TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Education and Careers Work of any kind can get stressful at times. Ask in this forum if you need help with coursework, applications, and more.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Writing a paper for a course where we're learning... well... nothing - October 14th 2013, 10:11 PM

Ok, so I am taking a sociology course, senior year, about inequality. I feel like the professor isn't teaching us anything. 2 classes have already been canceled. To be fair 1 class was replaced with a presentation on a different day but what ever. I feel like the professor isn't really teaching us anything but is super particular about what she wants us to do.

I know the course topic seems obvious to the minds eye, but I feel like if the prof tried harder to teach us stuff it wouldn't be so hard to come up with a good idea because I would know if she thought my idea is good or not.

The reality is that she's a bitch. She teaches good and is a fair marker but I feel like she's rude to us unnecessarily. I don't know how to handle this situation because there has always been something about sociology professors that just drive me to hate most of them even though they're perfectly competent teachers, so I am not sure what to do here.

I have a paper topic in mind, but because of how the class is I am having a hard time getting comfortable with it!!! And I don't know what to do here. This is going to be one of those classes that causes my anxiety to skyrocket for no good reason. And aside from the fact that I need my grades to be decent to apply for a masters I'm sorta hitting where I am like "who the fuck cares!!" I am really just over feeling like shit over school (which is how I've felt ever since I got here) and I don't like how this course is starting to build up in my mind.

I know the logical solution might just be to talk to my prof but she's the kind of person who'll just make it sound like "if only I did my work then it'd be ok..." uhm, excuse me bitch but I work my ass off, thank you very much, just because I haven't started things that are due 3-4 weeks from now doesn't change that fact, I'll get to my work when I have the time to get around to it. So I feel like that's not an option... Like I said, there is just something about a lot of sociology professors that I find abrasive and offensive even if they're otherwise good teachers, so I am not sure how to handle this issue when I cannot consult the teacher of the class.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: Writing a paper for a course where we're learning... well... nothing - October 14th 2013, 10:48 PM

I know you said you don't feel like you can speak to her but it could be worth trying, just to see what happens. If you really can't or it doesn't work, you could try and go to someone higher up than her and express your concerns to them. It isn't fair on you to have a teacher who isn't teaching you well enough yet expects you to do the work well.

Closed Thread