TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Education and Careers (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/)
-   -   Seeking Help From School (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f22-education-careers/t122833-seeking-help-school/)

VoodooGirl August 19th 2013 07:46 PM

Seeking Help From School

If I were to go to the counselling services at my University, would they likely take me out of school? I really want help but one of the reasons I refuse to seek it is I fear being taken out of school. I fear telling my mom because I don't think she'd let me go as it's far from home, my hope was to go to counselling once school starts, but then I started thinking, maybe they'd take me out of school to get help because they'd think I can't handle it or something which I totally can. In fact I think keeping busy and having a distraction from thinking about food and weight all day might be the only thing that can help me.

Kate* August 19th 2013 08:02 PM

Re: Seeking Help From School

Hey Sam, they most likely will NOT take you out of school unless you need immediate hospitalization. They may send you to health services or a doctor for a physical, or give you the option to admit yourself depending on how serious your physical condition is or if you're an immediate danger to yourself for any reason.

VoodooGirl August 19th 2013 08:11 PM

Ok thank you, that's a relief because this is pretty much the only way I'm going to get myself help.

Philomath August 20th 2013 10:22 PM

Hi Sam,

I agree with Katie, they will not take you out of school. Depending on your university, they may be able to help you through health services, the counseling center and with the help of your school's nutritionist.
They can only make you leave for help if you are in serious danger and they do not have the services to help you.
Some universities list their services and self-help resources on their websites. Maybe you can have a look under the counseling center section of your school's site to see their polocies and other information.
Hopefully this is helpful and you can send me a PM or VM if you ever need someone to talk to.
Take care and have a great start to your freshman year!

Alexisdominique August 23rd 2013 02:33 AM

Counselors don't really do that. I don't even think they're allowed to do that I the person's not comfortable with the decision.

Philomath August 23rd 2013 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexisdominique (Post 1059579)
Counselors don't really do that. I don't even think they're allowed to do that I the person's not comfortable with the decision.

You are correct, in a majority of cases, counselors do not make people leave school or seek inpatient help. Though, if the person is extremely malnurish from an ED and is uncapable to live very long without medical intervention, at risk of suicide because they have a plan and plan to act on it or if the person has a plan to seriously harm others, then they will most likely and can interveen for the safety of the student and anyone else.
I could be wrong, I know I am not always correct, however I believe this is how I understand the confidentiality policy of colleges/universities.

Kate* August 23rd 2013 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kakorrhaphiophobia (Post 1059594)
You are correct, in a majority of cases, counselors do not make people leave school or seek inpatient help. Though, if the person is extremely malnurish from an ED and is uncapable to live very long without medical intervention, at risk of suicide because they have a plan and plan to act on it or if the person has a plan to seriously harm others, then they will most likely and can interveen for the safety of the student and anyone else.
I could be wrong, I know I am not always correct, however I believe this is how I understand the confidentiality policy of colleges/universities.

I'm one semester away from working in the college counseling center and yes, this is how it works; only I'm in training, so technically my supervisor would have to make the call. We don't do anything without discussing it with the client. First you suggest it, if you feel it's really necessary, you strongly suggest, and if it's medically necessary or an emergency, then you encourage them to go willingly, if they refuse and they're in danger then they can be forced against their will, but only as the absolute last resort. Any licensed counselor has the power to do this.