're willing to work for it, and that's always a nice thing to see in an applicant.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."

Closed Thread