TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TheLittleNinja Offline
I'm a secret ninja ;)
I've been here a while

Name: Claiiiiiiiiire

Talking Overseas Study Unit - September 29th 2013, 10:18 AM

Hey Everyone!

I'm currently in my second year of studying Environmental Geography and International Development at UEA.

As an option in my third year I can take a semester abroad - in an English speaking university.

I'm particularly interested in plant ecology, agriculture and soils, culminating into widening what the world eats. As we currently only have 20 staple food crops, I'm really interested in broadening this!

If anyone could help with:
A) What English speaking universities are out there - perhaps smaller ones such as the South Pacific and,
B) If there are any courses that people know of that link to my interests.

Thankyou!!!

Claire

I'm still alive.
Must have been a miracle
It's been one hell of a ride
Destination still unkown
It's a fact of life: If you make one wrong move with a gun to your head
You better walk the line or you'll be left for dead.

I'm a runaway train on a broken track
I'm the ticker on the bomb that you can't turn back
Thats right.
I got away with it all and I'm still alive.
Let the end of the world come tumbling down.
I'll be the last man standing on the ground
As long as hot blood runs through my veins
I'm still alive.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Overseas Study Unit - October 7th 2013, 01:25 AM

Would environmental studies be a degree program, possibly?

I was looking at the University of Connecticut website and this was their description of environmental studies:

Quote:
The Environmental Studies major is an interdisciplinary program designed to provide students with the knowledge, skills, and perspectives needed to understand the interactions between human society and the environment. Understanding the ethical and cultural dimensions of our relationship with the environment, as well as the challenges of protecting it, requires insights from multiple perspectives, including the humanities, the social sciences, and the natural sciences. Core courses in the major ensure familiarity with basic principles from these three areas. With this shared core of knowledge, majors will focus their studies on an area of special interest, taking electives and related courses that allow greater specialization. Among the many possibilities are environmental sustainability, issues concerning public policy and environmental justice, and the literary and philosophical legacy of human encounters with the non-human world. A capstone course will allow each student to research a distinct perspective on a contemporary environmental issue. A major in Environmental Studies might lead to a career in a variety of fields, including public policy, environmental education, eco-tourism, marketing or consulting, journalism, or advocacy.
Or, natural resources? Again from UCONN:

Quote:
This major, offered by the Department of Natural Resources and the Environment, prepares students for careers related to the management of natural resources. Students develop skills in applying modern technology, concepts and principles dealing with sustainable development, environmental protection and resource conservation. In addition to the core requirements, all students must complete one or more of the following concentrations: Climate and Water Resources, Environmental Conservation, Fisheries and Wildlife Conservation, Forest Resources, or Geomatics. (For detailed information, please refer to:
This is UCONN's undergraduate course catalogue if you want to check it out. I clicked into their College of Agriculture and Natural Resources. It's not the area you wanted, but maybe it'll give you course ideas?

Closed Thread