TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Little Brother's Project - September 29th 2013, 11:27 PM

Hey guys!

My little brother has a project where he has to interview about fire safety. He asked me to post the questions online and have my friends on here answer them.

So, if you have a few minutes, there's a few questions.

What do you think is the most important thing to remember to do, or not to do, in the kitchen to prevent a fire?

What would you do if something were to catch on fire while you working in the kitchen?

What kitchen safety rules do you have for children that would prevent them from starting a fire or getting burned?

Thanks guys!

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Little Brother's Project - September 30th 2013, 12:18 AM

What do you think is the most important thing to remember to do, or not to do, in the kitchen to prevent a fire?

well I'd make sure the olive oil bottle isn't near the stove....that's what first comes to mind. Don't let anything near the stove that can catch on fire...oil is usually a big one though.

What would you do if something were to catch on fire while you working in the kitchen?

I'd run it over cold water, immediately. Also rolling it over multiple times.

I'm honestly not sure what I would do. Try not to panic and make them "stop drop and roll" if it was me and say my hand was burnt I'd run it over cold water

What kitchen safety rules do you have for children that would prevent them from starting a fire or getting burned?
If it's children I wouldn't let them use the oven/stove unless I or another adult is supervising...if they're old enough to use the oven, I'd make them use a rag clothes/oven mittens when putting things in and out

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
PSY Offline
Hugh Jackman ♥

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Robin

Re: Little Brother's Project - September 30th 2013, 04:33 AM

Don't leave anything unattended when you're cooking on the stove top!

One time, I caught a dish rag on fire. I threw it into the sink, and I didn't even have to run water over it - the fire went out in a few seconds. So that's probably what I would do if anything like that happened again. Toss it in the sink, and run water over it IF it's not a grease fire.

If I had children, I would tell them they can't work unattended. They can't work with anything that's beyond their reach (they might accidentally pull something down and get burned).

(#4 (permalink)) Old
01Xzebra23 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Little Brother's Project - September 30th 2013, 04:50 AM

That's a cool project your brother's working on.

Stay with whatever's cooking and make sure not to keep the drying towel too close to the stove.

Scream like a little school girl then duck and roll. Lol kidding, I'd most likely throw it in the sink and run cold water over it if it was like, a rag.

Same as Robin, if I had children I'd set a rule that they can't work unattended.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Little Brother's Project - September 30th 2013, 11:07 PM

Pay attention! I think that's the key thing that I can think of, pay attention and make sure you don't have any loose clothing near any sort of open flame. If you're paying attention you'll be able to put things out before they get to a bad point.

I'd probably be too scared to touch it. Get someone if there's someone close by, but if not I guess I'd have to like, bolt to the kitchen sink.

What kitchen safety rules do you have for children that would prevent them from starting a fire or getting burned

I totally agree with Robin, don't leave a child unattended if they are cooking. And if they're working in the kitchen and need help, whether it's with getting something/doing a certain thing, make sure they know they can ask, because it's better to be safe than sorry. I'd also remind them to always pay attention, if they're working in the kitchen don't go off and do something else.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Little Brother's Project - October 1st 2013, 12:44 AM

Thanks for your replies, guys! I'll let you know what his grade on it is

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

They whispered to her
you cannot withstand the storm
she whispered back
i am the storm.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Little Brother's Project - October 1st 2013, 12:07 PM

Well, obviously make sure that you don't leave the stove or oven running. And I have to turn off the barbeque too, which is technically outside but its part of the kitchenesque cooking realm. I also had to train my cats to stay off the counters when I was cooking, usually I don't care, but when the stove is on and stuff I just want them to stay off. And obviusly don't do stupid stuff like like cooking so badly you set fire to your food or sticking an aluminun cup/tray or spoons into the microwave

If it is something small I'd just dump water on it.... If it is a pan with oil on it DO NOT dump water on it, but obviously get it off the heat and find some other way to smother it... If it's like, my entire oven I'm probably screwed, but the chances of your entire oven or counter spontaenously combusting in some massive flame isn't that likely so what ever

I don't have kids.
But when I was a kid it was things like we could only use certain kitchen appliances at certain ages without supervision, like the microwave or toaster and we gradually got more responsibility as we got older so that we weren't using things that we would set fire to something or hurt ourselves before we were old enough to do it
If I had kids I'd just make sure they were aware of how to be safe... And obviously I'm not going to let a 4 year old use the stove, it'd be like they'd help me make the cookies, but I'd put them in the oven and as they get older I'd start letting them use certain things on their own, first with supervision, then without... And I'd definitely teach them how to cook too, I feel like not knowing how to use stuff in the kitchen could definitely be a large cause for concern, I mean, I guess someone who is versed in cooking could still set fire to stuff but you'd be less likely to accidentally make a cooking related mistake I think

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread