TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
bellabella136 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Post I can't revise - October 9th 2013, 05:24 PM

Title says it all really . I really want to get into a good college/sixth form (basically anywhere except my current school), I do like 13 gcses and am a straight A girl but I just can't be bothered to put the work in. Sometimes, I just flat-out refuse to revise but other times, I pretend to revise but flick the screen and go on fb or something (I'm actually supposed to be doing physics hw right now! ) Also, I can actually be really focused and even the slightest noise can put me off but most of the time, I get bored/distracted soooooooooo easily and can have trouble concentrating on one task. If I don't understand something, I will just sit there the whole time for fear of looking dumb. Once, I was in maths and we were doing quadratic equations which practically impossible for a dumbass like me and I just sat at the back of the class on the phone 4 the whole lesson. Plz help + give me advice on how to focus and properly revise coz I can't go on the way I am xxx Lol soz for the rant but it feels good to let it out

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: I can't revise - October 9th 2013, 08:29 PM

Hey there,

I can definitely relate to this! Revision isn't supposed to be enjoyable or anything, but it needs to be done, and when you're bored that can make it hard, so I found that by looking for more enjoyable revision techniques, you can revise for longer and with better results. I'll give you a few of the methods I used.

Spider diagrams
If you like things to be fun looking and colourful, using these can help. Turn off your computer and any music, put yourself in a room with no distractions and whip out the coloured pens and highlighters. You can be as detailed as you like, and colour code things, highlight things, and make revision more arty than wordy. Plus, if you're a visual learner then these can help literally map things out and draw connections on your mind to help you remember things easier.

Discussions
I hated sitting down on my own to revise - it rarely worked very well for me and when it did I got stressed and upset because I couldn't feel it going in. So I started finding a study group. Find a few people in your class who revise well in groups, test each other, make presentations for each other, teach each other. Find out what they know, tell them what you know, make it interactive and fun. You can have a laugh while you revise and time passes quicker. Also, because it's different to your usual sit down and study in silence, you might remember it more through association of people and places.

Games
Games saved me a bit at AS. My favourite was the word association game. Again, get together a group of people, or maybe tell your class teacher about this and get everyone involved. Someone starts off with a word relating to, say physics, and the next person has to say a word which is associated with the first word. you go around the group and each time you have to find a new word or phrase or person or something related to the previous one. If you can't think of one, you're out of the game, and the person left at the end is the winner. It makes revision competitive, which can actually lead you to remember more than you thougt you could in my experience, and of course it's fun! Be creative with games too. Create quizes that don't involve you sitting down all the time. For revision, my teachers made quizzes with rounds, and after every round someone from the group would have to run to get the questions for the next round, so you weren't just sitting down all the time, it was interactive, energetic and fun.

A well known journey
Okay, so I've worded that pretty badly. This was a memory technique I learnt about in psychology A level and it basically involves a journey you know very well. For example, your journey to school every day must be one you know pretty well, right? So take different points along the journey, and associate them with part of your revision. For example, you mentioned the quadratic equation. Take each part of the equation and put it along the journey to school mentally, so that as you go to school, you're gradually learning the equation in order. You can do this with keywords too, maybe physically put them around the house so that as you walk around your house, you're passively taking in the keywords and learning them without having to really try too much. Put them in places you spend a lot of time, like the toilet, or the fridge, or the wall behind your computer. That way you're not stressing yourself out too much, you're looking at it every now and then, and hopefully learning something from it.

Keep your books open!
My sociology teacher gave me this technique and it's a bit of a life saver. If you have revision sheets already made, stick them up. You've written it down, now it has to go in, so put it up and then when you walk past or do something, glance over it briefly. If you have texts books and you're cooking dinner or something, have them open on the side next to you and skim over the words. This way you're multi tasking and taking in little bits of information at a time which isn't too overwhelming, and mixed in with other techniques is actually super useful. If I hadn't used this technique, I wouldn't have got my grades that I did at A level!

Take breaks!
The final tip is to take breaks, because I cannot stress how important this is! Your mind gets tired just like your body and needs to rest too. It's like when you run and run and run and at the end your legs just want to give out, and you keep running but you're getting slower and slower until you just can't run anymore. If your mind keeps running and running and running, it'll get the the point where you're not really helping yourself anymore. Try and stick to the school time table or something. So if you have 1 hour periods, study in 1 hour shifts, then take a 10 minute break to do some exercise or read a book or make some food. Then go back and do another hour, or 30 minutes or something. Take regular breaks and don't over do it. It's all well and good wanting to revise better and for longer, but if you do it and you're too tired to take anything in, it's made pointless.

They're my top tips. I was in your position about a year or 2 ago, and we all have to learn some time, so it's great that you're doing this now because when college starts, it'll be tough! GCSEs are stressful but A levels are worse, so if you can master this now, you'll fly through revision at A level!

I hope this helped a bit. If you need anything else, feel free to ask.
Take care and good luck!
Hollie.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#3 (permalink)) Old
bellabella136 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Talking Re: I can't revise - October 10th 2013, 04:54 PM

Thanx that's really helpful and informative xxx Lol once again, I'm supposed to be doing hw

Closed Thread